PDA

View Full Version : Root beginning help for newb? :3

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Try not to laugh, I've had my x for a good amount of time, I understand stock android os(s) in and out after having several droids, but I finally decided after looking over rooting that id like to do so on my x. The problem: I really am at a loss of where and how to start exactly. ><
Help? Yes?

:3

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

DRaulie2003
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
A good program to use is Z4root it takes care of everything for you and all you have to do is push a button. You should be able to find a download link somewhere is this forum. It I find it I'll post the link link here for you. Happy rooting you won't regret it.

Sent from my Liberated, Rooted, Undervolted DROIDX using Droid X Fourms App.

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Here's an easy step-by-step guide for you..

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-approved-guides/17927-how-use-z4root-root-your-motorola-droid-x.html#post189945

After you root, make sure to use Bootstrap to make a backup before you do anything else. Here's the thread on it. BTW, the free version is no more, you have to get it through the Market. Here's that link as well:

Droid X Recovery Bootstrap (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap&feature=search_result)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html#post124595

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Im pretty excited. I could not find the z4 so I assume it's a non market download?
And all of this is reversable Incase I have to take my phone in for some odd reason, correct?
Im aware it voids the warranty haha.
This is my fun rainy day project.

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
There are many links to it since it's not in the Market...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html#post121738

DRaulie2003
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
A few apps I would recommend are Droid X Overclock, Droid X Bootstrap Recovery, MinFree Manager, Root Explorer, and Titanium Backup. All of these can be found in the market. There are many more root apps but you can start with these to kinda get your feet wet then move on.

Sent from my Liberated, Rooted, Undervolted DROIDX using Droid X Fourms App.

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
This is probably a ridiculous question, but should I whips my current UI apps off of my phone first? I just have home replacements and such.

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
No need to do that...

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm way too oblivious, but I really want to do this. So here we go! Thanks so much for the help!

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
NOW I'm having problems with how to get it to my phone. :/
Its currently on my phone, and my phone is plugged in via usb like its supposed to be.

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 05:13 PM
If you downloaded it to your phone directly, use your file manager app to go to the /downloads directory and it will be there (if using the stock web browser). Click on it, then install...

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 05:17 PM
That makes alot more sense.

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 05:35 PM
wait wait one more question. Permanent root can be removed, yes? I finally got a link to work, a few of them were failures.

x1034
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes permanent root can be removed. Or you could've used easy installer. And that is why there is a unroot button :D

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 05:54 PM
well. this isnt working very fast, thats for sure, it still says running exploit in order to obtain root access, for about the past 5 minutes.

ACTUALLY! We have a suuucceeess! I pulled the battery and tried it again and it all worked. It said super user is up to date. Now I need to figure out what to do first! Haha.

x1034
03-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I think its suppose to take a little long. I rooted a long time ago so I don't remember .

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
ACTUALLY! We have a suuucceeess! I pulled the battery and tried it again and it all worked. It said super user is up to date. Now I need to figure out what to do first! Haha.

Read the thread on where to get Bootstrap in the Market, and how to use first, that I posted earlier.... :)

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I was actually just going through that, im purchasing it as we speak, well type.

Holy crap. It got stuck on the black and green screen and wouldnt let me chose any options. That was NOT okay. :/

I see why this is not for people who dont understand android.
Im FINALLY getting it.

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I've successfully backed everything up now. Nooow I just gotta figure out what I want to do first! haha.

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Here's just the thread for you:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/20253-all-one-post-root-thread.html#post225830

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Yesss! That thread is definitely helping. God I've already gotten stock programs out and new root programs in! This is amazing. Thank you guys SO much for helping me! <3
I love this forum!

drakeeeeeeee
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I rooted about a week ago, so I can relate :) if I may suggest a few things?

Try checking out a few themes for roms. After I rooted and got all the great root apps, I decided to rom and theme. It can be daunting at first, but its really not that hard. Just be patient and follow directions, and in no time you can have a droid x completely customized how you like it and unlike anyone elses. :) also make sure to get the app called quickclock... your battery life will double if you use it to put it in battery saver mode. :)

jesscepticon
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Im extremely afraid to overclock my droid. I've heard bad things >.> I wanted to check out roms but im still semi clueless with that aswell haha!
:3