PDA

View Full Version : rooted..... now what.

th0mas
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi. New to forum and android phones. I just rooted my 5 month old droid x. Iv read alot of stuff sayin that u should root and that its so much better to root. And alot of talk about roms, over clocking and kernals and such, which I am completely illiterate about. Lol... well hear I am. Lol. I.rooted a few hours ago and realized that I have no clue y. Other than everyone thinks its better. I was half expecting things to look or act.diff when I restarted my phone after the root finished. But amusingly, it still the exact same phone. :+P. Lol. Atleast from what I can see. . . So. My question is, what now. What's some cool (not so techy) stuff I can do now. And if its something I might b able to comprehend, overclocking roms? Thanks in advance for being patient with noob questions. Lol

maybish
03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Hello and welcome!!! Rooting will only allow access to system files and such. So to change the look of the phone you'd need a custom rom! Check the hacking and rom section for some great info!!!

~~**May's X**~~

closer
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Well you can overclock and undervolt now with market apps. You can use wireless tether off the market,"share 3g over wireless". Its hard to think of many more apps that require root that would be interesting. Other than installing a rom.

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Now u can do alot, find u a rom, and theme, and u could overclock,tether, change sysctl conf, there's a bunch to do. And now that the moto keys have been leaked there's alot more hopefully to come. (Custom kernals) hopefully. I would read up b4 doing anything, get bootstrap and make a backup of stock b4 u do anymore

Crystalized X

th0mas
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
So is that all a rom is? Something that changes the appearance of the device? Or is that just one thing it can do?

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
No, it changes how it runs and stuff, a theme just changes the look

Crystalized X

Chessnut
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, what were expecting, no pun intended. If you're rooting to make your droid speedier than get a rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
There's alot u can do

Crystalized X

th0mas
03-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Lol. Im not too sure what I was expecting. I just got a excited from reading about how great it is to root. Guess I should have done a little more reseach on the topic. I hve a feeling that im not quite knowledgable enough to really benifit from it. Workin on it tho. Lol

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Good luck, make a backup with bootstrap of stock b4 doing anything, and keep reading this will do u good and also there's some videos u could watch that will help.

Crystalized X

lino722
03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Lol. Im not too sure what I was expecting. I just got a excited from reading about how great it is to root. Guess I should have done a little more reseach on the topic. I hve a feeling that im not quite knowledgable enough to really benifit from it. Workin on it tho. Lol

There's a quite a bit you can do,there's some apps that only work once rooted. You are also able to overclock (make your processor run faster) undervolt (make your battery last longer). I would say though that the best thing you can do is install a custom ROM (don't worry about it being to techy) I watched a few videos on YouTube and then came to this site and I am now running a custom ROM (Liberty 1.5) there are also a number of themes that you can apply to customize your phone even further.

There's a guy on YouTube (XDroidRom) I watched his videos and it all made sense

The best piece of advice I can give you is BACKUP ALWAYS and have a great time

DroidGurl
03-21-2011, 12:58 AM

You will acquire all the knowledge you could possibly want or need in order to benefit from rooting... just keep reading. All the forums are full of helpful information and friendly people who will be more than happy to help you along if you get stuck. It's fun to be able to tweak your device and make it uniquely yours. Enjoy!