PDA

View Full Version : SDcard read ahead tweak.

closer
03-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know if this has been posted before.
Found this post over at XDA SD card speed fix (5Mbps to 15Mbps) - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=921530)
Read ahead is set 128 on my X and changing it to 256 does seem to make quite a difference in read and write speeds, at least in SD tools. Larger values maybe even better. I don't exactly trust the results from Sdtools, so maybe someone can use a different test method.

Anyway give it a shot and test it out guys. I would be interested in what value works best.

Edit: testing some different values and sdtools seems far to inconsistent. It looks like im seeing a read boost with larger values, not sure if it is effecting write.
Found a benchmark called Antutu and made a few runs.
128 averaged 9.7MB read
256 averaged 10.6MB Read
I'm still trying to figure out if this is a actual increase.

Edit: tested a few more times and 256 is consistently showing a read increase over 128. This is on the stock microsd, I would be interested in seeing if a class 10 would see a greater benefit.

jefflikesbagels
03-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Holy crap, I just did this tweak, and wow what a difference. I use QuickPic already, but now when I first start it up after a reboot, the whole list shows in under a second. And when I go to the camera folder, which contains a lot of pics, it loads almost instantaneously.

demonhawk1313
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Are you guys running the script, root explorer method or the zip file? The thread is for the EVO and don't know if the zip is compatible.

drjimbeam
03-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I just done it with root explorer

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

demonhawk1313
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I believe you will have to repeat that every reboot if I read that correctly.

Edit: Seems to have helped. Went from 11.5 to 13.5. Thanks for the heads up.

closer
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Im trying to get init.d file to work atm and make permanent. Maybe someone can make flashable file. I may try the flashable zip that was posted but it needs to be changed to 256 or whatever value that works best.

jefflikesbagels
03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I did everything manually. I took the 10sdreadahead file out of the flashable zip, changed it to 256, then used Super Manager to copy it over to the init.d folder and fix permissions. If you wanted to, you could extract /system/init.d/10sdreadahead out of the zip, change it to 256, then put it back into the zip and then flash it. I didn't try that way myself, so be a little cautious.

closer
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I did everything manually. I took the 10sdreadahead file out of the flashable zip, changed it to 256, then used Super Manager to copy it over to the init.d folder and fix permissions. If you wanted to, you could extract /system/init.d/10sdreadahead out of the zip, change it to 256, then put it back into the zip and then flash it. I didn't try that way myself, so be a little cautious.

I did the same thing with root explorer. It was still showing 128 after reboot. I must have missed something or it has something to do with rubix blurry.

jefflikesbagels
03-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Did you make sure that the permissions are set to r-xr-xr-x?

closer
03-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Did you make sure that the permissions are set to r-xr-xr-x?
Yeah, not sure why its not working. Your read ahead is reading 256 after boot? What rom are you using? I changed "128" to "256" in the dread file and there are other files in the init.d folder that I assume are working. I edited it with root explorer, but I wouldn't imagine that would cause a problem.

jefflikesbagels
03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, not sure why its not working. Your read ahead is reading 256 after boot? What rom are you using? I changed "128" to "256" in the dread file and there are other files in the init.d folder that I assume are working. I edited it with root explorer, but I wouldn't imagine that would cause a problem.
Yeah, everything is working fine for me. Maybe try editing the file on your computer. I remember someone said somewhere in that thread that you need to save it in DOS format or something. When I edited it, I was using Notepad++, so you could try that if you wanted.

closer
03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, everything is working fine for me. Maybe try editing the file on your computer. I remember someone said somewhere in that thread that you need to save it in DOS format or something. When I edited it, I was using Notepad++, so you could try that if you wanted.

I tried a similar program that said it would keep it in the original format. I may try a different rom and see If it works. What rom are you running?
Thanks for the help btw.

jefflikesbagels
03-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm running RubiX Focused 2.0.1.

JNEHAMA
03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Quick question about the tweak: I downloaded an app that I think does the same thing called SD card speed boost. It tells you the read # and you can reset it. Also has option to set at boot. It is $. 99 in the market. If someone checks it out I would like to know if it is accomplishing the same thing. Thanks

TideFan22
03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Where is the file u change? I don't see read a head in system/init'd

Reliberated X Roll Tide!!

closer
03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Quick question about the tweak: I downloaded an app that I think does the same thing called SD card speed boost. It tells you the read # and you can reset it. Also has option to set at boot. It is $. 99 in the market. If someone checks it out I would like to know if it is accomplishing the same thing. Thanks

I seen the thread about the sdcard booster. From a post that said that the next setting was 256, im guessing it does the same thing.

closer
03-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Where is the file u change? I don't see read a head in system/init'd

The file is in this zip sdreadahead-signed.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?eto9uoz2aml66cv). Place the 10sdreadahead file in the init.d folder. It needs to be edited first, "128" to "256" or whatever size you wish. Set permissions and you should be good to go.

TideFan22
03-18-2011, 11:21 PM
NM

TideFan22
03-18-2011, 11:22 PM

jefflikesbagels
03-18-2011, 11:46 PM
It's supposed to go into /system/etc/init.d, not /system/init.d or /etc/init.d.

TideFan22
03-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I got it,, two places where the file is, system/etc/init'd or etc/init'd same file. Just two ways to get to it

Crystalized X

closer
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Well installed Rubix Focused and now its sticking. Must just be a issue with blurry or something I did. Thanks for the help jeff.

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 04:10 AM
What are the permissions, what is xr and x.. all I see in permissions is read, write, execute. What are xr r what am I missing someone throw me a bone

Crystalized X

xrazedx
03-20-2011, 06:23 AM
What are the permissions, what is xr and x.. all I see in permissions is read, write, execute. What are xr r what am I missing someone throw me a bone

Crystalized X

r is read
w is write
x is execute

Relentless

closer
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
And dashes are unchecked. r-xr-xr-x So check all the Reads and Executes leave Writes unchecked. The first 3 represent User permissions, next 3 group, last 3 other. (r-x)(r-x)(r-x)

TideFan22
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Ok got it. But if u check all the reads and executes why ain't it just. r-x-r-x-r-x. The r-xr-xr-x. Just confused me but ok thanks

Crystalized X