PDA

View Full Version : Clarity: Zagg InvisiShield vs Steinheil Ultra Crystal

thescreensavers
07-29-2010, 11:58 PM
The Blackberry Storm in the picture is equipped with Zagg's InvisiShield **Has been on the phone for ~5 months**

On the Droid X is SGP's Steinheil Ultra Crystal **Has been on the phone for 6 Days**

Click to enlarge

Is this a 100% fair comparison? no, not at all, but most of what you are seeing is the orange peel associated with Zagg's Screen protectors which do effect the clarity.

So take this as you see it, I dont want to hear complaints on how its not exactly fair but it does give a ok comparison.

Derek
07-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I just received my Zagg front only screen protector and really like it. I installed it and noticed it did not align flush with the edges, so I pushed firmly in the spots it lacked twice and it snugged perfectly into place, can't see the edges.

Could you please explain the orange peel effect? whats that mean?

My only problem with the Zagg is that I (dumbass) got a tiny tiny tiny cloth hair underneath the protector, ARGGGGGGGGGGG

Oh, and I had the Zagg for the Incredible, it actually improved the touch sensitivity significantly. I haven't noticed as great of an improvement on the X (feels better though, softer, in a good way) but saw another post saying his sensitivity was much better. so put that under the pros column.

didiwags
07-30-2010, 12:38 AM
I just got the Steinheil in the mail today and I LOVE it!!! You really can see the difference in your pics!!!

irod87
07-30-2010, 01:07 AM
All these comparisons are really making me want to replace my zagg with the steinheil. The only thing I dislike about the zagg is that orange peal look that the steinheil doesn't have.

PeaceMaker
07-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I just received my Zagg front only screen protector and really like it. I installed it and noticed it did not align flush with the edges, so I pushed firmly in the spots it lacked twice and it snugged perfectly into place, can't see the edges.

Could you please explain the orange peel effect? whats that mean?

My only problem with the Zagg is that I (dumbass) got a tiny tiny tiny cloth hair underneath the protector, ARGGGGGGGGGGG

Oh, and I had the Zagg for the Incredible, it actually improved the touch sensitivity significantly. I haven't noticed as great of an improvement on the X (feels better though, softer, in a good way) but saw another post saying his sensitivity was much better. so put that under the pros column.
If you take a look at the skin on an angle you can see that its not as "smooth" as the original glass. It has unique texture to it; I believe this is what people are referring to as the "orange peel" look... I'm not 100% sure on this.

thescreensavers
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
^ Yep

http://www.bonappetit.com/images/tips_tools_ingredients/ingredients/ttar_orange_01_h_launch.jpg

Here is another picture of Zagg's invisiShield
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/OZIDJ/is_4.jpg

See the similarities to an orange peel?

holydroid
07-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I had the Zagg installed today at Best Buy. It feels okay and the screen looks clear. However, if you look at an angle, you can definitely see the "orange peel" on the screen.

BTW, I paid $16 for the ZAGG with installation.

omnicious
07-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I can say that it pretty much looks the same with Bodyguardz except Bodyguardz has less, if not none, of the orange peel effect. So if you really like Zagg but want it a bit clearer I suggest Bodyguardz. The Steinheil's though are above both.

thescreensavers
07-31-2010, 12:01 AM
I had the Zagg installed today at Best Buy. It feels okay and the screen looks clear. However, if you look at an angle, you can definitely see the "orange peel" on the screen.

BTW, I paid $16 for the ZAGG with installation.

Yea the screen is "clear" but not "Crystal clear" the orange peel does effect clarity a bit, just you can see it easier at an angle, if you like yours thats cool.

InfamousDX
07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I hope all the zaggs don't look like that. I would be pissed if my expensive phone had orange peel on the screen protector.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thescreensavers
07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
^ Yes all Zaggs do it pretty much the cheap material they use always will have orange peel it comes from the manufacturing, if they really wanted to get rid of orange peel they would, but they dont need to since 80% or more people have no idea what Orange Peel is, and they just claim it as a "Feature"

James
07-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Also, if for some reason you MUST go with Zagg, don't. Go with the skins from bestskinsever.com, it is the exact same material for only $4 or $6 depending on the coverage.

InfamousDX
08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
All the Zaggs aren't like this are they? Can it be chalked up to bad installation perhaps? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here (though I'm a Steinheil user myself).

PeaceMaker
08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
All the Zaggs aren't like this are they? Can it be chalked up to bad installation perhaps? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here (though I'm a Steinheil user myself).

I believe all of their products are like this. I have it on my MacBook and have the same effect.

gardobus
08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
The main reasons I want a Zagg are the warranty (take it in if it rips, tears, peels, etc and get free replacement), the scratch resistance (the steinheil looks like it will scratch easier and attract more finger prints), and the installation is included if i buy locally (sounds lazy but I always always always get dust under my covers and it pisses me off).

But I haven't bought one yet because if that damn orange peel!!!

Valle
08-08-2010, 01:46 AM

Ya they all look like it. I had one on my itouch and my Dare and both had the orange peel effect and to me, both had a very spongy feel to it. I removed them within a week. i'll never use invisishield again.....live and learn i guess.

dulaney22
08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
To the posters who wonder if they are "all" like that, yes they are. They will have a tacky feel and they will give your screen a more yellowish hue (not much but it is there). Don't make the mistake of thinking otherwise.

RanballX
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice comparison. I put a Zagg on my DX on day one. Not only do I believe that a wet application for a display protector is just plain stupid but the orange peel effect and lack of "glass" feel made me order the Steinheil Ultra Clear immediately. Had to wait nearly a week for the Steinheil to arrive but OMG it was soooooooo worth it. The Zagg did its job protecting my display while I waited for the Steinheil but I could hardly wait to rip the stupid thing off. The Steinheil is the best hands down and I will never - that's right - never purchase any other screen protector for any device I ever own.

PeaceMaker
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Just put on the steinheil yesterday and it is very clear and was pretty easy to install. i was super patient and careful when applying, but came out real nice. as many others have mentioned it was very tacky immediately after installation. but after 30min-1hr it was smoother than glass. I think its because of the oils from the fingers filling the micro grooves in the material; allowing us to glide over it easily.

DOCTOR X
08-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I had the Zagg on my BB it did a good job of protecting the screen but the OP was always noticeable. I am ordering the Steinheil, I cant wait.

DOCTOR X
08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the nice comparison. It really help make a decision on what screen protector to go with. If I am like most DXers I want only the best for my phone.

InfamousDX
08-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Just saw my friend's iphone4 with Zagg and the orange peel was noticeable and the feel of it was soft as hell. No way in hell for me.

AndroidScott
09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice comparison. I put a Zagg on my DX on day one. Not only do I believe that a wet application for a display protector is just plain stupid but the orange peel effect and lack of "glass" feel made me order the Steinheil Ultra Clear immediately. Had to wait nearly a week for the Steinheil to arrive but OMG it was soooooooo worth it. The Zagg did its job protecting my display while I waited for the Steinheil but I could hardly wait to rip the stupid thing off. The Steinheil is the best hands down and I will never - that's right - never purchase any other screen protector for any device I ever own.

I had the EXACT same reaction. HATED the Zagg from the moment I installed it. Waited a day. Still looked bad, so I took advantage of Zagg's 45 day refund policy, and removed it and sent it back. Ordered an Steinheil based on the comments here. I'll report back once the Steinheil arrives and is installed.

CrashF16
09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
I've tried the Zagg Invisible Shield, the Steinheil Ultra Clear, and the Verizon anti-glare...

The Zagg is easily my favorite! It's super clear and has great sensitivity, plus it offers incredibly protection (sounds like a Trojan ad).
The Verizon one was great but not as clear, and the Steinheil had potential but it peeled around the edges and looked really bad. Steinheil's customer service wasn't all that great either. If you've ever called Zagg, you know they are awesome to work with. It has a lifetime warranty for replacements as well.

PenzMan
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Hmmm...your comparing reflections though. When you see the screen content THROUGH these two protectors, can you honestly tell a difference? I currently have a Zagg on my Droid X and its pretty awesome IMO, but I am not thrilled about how you install it. Its really tough to not get a tiny piece of dust under there when you put it on!!

InfamousDX
09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmmm...your comparing reflections though. When you see the screen content THROUGH these two protectors, can you honestly tell a difference? I currently have a Zagg on my Droid X and its pretty awesome IMO, but I am not thrilled about how you install it. Its really tough to not get a tiny piece of dust under there when you put it on!!

Actually.. yes aboslutely. My friend went Zagg on his DX and the exact same pic on our phones looks noticeably different. He later ordered a Steinheil, lol

hondatech33
09-20-2010, 12:51 AM
which one works the best for fingers prints and keeping the screen clean?