PDA

View Full Version : Rooting without a computer

sandman1887
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
This question probably has a very easy two letter answer, But I thought I would give it a try:

Is it possible to root a phone without using a computer?

My home computer is dead...I will be getting it fixed eventually, but i want to root my phone now. Can it be done?

Backnblack
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, z4root can do it.

sandman1887
03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, z4root can do it.

O.

That was not the answer i expected. Thats good news! But I thought that z4root was not avaliable on the market anymore....so wouldn't i need to connect to a cpu to install it? or can i do it off of the phones browser?

Also, does the standard z4root walkthrough on this site still apply, or are there different steps you have to take?

mikeinrichmond
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
O.That was not the answer i expected. Thats good news! But I thought that z4root was not avaliable on the market anymore....so wouldn't i need to connect to a cpu to install it? or can i do it off of the phones browser?

Also, does the standard z4root walkthrough on this site still apply, or are there different steps you have to take?

Here's the thread with the links for z4root:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html#post121738

Download from your phone, if using the stock browser your d/l will be in the /downloads directory, use a file manager to gte there, tap it, pick install, it will ask you to check 'unknown sources' if you haven't already, open it, click permanent root, give it 5 minutes. If it doesn't work the first time around, reboot and try again. You will know it's successful when the phone reboots on its own and the 'superuser' icon will show up in your app drawer.

sandman1887
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
great! I will be sure to do this today. Is there a chance of bricking by doing this? I know that you can unbrick with a computer, but obviously thats not an option right now....

Thanks so much for the help everyone

Slayer611
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm 99.9% sure you can't brick with z4, never heard anyone bricking from it, enjoy your rooted X!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

mikeinrichmond
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
great! I will be sure to do this today. Is there a chance of bricking by doing this? I know that you can unbrick with a computer, but obviously thats not an option right now....

Thanks so much for the help everyone

No you cannot ' brick the phone with z4root...

(Swyped on the go..)

firefighterguy
03-22-2011, 12:11 PM
You can also do it without using Z4 if you wish. You will need Android Terminal Emulator available in the Market. And there are a lot of how to's for it here in the forums. If you need a link for one let us know.

Backnblack
03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
You can also do it without using Z4 if you wish. You will need Android Terminal Emulator available in the Market. And there are a lot of how to's for it here in the forums. If you need a link for one let us know.

And there is a higher chance of jacking the device up using the terminal to root.

firefighterguy
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Very true. Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TideFan22
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah go with z4, all u do is hit one button and vala your rooted

Crystalized X

Kr0n0Tr1pR
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
had a hell of a time with the one click root methods (tried two different ones again and again). I went with the manual method using roooler's guide posted her. Now whenever I root for someone that's the only method I'll use, works the first time, every time.

mikeinrichmond
03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow, that's old skool...LOL...That's the only method we had in the beginning... :)

Glad you got it going..

spodoc
03-22-2011, 11:34 PM
had a hell of a time with the one click root methods (tried two different ones again and again). I went with the manual method using roooler's guide posted her. Now whenever I root for someone that's the only method I'll use, works the first time, every time.

I did this way too

sandman1887
03-23-2011, 07:06 AM
UPDATE: So, on Tuesday, I got my replacement phone in the mail. It took a little while to get it set up properly (for some reason the phone skipped all the automated set up steps so I had to do it all manually) and then the phone would not sync my facebook account or hotmail account. After doing a manual factory reset, I got it all working.

Then...I downloaded z4root and I'm rooted!!!:big smile:

Now what? I downloaded wireless tether for rooted users and Titanium Backup (do I really have to back up every single app individualy?!?) What else do I need? I hear about bootstrap, is there a free version? (I know, its only 2 bucks, but hey, free is good) I want to make sure everything is good before i try installing some new roms...

anyone have any suggestions about root-only apps or roms?

smalltowngirl13
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Definitely bootstrap - I don't think it is available on his website anymore (only purchase thru market)...but it will be close to the best $2 you have ever spent :big smile:...

firefighterguy
03-24-2011, 04:12 AM
No, you don't need to back them up one at a time on Titanium. You can when you get an update of the app. But still, there are batches for that (pretty self explanitory. And there is a key to see what colors are for what).

For Bootstrap, SmallTownGirl is right. If anyone says that you cant buy a whole lot with $2 anymore is a crock of sh.... anyways. Lol. With Bootstrap, you can make a full backup of your system and the way it is right now. So we all recommend backing up a lot. Before and after you do something esp flashing a ROM. And I recommend making a backup NOW before you flash. Because if you FUBAR your phone, you dont have to worry about SBF's. You can just restore the stock. And also if an OTA comes out by some act of God, you can restore back to stock and be fine. But still learn SBF's and update.zip's. I am still trying to learn SBF's fully, myself if that helps you feel any better. And I turned to the Dark Side from Windows Mobile in July 2010 when the DX was made available. Oh! AND you if youre like me and you find a couple or a few ROM's that you like, you can back them up and restore as you please and go back and forth. But these guys (and girls, SmallTownGirl) are really cool and as you already know by now, they will jump at the chance to help someone out. I havent posted very much before, but they have helped me outextensively.

And when you are comfortable enough to flash a ROM, dont make the same mistake I did. I brain farted and forgot to clear the cache and then factory reset in Bootstrap before running the .zip. I threw myself into an endless bootcycle. And when I was about to cry myself to sleep thinking that I now had a $600 paperweight, I thought I would try going into just the regular recovery or bootlaoder (whatever it is called when you press the power and home button before the "M" comes on the screen) and do the same there. After I cleared the cache partitions and then did the wipe/factory reset, it cycled through THANK GOD!! And now I am going to be doing that before AND after I flash a ROM. So yeah, she was spot on with Bootstrap being invaluable.

Another thing is ROM Manager, and also pay for the license after downloading the app. Support Kousche (did I spell that right?) and Clockworkwith all the hard work they do for us.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App with help from the little voices in my head

Sanfo12
03-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Here's the thread with the links for z4root:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html#post121738

Download from your phone, if using the stock browser your d/l will be in the /downloads directory, use a file manager to gte there, tap it, pick install, it will ask you to check 'unknown sources' if you haven't already, open it, click permanent root, give it 5 minutes. If it doesn't work the first time around, reboot and try again. You will know it's successful when the phone reboots on its own and the 'superuser' icon will show up in your app drawer.

My question is if you find z4 on the net and download it. If your phone is not rooted and you aren't using a computer, how do you get past the "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market"?

firefighterguy
04-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Go into Settings/Applications. There will be a check box for "Unknown Sources." Check it. And I would also recommend enabling "USB Debugging" under Settings/Applications/Development. Hope that helps!

Sent from my DroidX using Droid X Forum App with help from the little voices in my head

rubo.ru786
04-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Only way to find out is to google "one click root lg ally" and see if any of those methods can be done without a computer.