PDA

View Full Version : Who is planning on creating Custom ROMS for Gingerbread?

tech4him
03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I thought it might be good to start a thread to get a sense of who in the ROM creation world is planning on creating custom roms for Gingerbread now that the pre-release and root are available.

i.e. Should we expect a Rubix Focused, Apex, Liberty, etc... for Gingerbread? Others? (of course, nobody should expect anything if you don't support your devs. :big smile:)

Some of our notable devs have done such a fabulous job previously, just wondering. I'm not trying to raise expectations or put false pressure on anyone, just trying to get a gauge on the community over the next little while.

Thanks!

dAi
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Better yet, how can we make, theme, and create our own roms? I love and miss some of the DROIDX stock rom had. Ginger blur looks ugly with that white shadow in the back. I want to be able to change it some other color cuz it makes my wallpaper look crap. I like the new blur, don't get me wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

bsbabcock
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I think Drod said I believe no eta's but a GB rom is plausable.
Last I heard Fab swapped phones but that might not mean a DX GB rom is out of the question.
.. No eta's and I'm not askin'.

macpro88
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Drod2169, creator of rubiX, said he will, not ETA though, Fabulous of ApeX also said he will, no ETA either, JRummy16 for Liberty is also, again, no ETA, it will be some time before we start seeing awesome ROM's.

Remember, new OS, they are almost starting from scratch here....

ejgilkey
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
And with an ota on the way they may just wait until thats out.

cynkrzy
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
And with an ota on the way they may just wait until thats out.
I thought VZW killed the OTA idea ?

bsbabcock
03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I thought VZW killed the OTA idea ?

hehe.. Funny they're probably thinking "why bother, every DX and their brother has the leak (rooted).. Let's go through the motions I guess." LOL!
But seriously, I haven't read anything to suggest VZN is holding off on the OTA.. But I also haven't read anything to solidify any kind of ETA on the OTA.. "by the end of the month" is about it.

EJ makes a great point though, the OTA might possibly have a change or two from the leak/rooted version. It might be a different animal in one respect. If I were a big mean ole' manufacturer/carrier partnership, and I didn't want my OTA rooted and hacked, I'd probably leak a test version, see if they get it done, then OTA a version with that hole patched up. So naturally, if I were a ROM-dev, I'd want to see the final product and I'd consider the leak a fairly accurate 'beta'.

mikeinrichmond
03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Rumor has it VZW rejected the build Moto gave them, and told them to change whatever it was. Should be another few weeks at the least for an OTA update...

Getsome122
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah verizon probly told em to put more worthless crap we don't want on there anyway lol.

I think I am just gonna wait till its out OTA before I even mess with it.

Got my Xoom to play with now anyway. Still gotta get it unlocked and rooted.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.

idontliketolose
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Not me. If I put out a rom everyones phones would be bricked! Lol!

goblueboy
03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
anyone deodexed? i asked wug and he said "looks like I am not, waiting for dev to update xUltimate, was goin to use it and make a flashable zip... but it renders errors"

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
egilk513 told me that Sysadm1n_X is apparently working on one... sorry I failed. :(

Once its deodexed though I can start trying out some beta wugports I built for this gingerness :)

{{ WugFresh }}

ejgilkey
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
egilk513 told me that Sysadm1n_X is apparently working on one... sorry I failed. :(

Once its deodexed though I can start trying out some beta wugports I built for this gingerness :)

{{ WugFresh }}

I was telling Sysadm1n_X that you were working on one. Sorry if I confused you. :)

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Doh! that sucks... I better get back on the grind then.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

psychotic_penguin
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Wug you failed on a deodex? Wow is it that different, I suppose it is if you couldn't get it. With us getting root in what 18 hours after release deodex can't be far behind, ROMs as well.

I think the only thing I'll do is go deodex but stay stock, i like it that much and the Quads and Linpacks are just fine atm.

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I really am not the force in the deodexing game... the guy who built xUltimate is... and I took a hard look at his code.... he really did some work on that... there's a lot going on behind that.... it's a pretty sophisticated program. He hasn't updated it past froyo yet, but said that he is. All I was going to do was turn it into an update.zip which really isn't that hard. I tried messing with his program a little.... but obviosuly he is going to know his own code better than me.

All the deodexer update.zip does is delete odex files and overwrite the apk's with the deodexed versions... that's all. But actually rebundling in the odex information into the apk's is a whole other story... something I really don't fully understand. It's reliant on java... so that right there should tell you that its a little more involved.

{{ WugFresh }}

macpro88
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Wug you failed on a deodex? Wow is it that different, I suppose it is if you couldn't get it. With us getting root in what 18 hours after release deodex can't be far behind, ROMs as well.

I think the only thing I'll do is go deodex but stay stock, i like it that much and the Quads and Linpacks are just fine atm.

Agreed, the new Blur is really nice as well, just need a deodexer!!!!

WugFresh
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
All the information I found on deodexing was just like ... Use xUltimate. But I want to understand how xUltimate works.... I will keep looking at his code. But the chances of me fixing it before the actual dev does is slim.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
03-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Overall I like stock, I just would want to change all this teal

KornShukka

goblueboy
03-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Agreed, the new Blur is really nice as well, just need a deodexer!!!!

I am more of a aosp fan myself. This blur is meh. Could use some apex or something making it stable

bsbabcock
03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Rumor has it VZW rejected the build Moto gave them, and told them to change whatever it was. Should be another few weeks at the least for an OTA update...

$20 says the OTA will be "root-locked" more than the leak, and additional bloat I bet is a possibility. I dl'd the rooted gb zip from tbh, but I'm reluctant still.. I almost want to wait until the OTA itself has been cracked. I imagine GB will very probably be the last major update for these phones so once "root-able" (as opposed to a rooted build), the sky will be the limit on GB.

Ah.. The thought of LibertyGB, ApeXGB, RubiXGBFocused. :)

skennelly
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I tried gb all day yesterday. Had some issues with it booting properly. Similar to the issue before the .340 update.

I am now waiting for the Liberty update. I will try gb again when there is a blurless version. I love AOSP too much to go back to that awful blur. IMO, blur is clunky and disgusting.

Sent from my DROIDX in Western Illinois

WugFresh
03-30-2011, 04:25 PM
The deodexer works. I will be releasing a deodexer update.zip shortly. Stay tuned.

Porting themes to gingerbread very soon. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

goblueboy
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
The deodexer works. I will be releasing a deodexer update.zip shortly. Stay tuned.

Porting themes to gingerbread very soon. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

is the deodexer update.zip just able to use wugport on the old themes to gingerbread?

you know wug i would mind a WugRom tbh, and if you ever wanted to I would be willing to help, i don't know a lot about them but i can sure try to learn and help