PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on BUILT-IN Screen Protectors!

Beka27
03-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I did a search for "built-in screen protectors" and all I could find were threads that listed if a case HAS one, but very little feedback on what people LIKE or DO NOT LIKE about having it built-into the case.

I know there are a couple well-known manufacturers that have cases with this feature (Otterbox and Trident), and I know those are both very popular cases because of the protection they offer. From what I can gather, the Trident offers a replacement screen protector, or you can remove it and pair with your own screen protector as necessary. Can the Otterbox screen be easily removed as well?

So my questions/concerns are:

1) Quality and durability of protector in protecting the screen (also, I know some people leave on their original screen protector too, do you find this necessary)

2) "Scratch-proofedness" of protector itself (not a word, but you get it... I can't stand a bunch of teeny tiny scratches on the protector, altho I know better that than the actual phone!)

3) Touch sensitivity and "contact of protector" (for obvious reasons)

4) Fingerprint/smudge resistance (not a huge deal, but nice to know)

5) Retention with frequent removal of case (does the protector warp if you take the case off and put it back on all the time?)

6) Feel of the protector (I like a very smooth "glass-like feel" which is what I like about some regular protectors, I don't like the "pebbled" feel some of them have)

Thanks for reading this. As I said, I searched and I didn't really see anything applicable to these specific topics, just reviews of the case as a whole. Of course, if there is info out there and I missed it, please feel free to link me to it. Otherwise, any thoughts you can offer would be a big help! The cases both look awesome, but it's this screen protector issue that has me stopped dead in my tracks.

Garemlin
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I have never had one but a guy at work bought an Otterbox with the built in screen protector on his Atrix. I played with it and hated it. Didn't like the way it moved around or the feel of it. He has had it for two weeks and is getting something else. Said too much dust gets under it. I will stick to my Steinheil protector.

kmudd3
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I have the Otterbox...but mine didn't come with the screen protector built-in. Had to install it separately. I really like mine. I can't imagine that one built-in would work that well...condensation, dust, etc. building up would be a pain.

noXcuse
03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I have the Otterbox Defender. After about 3 weeks of dealing with the built in protector, I ripped it out. It was crap. Touch sensitivity was horrible. Had to press down hard around the edges. If I took my phone in the bathroom while I showered, condensation would build up between the protector and the screen, making the screen do all kinds if crazy things. Same thing happened if I was inside in 70 heat then walked outside in 30 cold. Fingerprints weren't a problem though. It was a dull finish, which I didnt like. I ripped the protector out, and stuck a real one on the phone. Now I have a protector no matter if the case is on or off.

Sent from DarkSlide 4.2

Beka27
03-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, I never even thought about condensation. Good to know all of this!

I am more interested in getting the new Trident case coming out, so it's promising knowing that I can remove the built-in and use a regular screen protector with it. I don't have a "dirty job" so grime and dust are not a real big concern with me. I am very anti-resistive screen; I certainly don't want a screen protector making my X as unresponsive as my husband's old LG Dare!

While I have you, is the Steinheil a smooth protector. I've looked at the Zaggs in store and they seem to give off that pebbled effect.

excogitator
03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Bottom line: If you're not concerned about dust or accidental water exposure, you'll be happiest with a screen protector that's actually on your screen.

I used to have the Invisible Shield screen protector, which I still believe is the ultimate scratch protection - but it had a negative impact on clarity as well as a weird feel to it.

I chose the Kraken over other cases because I wanted extra protection from dust. I've had it a few weeks and it's been in quite a bit of dust, but I've never had dust on my screen under the built-in protector. Responsiveness is as good as the naked screen, except for the very top of the screen because I have to press a little harder to get the built-in screen protector to touch the actual screen.

Good luck.

macpro88
03-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Go with a Zagg screen protector, best IMO, use them on my iPods and most of my phones. They are great screen protectors.

45root
03-15-2011, 03:49 AM
I have one on my droid x and I love it. I see no restrictions when using it versus not. I can clean it with my shirt and not worry about scratching my screen. I have never had any moisture problems. dont know how its even possible unless you drop it in water or leave it in the rain... btw I use the trident krakken. I picked the trident over the defender because at the time the defender was $45+ and the krakken was $20 less. The prices are about the same now. I think its a great investment. You should look up trident krakken or otterbox defender on youtube and see for yourself.

rudyy
03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
my x is naked.
have two cases, hate them both.

rooted, on liberty 1.5

macpro88
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
I also have a body glove case for my X, I usually go naked (with the exception of the Zagg screen protector), I like the case, but sometimes it just gets too bulky to deal with, will really only put it on if I think I am going somewhere where I will be using it a lot and think I will drop it.

sugarnova
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Just started using the Defender yesterday and I'm loving it so far. I really like the built in screen protector and don't have an issue with the notification bar, like some have with the Kraken.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SpookyJ
03-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I'm also using the Defender and wouldn't use anything else personally. None of the previously stated issues with dust/condensation. I work with cement all day (copious amounts of very fine lime dust & H2o), yet the X looks brand new when out of the case for a battery change.

I think avoiding the aforementioned problems lies in installing the case (especially the front) in a clean environment and ensuring a clean surface to begin with. It may be slightly "inconvenient" to take such care, but the result is well worth it. And when I do make a battery/card change, I remove only the back of the case, leaving the phone face down against the protector.

As far as conductivity is concerned, I have flawless screen control even at the edges, and with a little de-ionized water and a micro-fiber cloth, the protector itself is still in excellent condition.

I have destroyed countless phones, radios and cameras in the normal course of business and can't possibly say enough about this case.

Sent from my enormous brain, using telepathy 3.141.