PDA

View Full Version : Rooting OTA Version

Mike7143
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Obviously the leaked gingerbread was rooted for us already. Will we easily (1-click?) be able to root the OTA gingerbread when it comes out?

Also, what does everyone think about any impact on an OTA release from Verizon that this leak has. Do you think that Verizon looks at us and says, "Gee, the leak is out, pressure is off for us to get this out the door to them!"? Do you think the leak has any affect on its release at all? Or maybe they're trying to get it out asap since we're running a leaked version and maybe? non-rooted/hacking customers are still complaining?

Just curious.

macpro88
03-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Obviously the leaked gingerbread was rooted for us already. Will we easily (1-click?) be able to root the OTA gingerbread when it comes out?

Also, what does everyone think about any impact on an OTA release from Verizon that this leak has. Do you think that Verizon looks at us and says, "Gee, the leak is out, pressure is off for us to get this out the door to them!"? Do you think the leak has any affect on its release at all? Or maybe they're trying to get it out asap since we're running a leaked version and maybe? non-rooted/hacking customers are still complaining?

Just curious.

So far there is no one-click root method for GB, but I am sure someone is working on it.

And if we got GB, then yes, VZW will release it, even though there are a lot of us here, we represent a very small percentage of actual Droid X users that are not here on the forums, as well as people not wanting any thing to do with root.

You can almost count on a OTA from VZW for GB. Hopefully within the next few weeks. I think the biggest reason they leak it is to see how the Dev community reacts to it. No necessarily to plug the root and other exploits, but just to see if they like it in general.

lynneddington
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Dont know about the devs...but the forum likes it.

mikeinrichmond
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
DX users > rooted users > rooted/romm'ed users > GB users.

No, VZW will not hurry their OTA GB release because of us on the leak..Guaranteed ..

(Swypin' GB on the go)

mahagam3r
03-31-2011, 01:32 PM
if I'm rooted with a custom rom, how would I get the ota release?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

zoe
03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
the suits at VZW really aren't going to think as rationally as people would like to give them credit. just because we like and use the leak, they're more concerned about getting an OTA that keeps the general users eyes tied to the bundled bloat from their partners and advertisers.
I'd guess this leak may even push back the OTA longer if it was so quickly rooted, they want you to see that 'city id' thing and all the ads, it's likely a harder sell for them if it's demonstrated that people are quick to remove the things that generate money for them.

troDDen
03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
if I'm rooted with a custom rom, how would I get the ota release?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

You will need to sbf (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html) or maderstock (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html) back to 2.3.34 and the get the OTA update

Almostghosts
04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I personally think that verizon is intentionally stalling gingerbread for the dx because the thunderbolt is running froyo. They don't want people to buy a $150 dx because of gb instead of the $250 thunderbolt, which aside from 4g has very similar specs.

timmy113
04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I think that by leaking the ota they still bring light to bloat. I'm still affraid to root my phone for fear of a brick. And whenpeople research root they come across the bloat which then pits it in the mind of the person reading up. I've tried some of the bloat because I found out about it through root research.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

macpro88
04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I think that by leaking the ota they still bring light to bloat. I'm still affraid to root my phone for fear of a brick. And whenpeople research root they come across the bloat which then pits it in the mind of the person reading up. I've tried some of the bloat because I found out about it through root research.

Its actually impossible to brick the phone just from rooting, its when you flash things in bootstrap or do firmware updates in RSD Lite and bootloader that bricking becomes a fear, but to be honest, I have bricked my phone several times, and have yet to not recover from one, with all the tools we have and all the help here in the forums, its almost impossible to actually permanently brick your phone.

noXcuse
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Yea, I've bricked mine 2 times. No big deal. I've only seen one person on this forum that wasn't able to recover from a brick.

Sent from Gingerbread

Smittys
04-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I think the guy who couldn't recover from a brick couldn't because there wasn't a 2.2.1 full system SBF available. Im not rooted anymore. im a technologically inclined person, but I've found that when it comes down to my phone, rooting isn't really for me. I have no use for it.

Nerdslogic
06-05-2011, 06:28 PM
That is exactly why I won't be rooting the X2 until there is an SBF available.