PDA

View Full Version : modding notification bar

goldsmitht
03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I read something, either here or over on XDA, about modifying the notificaiton bar, changing icons, even puting a picture that only shows up when you pull the bar down (or simpler, a transparent bar)

unfortunately, i can no longer find the thread. Any help, or guidance would allow me to make my DX even cooler!

thanks

:big smile:

smalltowngirl13
03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Check out this thread... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/12641-how-use-ninjamorph-change-notification-bar-icons.html?highlight=ninjamorph

or this thread... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/20469-easy-verizon-banner-change.html?highlight=easy+banner+change

chucklehead
03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
The easiest way is to apply a theme but to do everything manually I'd suggest reading up here:

[How To] use Ninjamorph to change notification bar icons (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/12641-how-use-ninjamorph-change-notification-bar-icons.html?highlight=metamorph)

It'll explain how to change just about any image within your framework.Just be sure to make a backup of your entire system first...just in case!

goldsmitht
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
after i rooted i ran bootstrap to "back-up" and created a file at that time. Do i need to re-do that step, run bootstrap again (if i am calling it the right thing) before, or would that one time be sufficient? I read on Titanium Back-up that you could run regular scheduled back-ups; is that something i should think about doing? I've changed a few things (font, boot animation) but nothing serious like flashing a rom yet... although am thinking about APEX 1.4.1, if it is good and lets me use some of the blur i like

smalltowngirl13
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Backups are never a bad thing IMO...the first backup you made would return you to that point in history...if you make a backup of your mods to date, then you can return to that point...

I make a backup (generally) before I make any major modifications so that I am not spending all my time tweaking my stock backup...good luck on the ROM choices - definitely a lot of good ones out there...ApeX is good for some blur - using it myself right now.

VivaLaPrimo
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I would say the easiest way to alter your notification bar would be to use MetaMorph.

You can find different color status bars, icons, backgrounds, and anything else at Droid Pirate
droidpirate.com (http://www.DroidPirate.com)

Primary Set-Up- Flashing HoneyComb WiFi Signal Icon---->
-When you see an icon you like, say for example, the Honeycomb WiFi signal, save the .zip file to the AndroidThemes folder in your Android's files.
-The .zip file is available for free download directly from the website under every image of an icon.
-The easiest way to go about this is to connect your Droid X to your computer (Windows or Mac) via USB.
-Make sure your Droid is set on "USB- Mass Storage" mode, as the other modes may not work or cause a problem for this process.
-Simply drag all of the saved .zip files from your desktop into AndroidThemes, which will be at the top of the list of files when you open your device on the computer.

MetaMorph is in the Android Market. I have posted a thread in the Android Themes section about how to use MetaMorph which i will copy/paste for refrence here.

How To Use MetaMorph

The way MetaMorph works is actually very simple. Place .zip files of new themes you want to flash in the AndroidThemes folder on your Droid X.

----YOUR PHONE MUST BE ROOTED FOR ANY OF THIS TO WORK----

1. Download the application from the Android Market and install it on your handset.

2. If you do not make themes yourself, there is an abundance of resources for finding them- DroidPirate.com specializes in MetaMorph themes for Droid X.

3. Download and save the .ZIP files onto your Droid, in the AndroidThemes File

4. Once you have done this, open MetaMorph and select "Start Checks."

5. When This has completed, choose "Unzip/Extract New Theme."

6. choose your theme from the list and click "Apply All" ---> (If you intend to apply ALL files in the theme. Otherwise, select which files.)

7. A popup window will remind you that YOU ARE CHANGING SYSTEM SETTINGS, and will ask you if you would like to continue, which will lead to a reboot.

8. let the system reboot, and if everything was correct, your new theme is now applied.

Your new icons and themes should load perfectly on the first boot, if not, try to flash it again. This has only happened to me once though, so you probably will not experience it.

goldsmitht
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
hot-damn! just figured out where my extractor on root explorer puts the extracted files, and i am in business!

one question: if i want to change the battery gage, and the one i want to use is broken down in 10's, or something that mine does not use, since i can't use a one to one change, how do i switch them out with this program? or will that require more indepth changes?

thanks again! chucklehead!