PDA

View Full Version : Droid X reception

Carpetman
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I work in a metal building and can't get any reception in it but a friend has a little cheapy dumb phone by Moto and she can get good reception. Is there any answer as to why ? Anything I can do to improve my reception ?

deno73
03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I work in a large factory...perfect reception where I work, but if I walk 10 feet down the isle. Nothing. Just depends if there is any interference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

MegaSlammo
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM
This is my second X and the one thing I noticed with both was pretty average-to-above average reception...but the one problem that I've had with both is the "3g Dance". My 3g capabilities disappear at random even though it says I have full 3g on the notification bar.

"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid."

MegaSlammo
03-17-2011, 12:42 PM
As far as improving your reception goes, try updating your roaming capabilities from where you're getting problems.

ToeJamm57
03-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Are you both on the same service? My guess is this may be a combination of interference and whose cell tower is closer. I worked in a hospital (had AT&T) and couldn't get a signal anywhere in the building (lots of electronic interference). People with Verizon had no problem however - then - I found out we rented our roof to VZW so they could but up a cell tower.

Carpetman
03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Are you both on the same service? My guess is this may be a combination of interference and whose cell tower is closer. I worked in a hospital (had AT&T) and couldn't get a signal anywhere in the building (lots of electronic interference). People with Verizon had no problem however - then - I found out we rented our roof to VZW so they could but up a cell tower.
Yes we are both on Verizon.

ToeJamm57
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
How is your reception otherwise? Perhaps you should take it back to VZW and see what they have to say

Thumbed from my DX.

1KDS
03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
try dialing *228 then option 2

MegaSlammo
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
How is your reception otherwise? Perhaps you should take it back to VZW and see what they have to say

Thumbed from my DX.

I don't doubt that he woulda get the "phone exchange" shpeeeel

Carpetman
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
I've done all the above short of returning the phone and that would be useless because other Verizon phones don't get reception in here either, just a very few phones are just fine here. I'm told that it is just the area i'm in but why the heck do these few get out just fine. I would think it has to be in the programing somehow.

Snow02
03-19-2011, 08:42 AM
If the majority get poor reception there, just deal with it, or get a new phone. Different phones use different antenna schemes, and some may get better reception than others in certain circumstances. The X gets better reception than just about any phone I've ever had.

Carpetman
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
If the majority get poor reception there, just deal with it, or get a new phone. Different phones use different antenna schemes, and some may get better reception than others in certain circumstances. The X gets better reception than just about any phone I've ever had.
That's been my experience to so I will just deal with it.

Mr X
03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
While different antennas in different phones will get varying levels of reception, try installing the throttle remover and see if you don't get better reception.

Snow02
03-19-2011, 11:03 AM
While different antennas in different phones will get varying levels of reception, try installing the throttle remover and see if you don't get better reception.

That makes zero sense.

fc127
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM

That will only affect your 3g speeds not reception...

Sent from my Focused DX

Carpetman
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm running Liberty 1.5 and when I go to my file manager and there I find the throttle files, how do I know if it is installed?

Snow02
03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
It won't help your reception.

Carpetman
03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
It won't help your reception. As stated above, will it help my 3G ?

Snow02
03-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe.

Carpetman
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe.
So again I ask, how do I know if it is installed ?

Snow02
03-19-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't know. There's about ten threads with that info on here. You should be able to search and find it pretty readily.

VivaLaPrimo
03-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Verizon has an option where you can adjust service depending on which area you are in. The way to go about doing this would be dialing a service number, and following all of the prompts. I am unsure what number it is, but i think it is the one 1KDS suggested.

A few years back i got terrible to no service in my house using Verizon, even in the rooms which looked out onto the massive Philadelphia cell phone towers, the largest cell phone towers on the east coast if i am correct. I live about three miles from these massive structures which are designed to serve the whole city- for the most part ten miles away.

I called Verizon numerous times to no avail- finally i got a good employee who told me to call that service number. Ever since then, i get excellent service in my entirehouse, including the basement. I proceeded to complete this process areas i frequented that had poor service, including work and college. Since then I have had consistent coverage at home- 3G, 4 bars. I have switched job, ran the process again, and got the same result- it just took a few times to work however. I am not sure how this works exactly, but from my experience, it works great.

Snow02
03-20-2011, 12:08 AM
That's *228, as suggested.

tycoon177
03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
*228 opt 2 to be specific :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FA1SGL
03-20-2011, 12:52 AM
A point to remember once you've done *228 option 2 : Reception will vary within the building depending upon the structure. There will be dead/weak zones regardless of what you do. There will be areas where you show few or no bars and you cannot initiate a call but can receive calls. It's just the nature of the beast.

fezrock
03-20-2011, 01:10 AM
*228 is great. I work in a factory with low power RF everywhere. After using it I have 0 reception problems. I think it lets your phone know the current closest tower.

Sent from the heart of the sun

Carpetman
03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
*228 is great. I work in a factory with low power RF everywhere. After using it I have 0 reception problems. I think it lets your phone know the current closest tower.

Sent from the heart of the sun
I've used the *228 number several times and no difference at all. In my workplace I have to go stand at the door window to even get a signal at all and try the *228 and it tells me I have successfully updated my phone but if I walk away from the window all signal is lost.

fezrock
03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
That sucks. Can you access wifi at work? No communication at all would cause me serious problems. Tho it would improve my productivity for sure!

Carpetman
03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
That sucks. Can you access wifi at work? No communication at all would cause me serious problems. Tho it would improve my productivity for sure!

I'm on WiFi at work but you can't use your phone to make calls on WiFi through Verizon.

Snow02
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Not through verizon, but you can via google voice and sipdroid. You could always just forward your vz number to your gv number while at work.