PDA

View Full Version : Warning!! Read this before flashing the Gingerbread leak from Team Black Hat

mikeinrichmond
03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
This is a warning for those looking to flash the leaked Gingerbread version from Team Black Hat. I have been doing some experimentation today with GB and here are my findings:

1. Once you flash Gingerbread you cannot return to your old 2.3.340 system by using the Maderstcok.zip file. You will get stuck at the M logo or bootloop.

2. Once you flash Gingerbread you cannot return to your old 2.3.340 system by restoring an old backup. You will get stuck at the M logo or bootloop.

3. You can use the TBH app's Monster.zip file called (full2.3.340 SBF file) (update.zip format)) in the TBH app to go back to 2.3.340, but Do NOT try and re-flash GB without doing a full SBF from a computer first. You will get stuck at the M logo or bootloop.

So if you are not familiar with how to perform an SBF but you want Gingerbread, know that you cannot go back until you learn how to do it. Here's the SBF flashing Guide. (thanks Maderschramm)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106306

Note Do NOT use any SBF file besides the full 2.3.340 sbf file. Get the SBF file, RSDLite (4.9 is the latest, but others have had success with the earlier versions as well) and the Moto drivers (whether 32 bit or 64 bit) for Windows here:

Droid X SBF files (http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/) (thanks 1KDS)

1KDS's has also created an all in one SBF solution. He packed a small Linux distribution along with all the files needed into one .iso file that can be burned and booted from cd or USB drive. Nothing to install, Windows users! A couple of clicks and you're SBF'ing.. It just doesn't get any easier than this folks! Here is the thread:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Genius! Prevention is always better than reaction.. good call ;)

May I add that people should SBF on a full charge, and take AT LEAST 10-20 minutes reading a little bit about SBF'ing if its their first time
Every time I was hasty... I paid for it... :(

Thanks again for the prevention thread.

Come one, come all.. get you gingerbread problems vaccine... lol

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Its cool u posted this. I've seen some people that ain't even rooted b4, rooting to just install this. I've also seen a few people try to load a 340 rom. Lol

KornShukka

C Dippa
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Was wondering about a lot of this...very glad you tested it. Thanks Mike!

I nominate you to stick yourself...would you mind if I added this info to the FAQs as well?

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
The more places the better. I am about to rock that FAQ thread in my sig. Thanks for that C Dippa.. nice move! Keepin some order in this disorderly time.. lol

{{ WugFresh }}

Getsome122
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Another reason I will wait for ota and root of that version....

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.

mikeinrichmond
03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Was wondering about a lot of this...very glad you tested it. Thanks Mike!

I nominate you to stick yourself...would you mind if I added this info to the FAQs as well?

Please do...And I already did..LOL...

mikeinrichmond
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.

Wait if you like, but this will likely be true with the OTA version as well. There has just been too much changed between Gingerbread and Froyo to get there with a shortcut, and without a full SBF wipe..

TheJustPull
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Way to be a modern paul revere warning all.

Rooted gingerbread waiting a rom.

psychotic_penguin
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Well Mike at least all that you went through today has some merit, you know what not to do and what to do.

As Wug said...people we can't stress this enough read the instructions, do some research learn the right way not the wrong way that leads to hours of nail biting terror thinking "What have I done, my phone's bricked"! Just a little note I've only heard of one person that did so much damage to their phone that it wasn't restorable, that's right one and that was quite some time ago.

Take your time too, there's no prize for being first and haste makes waste. When you hurry there's always the chance of missing a vital step that throws a wrench into what you're doing.

There's so much information on this and other forums, it's there as a tool for you, use them they really work. Take some friendly advise and read before you act. You'll be happy when you're done and running, that few minutes that you took getting prepared is nothing compared to the time you'll spend fixing a mistake.

1KDS
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice write up Mike! Thanks for being the DXF canary.

lynneddington
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Very nice. Im really liking gingerbread.

Getsome122
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Wait if you like, but this will likely be true with the OTA version as well. There has just been too much changed between Gingerbread and Froyo to get there with a shortcut, and without a full SBF wipe..

I keep considering it. Maybe in a few days. I have the urge to unlock and root my Xoom when I get home tonight. Haha

JNEHAMA
03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Thank you very much for the information. It makes it very clear what needs to be done. I cant imagine wanting to go back but you never know what may come up.And I want to thank everybody who contributed threads and how to's and links that allowed me to travel safely to rooted gingerbread. I used so many of them in the past 2 days I don't have all the names. I must of read the sbf thread and watched the videos over10 times but I was able to do my first SBF successfully with no panic and only one post. So THANK YOU and of course to P3 for the leak and especially the quick root. Gingerbread is really amazing and although there will be bumps in the road because of the changes its completely worth it!IMO!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

goblueboy
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
well i mean the instructions make sense. how could recovery flash you back to an older sbf? just doesn't seem likely

Womp
03-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I can't seem to flash back to .40, Gingerblur phone reboots itself during the RSDLite process....I seem to be stuck on using TBH's Monster.zip update. :/

mikeinrichmond
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Do the Monster.zip update and use it for a bit. My phone had issues almost immediately (screens opening closing on their own etc..) yours may not, and you can always SBF if problems appear. Just do not reflash GB until you do the full 2.3.340 SBF..

silver04v
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
So the monster flashable zip will get you to froyo but will give you issues? And you have to sbf with Rsd lite anyways? So only way back is a sbf really with rsd.

This thing is to much fun.

mikeinrichmond
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
So the monster flashable zip will get you to froyo but will give you issues? And you have to sbf with Rsd lite anyways? So only way back is a sbf really with rsd.

This thing is to much fun.

Yes, SBF is the only way back for now...

maybish
03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Wow this leaked thing seems to be more of a problem then good.... glad to see i won't be the only one waiting!!!

DesertRatBiggs
03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
...and take AT LEAST 10-20 minutes reading a little bit about SBF'ing if its their first time
Every time I was hasty... I paid for it... :(

{{ WugFresh }}

+479853246
YES DO EXACTLY THAT!!

GoBlue13
03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow this leaked thing seems to be more of a problem then good.... glad to see i won't be the only one waiting!!!

It's really not bad as long as you follow the directions.

Swyped from my OC'd GingyX

TideFan22
03-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep follow directions and you want have problems. That simple, and its well worth it. And if u want gingerbread rooted u better jump on board cause the ota may not be rootable till sometime, but who knows if its the same as tbh's. But I wouldn't put nothing by moto trying to make it unrootable

Kornshukka

lynneddington
03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Read read read. Then it should take and hour to be on rooted/deodexed gingy.

JNEHAMA
03-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Yep follow directions and you want have problems. That simple, and its well worth it

Kornshukka

+1000 worth it. And now it should be a one way trip for most people given that root and Deodexing is already available. I took the plunge because I thought root was going to take time and had to SBF back to redo it, but even that was worth it. I read all the threads, took time to download every thing I needed, checked file md5 sums and everything went smoothly. I love the look and behavior of 2,3! I don't expect to go back to froyo unless the ota version comes and is ROOTED! If you do it just do it slowly and follow directions. Good luck to anyone who does. You'll like where you end up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JNEHAMA
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Read read read. Then it should take and hour to be on rooted/deodexed gingy.

Amen to reading!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jonsgirl
03-31-2011, 03:33 PM
I got my X last September and it was my first Droid. I had the Envy 3 before if you can imagine. Anyway, I had been on this site reading before I ever got the phone. After having it for about 2 weeks I took the plunge. I can't say that I didn't hit minor bumps but I've read and read this board and have learned so much. My point is if you read and read and follow directions it's not as hard as it sounds. I successfully installed the prerooted GB to 2 phones in one afternoon and that included taking the time to sbf first. I typically choose the long, painful, cautious way because any time I try to cut corners or take shortcuts I pay for it in the long run. I love my phone and this board! :big smile: A big thanks to all of you that make this possible for those of us that start out not knowing the first thing about a Droid.

SVDroidDude
03-31-2011, 04:28 PM

I am waiting too. Cant take any "what if" chances. Rely too much on my X to take the chance. I was thinking I was the only one who hadn't gone Gingy ;)

upasakamiken
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I read and reread then i jumped in and went to GB. Have all the stuff to go back if i need to, but loving it so far. I do like that people care enough to let people know the risks as well as the rewards.

KStylez
04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm with all the other people saying "read, read, read." It's helped a few people out...

66racer
04-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the post

On the newest sbf from the link you provided, does anyone know what the file extension should be? windows 7 downloads it as a zip but cant extract, I renamed as a .sbf but the process didnt wanna start with rsd, Im currently sbf'ing with the system only sbf since i already had that and hope i dont bootloop

mikeinrichmond
04-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the post

On the newest sbf from the link you provided, does anyone know what the file extension should be? windows 7 downloads it as a zip but cant extract, I renamed as a .sbf but the process didnt wanna start with rsd, Im currently sbf'ing with the system only sbf since i already had that and hope i dont bootloop

If you can't extract it, you have a bad d/l, try again. The .zip file size should be 255 MB (268,164,103 bytes) and when it's unzipped the file is 434 MB (456,081,917 bytes)...

You cannot just rename the extension, it must be unzipped and the file within's extension is .sbf...

silver04v
04-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Can someone tell me why you cant flash back to gingerbread after you came from root ginger and flashed back to froyo with the monster zip in clockwork? If it has you on 2.3.340 and you factory reset, and all is good, why cant you go back to ginger root?

chipg07
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Everyone should have at least 1 computer with ubuntu on it, just because of how easy doing an sbf is on it...

No moto drivers and no glitchy rsdlite needed..

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

bsbabcock
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Everyone should have at least 1 computer with ubuntu on it, just because of how easy doing an sbf is on it...
No moto drivers and no glitchy rsdlite needed..
Download | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download)

Is that process as easy as the top link in my sig I posted? Using the Linux sbf_flash as opposed to the OS X version? I hope to try one of these this weekend.

Just discovered my op post in that thread is already obsolete.. He now has one sbf_flash file for Mac AND Linux.
http://blog.opticaldelusion.org/2011/04/universal-binaries-running-same.html#more

Ok.. Hijack done. :)

mikeinrichmond
04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Is that process as easy as the top link in my sig I posted? Using the Linux sbf_flash as opposed to the OS X version? I hope to try one of these this weekend.

The directions are nearly identical. Here's the Linux part of Maderschramms SBF guide:

"Extract the .sbf file to a directory (e.g. Documents)
Place the sbf_flash file into the same directory
Open up a terminal window
Change to the directory that the files are in. [cd] is the command you use, so if in Documents, type [cd Documents]
Ubuntu is caps sensitive, so you need to type the capital "D", if you type "ls" it lists all the files in the current directory you're in, so type [ls], if you see the files, you're golden.
Type [chmod +x sbf_flash] (ignore brackets) – this command makes sbf_flash an executable. If you've been rooting your phone with ADB Tools you've seen this command before.
Type [sudo ./sbf_flash [name of sbf file, starts with 'VRZ_']] (once again ignore the brackets) – this command runs the sbf_flash file. 'sudo' is the linux-y way of 'running as administrator' in Windows.
It will prompt you for your password - enter it.

Linux pro tip: type [./sbf_flash V] and then [tab]. This will autofill the rest of the name of the .sbf file for you :laugh:

That's it!"

WugFresh
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm about to copy paste that into a thread.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Flazell
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm thinking of trying gingerbread, currently I'm using liberty 1.5. I need some input on why gingerbread is so good.

<Swypn' on Da Fly>

hinds90
04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
LOL not sure what im doing wrong but ended up stuck in a bootloop and sbfing twice. I made sure I wiped data the second time still no luck.

fezrock
04-03-2011, 11:14 PM
LOL not sure what im doing wrong but ended up stuck in a bootloop and sbfing twice. I made sure I wiped data the second time still no luck.

Try the battery pull/factory reset 3 or 4 or 5 times and give it plenty of time to boot up each time. 5+ minutes I think.

hinds90
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
About to give it another go hopefully it works. Just don't want to SBf again.

Snow02
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
If you bootloop, just boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset. That will fix it.

hinds90
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Just tried a few times with the same results. I guess I could have got a bad download but I downloaded it for the tbh app. I've been waiting atleast 10min.

LOL i definately have sbfing down now though.

scottpole
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Hinds once you install gbroot.zip factory reset within clockwork before you reboot that's what I did and it booted first try. Ofcourse do this after you get another download of the zip

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

hinds90
04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
That's what I've been doing but ill redownload it and take everyone's advice.

closer
04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info.
Learning to do a full sbf should be the first thing that should be worked out before flashing any rom. I know how much it stinks when you need to do it and have no idea how. After you get setup and working its almost as easy as using clockwork.

hinds90
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Okay do I wipe data before I install the zip or after.

Edit: LOL about dang time. Now I get to see what all the hype is about.

djack93
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
what lin k do i down load to get this

bobbyz
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Im running the leak from tbh its the dxgbroot file I had to install twice first time was buggy but second time it boot looped like 3 minutes and then has been working great may try wiping data and reinstall worked for me. Off you go fella .... hope it helps

Xponentially Better
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
You should add in for people to make backups no? But cool didnt knkw about the maderstok thing. I have sbf'd my phone so many times its not even that big of a deal anymore lol. Once you do it a few times its just as easyas flashing a rom lol.

Mr X
04-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Very good post. Everyone needs to read this.

I'm running .588 and have no issues but this is still good information to have.

devilsephiroth
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Im on the black hat leak, and I can't download apps from market or download anything from browser. Should I sbf back to stock? Or how can i get downloads work? Everytime I try from market its saying download unsuccessful, try again. I'm desperate here. Got bricked at one point but I got back to the same. Problems, no downloads. Please help!!

devilsephiroth
04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
update, ran rsd lite 4.9 with current sbf, back on .340 froyo like brand new, and i still cant download apps from market, i don't know what is going on now, strange enough i can download from the amazon app store. is there anyone willing to help here?

bossco
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I was running gb did not like the leak because it made some apps crap out. Such as espn radio and my gallery. So I sbf back to. 340 I can hold off until the official release. There is a great how to video on youtube from team raw on how to use sbf.

C Dippa
04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
update, ran rsd lite 4.9 with current sbf, back on .340 froyo like brand new, and i still cant download apps from market, i don't know what is going on now, strange enough i can download from the amazon app store. is there anyone willing to help here?

I would do a factory reset to clear any data that might still be there causing problems.

Sent from my X to the interwebz

DX0962
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
A friend asked me if she could use maderstock sbf and sbf it back to stock ..I used the linux method for my dx can she just use the rsd Latest with maderstocks sbf file...im sure she can't but I was wrong before. Thx

Mmm no need for KY, ginger is slippery smooth!

C Dippa
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
No...definitely don't flash maderstock with RSD lite...

DX0962
04-20-2011, 12:14 AM
No...definitely don't flash maderstock with RSD lite...

Roger she has the monster sbf zip from tbh she could just use that right?..if all else fails ill just use linux like I used on mine.

silver04v
04-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Roger she has the monster sbf zip from tbh she could just use that right?..if all else fails ill just use linux like I used on mine.

No. Not the flashable monster zip either. For rsd you need the full 2.3.340 sbf file. Its in the sbf thread.

devilsephiroth
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I would do a factory reset to clear any data that might still be there causing problems.

Turns out it might have been my gmail account . Same issue was happening after I sbf back to froyo and liberty rom. A day later I started downloading again. Will try gingerbread later tonight after work