PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone plugged your DX into an Atrix Laptop Dock?

AdamTomaino
03-14-2011, 06:19 AM
I was at the mall this weekend with my wife and couldn't resist checking out the Atrix phone/docking laptop setup :) To my surprise and excitement I noticed the input/output HDMI/Data port were identical to my Droid X! so I began wondering, can I dock my DX? SADLY NO was the answer....well sort of; The camera budge on the back of the DX prevented plugging into the dock. I think that with a little bit of time and a dremel i could have modified the dock to sync my phone. I was wondering if anyone knows if the DX will support a laptop dock once Ginger is out!? (probably wishful thinking that no one knows the answer too). Thanks guys!:smile:http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/motoatrix4gdock01.jpg

1KDS
03-14-2011, 07:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken the linux laptop os lives in the phone itself, so even if it fit it wouldn't work.

Edit: I now see you're talking about the dock and not the laptop dock, really not sure now.

From the X

Snow02
03-14-2011, 07:57 AM
They sell a multimedia dock for the X. Docking the X in the Atrix dock won't give you the functions of the Atrix. So I'm confused why you would want to explore this.

And of course the laptop dock wouldn't work with the X.

WugFresh
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
What processesor are they using on the atrix?, and when you plug it into the dock to you get any additional hardware like increased storage or ram? Or is it purely a video out and keyboard thing? I really want atrix, this kinda phone plus laptop thing is something I always dreamed of having.

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Tegra. The extra features are on the phone as software, triggered by docking. Though someone figured out how to run the webtop over just an hdmi connection.

All processing is done in the phone. The laptop dock is just battery, screen, keyboard, and some ports.

WugFresh
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Dang.. it would be baddass if their was a built in external/internal ( what do you call it.. lol) hardrive in the keyboard dock. What's the in built storage?

{{ WugFresh }}

AdamTomaino
03-14-2011, 10:55 AM
So this seems like something that our DX could be capable of with a software upgrade! I hear the thunderbolt will also have webtop dock capability.

Snow02
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
No. The X doesn't have the hardware to adequately run a windowed environment.

AdamTomaino
03-14-2011, 12:20 PM
No. The X doesn't have the hardware to adequately run a windowed environment.
Are you referring to the lack of a second processor? or ram limitations? or what?

Snow02
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Both.

AdamTomaino
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Both.
Even a bare bones linux type environment? I mean bluetooth keyboard/mouse and a HDMI screen is 99% of the way there.

Snow02
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Sure. You're free to try to port it. I wouldn't waste the time. You can always use android screencast to manipulate your phone from your computer if that's what you're after.

The hdmi and usb plugs are turned around on the atrix so the dock wouldn't fit anyways.

FS36
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Motorola did announce that the WebTop app will come to all high end devices this year, so I am assuming lap top docks and such come a long with the app release...

Snow02
03-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Right, NEW high end devices, post-bionic.

irishpride
03-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Right, NEW high end devices, post-bionic.

Where did you see that it's only "post-bionic" devices that will have web-top capabilities?

Snow02
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I didn't. It's implied, since no other handsets have it, and they're not going to add it to existing handsets. The bionic has half the ram of the atrix, because it doesn't run the webtop software.

Where's the confusion?

closer
03-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Don't get me wrong but when I seen this netbook type dock I thought it was killer.
Then you have to think about how much it costs and how it really isn't much more portable than a real netbook. So for $450 what kind of netbook could you buy? Really its not worth it.

AdamTomaino
03-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Don't get me wrong but when I seen this netbook type dock I thought it was killer.
Then you have to think about how much it costs and how it really isn't much more portable than a real netbook. So for $450 what kind of netbook could you buy? Really its not worth it.
All about the WOW factor :)

fsand
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I am now seeing this dock for $50 and photon and some other motorola phone owners saying they frankensteined the dock to work by moving the ports etc. Eve a video of an X on youtube using the dock. I am wondering if I should get one of these for $50 and get my droid x2 working on it..... anyone have any new thoughts on this topic??