PDA

View Full Version : Wirless Tether? 3g HotSpot? I can't get either one to work on GB. Please help.

rjizle4shizl
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
I cannot get Wireless tether or 3g Hot Spot to work on GB.

I SPF'd, rooted, backed up, then flashed pre-rooted GB, then flashed pre-rooted deodexed GB.

I really need to tether because I have no internet at my house.

Any help is welcome.

skennelly
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
+1. 3g hotpot will connect to my laptop, it shows a good connection, but my computer says no internet connection. I read the other thread on this matter however, there didn't seem to be any resolution. It worked for some and not for others.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

Snow02
03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Give it time. My computer has to be connected for a couple of minutes before the internet link becomes active.

skennelly
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Give it time. My computer has to be connected for a couple of minutes before the internet link becomes active.

Is that everytime, or just the initial setup?

Read that in the other thread last night and tried it, but my laptop still said no internet connection. Maybe I still didn't give it enough time.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

mandog202
03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
try this, its like wireless tether
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_0-pre12.apk&can=2&q=
i installed it this morning and its been working fine for me

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Snow02
03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Yep. That works great. Thanks.

rjizle4shizl
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
try this, its like wireless tether
wifi_tether_v3_0-pre12.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.0-pre12 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_0-pre12.apk&can=2&q=)
i installed it this morning and its been working fine for me

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing.

jackelbait
03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Also TBH has the 3G HOTSPOT Patcher that fixes the issues.... makes the VZW 3GHotspot work and free

paboater76
04-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I had the same issue, I had to SBF to .340 and load a backup of Liberty. I use the hotstop/ wireless tether at work as my only means of getting online, so it had to work everytime. I'll keep watching for a solution or fix. I also flashed TBH's 3g hack and it made no difference.

may0799
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Mine did not work either until I started it through the settings menu instead of tapping the icon in the app drawer. Go to menu-settings-wireless & Networks- Tethering and mobile hotspot. Activate and set it up there. Could be coincidence, but mine never worked till I started it that way.

Just for a little background I was on New Blur before flashing GB. never did the sbf. came from system version 3.4.2 with the tbh tether patch installed. Wiped cache, but not Data. Did not reapply the tether patch.

Mike7143
04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Also TBH has the 3G HOTSPOT Patcher that fixes the issues.... makes the VZW 3GHotspot work and free

Sorry I'm a little late to this patch game. From my understanding, I just flash the patch in Clockwork and it allows me to use the built in "3G Mobile Hotspot" for free since Verizon sees my attached computer data as phone data and therefore less suspecting of the tethering. Obviously I can't go crazy and use gobs of data as that will be a flag. So if I flash this I can effectively get rid of Barnacle? I understand there's a little concern with 3G Mobile Hotspot being built in and therefore may still be able to be monitored, but I wanted to get the basics down.

Mike7143
04-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Will the patch even work on the rooted GB?

d3vilfish
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Here is what works for me. Apply the TBH patch. Start the 3g hotpot. Connect computer. Wait about 2 minutes or so. Right around that time my 3g connection drops for a few seconds then comes back. Computer can now surf the net.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

cruckus
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I used the tbh patch but im not sure about doing too much after hearing that spyware will be added to phones to see if your using it illegally with the new gingerbread unless you actually look at the program and know what your doing which I dont I would be careful just to make sure they don't cancel your service or stop your internet

jedifoamy
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Any time o use widow tether I get this thing on the browser telling me to get the 20$ tethering plan
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mikeinrichmond
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
@Jedifoamy Please do not cross post the same question to multiple threads.

havensed
04-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Flash the patch above.

Sent from my super DC on rooted gingy. overclocked to 1250.

shawn
04-05-2011, 12:15 AM
? The free promo on hotspot I thought was just for the thunder bolt deal is when I start the hotspot app out dissent take me to the screen asking me to pay the $20 and I haven't installed the patch any ideas

tweaked blue ginger

Detonation
04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
It looks like the app linked above is the newer version of this: https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether

Which no longer works for me (Gets stuck at "Obtaining IP address..."). I'll give the new one a try and see how it goes.

Edit: looks like this one works!

otyler46
04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm running the rooted GB and 3g hotspot actually works for me. I'm just wondering why it does though. I connect to it and never get the verizon page that tells me I need to pay to use the service. I did flash the TBH patch back when running a 2.2 rom but have not flashed it since I started running GB. So pretty much I'm wondering if its ok for me to use the 3g hotspot or if im secretly being charged, monitored, etc.

armyjeffries
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm running the rooted GB and 3g hotspot actually works for me. I'm just wondering why it does though. I connect to it and never get the verizon page that tells me I need to pay to use the service. I did flash the TBH patch back when running a 2.2 rom but have not flashed it since I started running GB. So pretty much I'm wondering if its ok for me to use the 3g hotspot or if im secretly being charged, monitored, etc.

Did you SBF to install GB? If not, then the patch is still active from when you flashed it on 2.2. I read the the patch is applied to the radio, not system data, so it will remain indefinately (unless you SBF)

That being said, My 3g patch was installed on 2.2, and I rarely get my 3g to work. I'mon rooted GB now, and the app starts and computer will connect, but will not get data. Rarely after waiting a long while (like turn it on, leave, come back 30-45mins later) it MIGHT work. That has not been the case today. I've left it on for an hour, and shut it off and re-started the app, even rebooted phone and started it and left it for an hour. Results are widely varied with the 3g hotspot (and other tethering apps) working, from what I've seen.

drquinones
04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
hello all,

i'm fairly new to the droid world, even newer to rooting, patching, etc. i'm running GB rooted but i'm not 100% sure how to patch this. i've downloaded the patch using the TBH app. i've found the .zip file but i'm not certain how to install it. do i use the same method of using the droidx bootstrapper boot to recovery mode and navigate to the .zip like i did to install GB?