PDA

View Full Version : DX running slow and choppy

Quagmire
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Hey all,

Before I continue, I am a newb, I am not afraid to say it.

OK. My DX is rooted using Z4, running clockwork mod, overclocking with DX/D2 Overclocker on occasion, titanium backup and droid x bootstrapper.

Currently not running any roms but wouldn't mind going into that world.

Basically what is happening is that my phone does not run very smooth. I believe I am having a lot of problems with launcher pro plus because it is constantly force closing during start up. It will do it a few times and then get the hang of it and run fine.

I will also get random reboots. It could be anything that triggers it, turning the phone to get to landscape mode in an app, opening up handcent, anything.

And its all around slow, like accessing the widgets for the homescreens. Ill hold down on a blank spot, the prompt with come up to select what I want, I select widgets, and then I have to wait a good 30 seconds for all fo the widgets to load. My guess is because I have a lot of widgets, but come on, this is one of the fastest phones out there why does it take that long.

At this point I would like to figure out what to do to make it nicer. I wouldnt mind changing around the looks or functions (roms). But I don't want to change to much. Would you all suggest a factory reset and then start from scratch?

Thanks for the help in advance.

noXcuse
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
What's your overclock settings? Set it to stock and see if it stabilizes. Maybe uninstall launcherpro, then reinstall it. Go to preferences, scroll down, and backup settings first. When you reinstall it, restore settings.

Sent from DarkSlide 4.2

Dustin0308
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
i have also noticed that setting the stability buffer to say like 20 helps a lot with this issue. Mine was lagging a lot with quick clock advanced as well..my stability buffer was defaulted at 15 and i changed it to 20 and haven't had a problem since (don't know if this is the same with dx overclocker, i dont use that..just a suggestion to try some things lol)..but going into clockwork and wiping cache may help..your best bet tho..install a custom rom.
Hey all,

Before I continue, I am a newb, I am not afraid to say it.

OK. My DX is rooted using Z4, running clockwork mod, overclocking with DX/D2 Overclocker on occasion, titanium backup and droid x bootstrapper.

Currently not running any roms but wouldn't mind going into that world.

Basically what is happening is that my phone does not run very smooth. I believe I am having a lot of problems with launcher pro plus because it is constantly force closing during start up. It will do it a few times and then get the hang of it and run fine.

I will also get random reboots. It could be anything that triggers it, turning the phone to get to landscape mode in an app, opening up handcent, anything.

And its all around slow, like accessing the widgets for the homescreens. Ill hold down on a blank spot, the prompt with come up to select what I want, I select widgets, and then I have to wait a good 30 seconds for all fo the widgets to load. My guess is because I have a lot of widgets, but come on, this is one of the fastest phones out there why does it take that long.

At this point I would like to figure out what to do to make it nicer. I wouldnt mind changing around the looks or functions (roms). But I don't want to change to much. Would you all suggest a factory reset and then start from scratch?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Quagmire
03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Currently I am not overclocking at all. I was worried that overclocking was causing some of the issues. Also when overclocked the phone will get wicked hot and I usually back it down when that happens to avoid any damage.

I have tried reinstalling Launcherpro before, but I will try it again.

There is no buffer setting with DX overclocker so maybe I will try quick clock (already have it). But I have found that the phone is really slow even at stock voltages, slower than it was when I first got it. I understand I have apps and stuff now so that will slow it down, but it just seems really unstable.

Dustin0308
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
maybe try a wiping of cache in clockwork..might help

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

Snow02
03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Download watchdog lite and use real time monitoring to see what process is using up all your cpu clocks. That's the usual culprit for sluggish performance.

Snow02
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
If that doesn't work, definitely try a data wipe.

If you want to flash, and you like stock, the 3.4.2 build is great, and completely fixed my reboot issues. There are plenty of other roms to choose from as well.

Quagmire
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I will download watchdog to see if that points out any CPU hogs.

Dustin, how would I go about clearing the cache from clockwork? Reboot and the options on that prompt screen?

I like stock because I havent sat down and looked at all of the roms that are out there, frankly I don't know what half of it really does. I dont need completely diffrent set up for homescreens and icons and stuff. I just want a stock feel with a few tweaks (i dont even have a dark notification bar yet which I really want) and a much smoother operation.

I am considering starting from scratch just so i have a clean slate. How would one go about making sure all my apps stay on the phone and things like that. I dont want to have to redownload everything. I do know I will have to reset settings in terms of what texting app to use and what email app to use instead of the stockers.

BTW thanks for all the help here guys, I am so used to forums that will flame the crap out of you if you dont spend 4 hours searching for what your looking for.

Snow02
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Make sure to search for watchdog lite, or the free one doesn't show up.

If you're going to start fresh, might as well flash something. I think Apex is the closest to stock, except for the new stock build (but that needs a couple extra things done to set up you may not want to fool with).

I'd recommend Apex or Rubix Blurry. There are plenty of themes for those as well.

WarlockGhost
03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
I had this issue myself, and I rooted in the same way. I tried out probably 40 different rom's (taking version numbers into account) and nothing I did smoothed the phone out. I finally managed to PermaBrik™ my phone, and got it replaced. The new one is inexplicably better in every way. I even have the bugger DEclocked to 800 MHz at all times and its 100% smooth, and nothing EVER fc's or lags. I personaly think you MAY have a hardware issue like I did. You might also want to try a rom. I suggest Fission 2.5.7 from the fission rom manager lite (free). This rom is bloat free, and runs smoother than day one for me. If that is still laggy, you may have a potentially defective phone.

Sent from my Fissionized DX

Quagmire
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Warlock, Thanks. That is interesting, since I havent tried any ROMS yet I wont be quick to say thats the culprit. I will try Fission 2.5.7 and the other ones suggested first to see if that helps my situation.

I have also been thinking about getting my phone replaced due to a defect on my screen. There is a portion that seems like the glass is pushing against the screen making it whiter (or whatever color) than the surrounding areas.

bsbabcock
03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I am considering starting from scratch just so i have a clean slate. How would one go about making sure all my apps stay on the phone and things like that. I dont want to have to redownload everything. I do know I will have to reset settings in terms of what texting app to use and what email app to use instead of the stockers.

BTW thanks for all the help here guys, I am so used to forums that will flame the crap out of you if you dont spend 4 hours searching for what your looking for.

Check my Sig link if you're considering starting from scratch. My preferred #1 way to install a rom now. If you know you're rom file is a good download that method does all due diligence to eliminate anything else.. If concerned about apps on a "from scratch" flash, back them up in Titanium and restore from there. But basically, wiping cache, data, dalvik cache and battery stats and flashing over stock 340 with full battery is a pretty good recipe I think. Good luck.