PDA

View Full Version : HELP!?!? unrooting??

sparta31
03-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I need help unrooting the droid x completely I am trying to give it to someone and I need to unroot to the way it was out of the box. Thanks guys.

mikeinrichmond
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
If you have Bootstrap already the easiest way is to spend the $2, get the Team Black Hat app, d/l the full 2.3.340 update.zip and flash that in clockwork. Then do a factory reset. The phone will be unrooted and Bootstrap will be deleted...

(Swyped on the go..)

John.Borgen
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
+1 to the TBH app. It'll fix you up fast and easy.

RubiX 2.0.1 | Mysterious Beast

gunner1982
03-19-2011, 12:21 PM
If you have Bootstrap already the easiest way is to spend the $2, get the Team Black Hat app, d/l the full 2.3.340 update.zip and flash that in clockwork. Then do a factory reset. The phone will be unrooted and Bootstrap will be deleted...

(Swyped on the go..)

Wont maderstock do the same thing? And its free or just sbf it

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 12:49 AM

(Swyped on the go..)

I'm new to the community so be please be kind. But if I use this method to UnRoot my phone, will this remove all evidence that my phone was ever rooted? Like removing busybox and assorted .APK files?

I hope I'm using the correct terminology.

1KDS
03-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Yep, the tbh monster 340 zip will remove root, bootstrap and all evidence, it will be out of the box stock. Welcome to the forum!

From the X

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the quick reply and I'm glad to be here. Maybe I'll even learn a thing or 2. Hopefully before I do something stupid!!!

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Wont maderstock do the same thing? And its free or just sbf it

Gunner, the difference is the maderstcok.zip will not remove Bootstrap, so folks have to do the extra steps, not that it's hard, but I did say the "easiest" way, and the OP said they wanted it "out of the box" new. Now, if all folks want to do is get back to stock, so they can make a 'clean' backup from clockwork and continue customizing, then yes, maderstcok works great for that...

While doing an SBF from the computer is free, it can be anything but "easy" for a lot of folks due to conflicts in RSDLite, the Moto drivers, Windows versions etc. (which is why I use and recommend Linux Ubuntu to SBF) :)

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 12:03 PM
So, I bought and down loaded the Team Mad Hatter app and downloaded and installed the Full 2.3.340.zip and it still appears as though my phone is rooted? It still has the same background, launcher and apps that I did before I ran the .zip. Did I miss something here? Is there something else I was supposed to do before I unzipped it?

The file that I downloaded and used is:

DX Monster 2.3.340 Updater? Is this the correct one?

My app drawer still shows the Droid X Bootstrapper and Super User apps.

1KDS
03-20-2011, 12:06 PM
edit: I misread your post, like tycoon said you need to flash it as a zip. Don't unzip it.

tycoon177
03-20-2011, 12:10 PM
No you flash it in clockwork recovery not unip it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
When you get to clockwork, goto "install zip from sd card", then "choose zip to install", then scroll to the /teamblackhat directory, pick that and there is where the MonsterTBH.zip will be.

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 12:34 PM
So, you'll have to elaberate a bit. I'm still new to this whole rooting thing. How do I go about FLASHING it?

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
When you get to clockwork, goto "install zip from sd card", then "choose zip to install", then scroll to the /teamblackhat directory, pick that and there is where the MonsterTBH.zip will be.

Geez, I'm such a noob when it comes to this stuff. Is clockwork the same app as Droid X Bootstrap Recovery or is that the Rom Manager or is it a completely different app that I need?

Lol, I'm so screwed!

mikeinrichmond
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Ok, Droid X Recovery Bootstrap is used to get to the green clockwork screen (look when you get there and it will say 'clockworkmod'). Rom Manager is another way of getting to clockwork, but it is not needed, and can cause some issues with the X, so I'd advise to get rid of it, and get to clockwork by using the Bootstrap app only.

1KDS
03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
You use bootstrap to get to clockwork. When you hit bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery it takes you to clockwork. Then navigate to wipe data, then wipe cache, then install zip from sd card>choose zip>Team Black Hat>DX monster 340 zip, let it does it thing. I think it takes about 90 seconds then reboot.

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I think thats maybe where i went wrong and why I still had all of my app icons etc. I didn't wipe data and cache. But other than that, I think I did everything correctly. Thanks. Ok, so i may have compounded things here. I also did a factory data reset (and this probably isn't going to make sense) but I can't root my phone now. I was having issues with the phone shutting itself down and thought that if I went back to stock and then re-rooted, it might clear this issue up. I've been trying to use the z4root, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

I guess the good news is that the phone is still working. LOL.

closer
03-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Anytime I use z4 root it doesn't work the first time, after it fails I reboot and run it again then it works. I have no idea why it does that on my phone. Maybe the same thing is happening to you.

Dad23Boys77
03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
z4mod root finally worked. SWEET! I now have SU access. Thank you all for your help.