PDA

View Full Version : Droid X ROOTed System Optimization

VivaLaPrimo
03-10-2011, 11:06 PM
This thread is for Rooted Droid X users to post their favorite applications, tricks, and settings which allow for the best system optimization. Of course this is different for everybody, but in a general way this thread could be extremely helpful to a lot of people from the veteran to the recruit. This thread is focused on applications which would be used on a rooted system, as these allow for the most customization and altered settings.

After that, RESPOND with any settings you think could be improved, any tips or tricks, questions, your settings, and applications which you think help the Android system.

The reason I say Rooted so much is because that is truly the best way to customize your Android phone, and because most of the applications mentioned will require:
1. your phone to be rooted
2. Superuser
3. Busybox

I will also show my optimal Sysctl settings, overclock settings (volts, MHz) Bloat Freezer and beyond, and i even have a script which will DELETE some bloat. This does not mean freeze, so advanced users only.

I'll start by saying I have a variety of settings and applications on my Droid X to achieve the optimum system performance without sacrificing too much battery power. I am going to use this thread to list my system settings and what apps i use on my rooted Droid X to speed it up or keep it smooth.

A very important aspect of my system is that it is rooted. Without a rooted phone many, if not all of these steps will not work.

Task Managers:
I have to address task managers. The Android system is actually optimized to automatically organize and prioritize applications and tasks based on their importance and use. A task killer actually force closes open operations rather then leaving them running in background. The truth is, it may be more efficient to switch back to the app rather then force close it and reopen it. This defeats the point of task killers, to preserve valuable system assets.

Min Free Manager is an application for rooted phones which takes the place of a task manager. The user can set the parameters to three default settings; default, mild, or agressive. For advanced users there is also a self-entry mode for any settings you desire. These "ceilings" and "floors" dictate how much "memory" can be used for what part of the system. So in other words, instead of lettings things build up, and force close a few when it gets congested, this system prevents that by only allowing a few running processes, which, trust me- works amazingly.

Droid Overclock is surely my personal favorite app for its purpose. This application does exactly what it claims, with a brilliant user interface, great widget, profiles, and more.

i set my scaling frequencies normally at a medium-low voltage, and select the following settings:
1.0Ghz- with the options of- 300MHz, 600MHz, 800MHz
usally, i set the minimum to 600MHz to try to conserve battery, but i have found with these settings i can get about a day's worth of moderate with periods of heavy usage.
The system most of the time finds itself around:
Slot 1: 300MHz, 33V
Slot 2: 600MHz, 48V
Slot 3: 800MHz, 58V
Slot 4: 1000MHz, 62V

These settings change a few times a day, depending on what profile the phone automatically switches to, or if i am running a Benchmark. My highest benchmark rated the system at exactly what it displayed, 1GHz, I have not ventured to push it more then that.

I also use an application called Sysctl Settings. Many ROMs come with a menu where these settings can be controlled by the user, but I run the standard software with different flashes and hacks, a system i prefer. There is a little debate over how to set these perameters, but the general consensus is in the same arena:

Min Free KBytes = A
Dirty Ratio: = B
Dirty Background Ratio: = C
VFS Cache Pressure: = D
Oom Allocating Task: = E

The standard settings are different from the settings i consider to be best, this may differ depending on what you plan to do, or what you want to see, some settings may require a reboot every now and again. Below are my altered settings:

A = 2048
B = 95
C = 60
D = 50
E = **

**Oom Allocating Disc uses only TWO numbers. Basically, E can be set to 1 or 0. This translates simply into on, or off. In the application, you can simply check a box next to it to turn it on, or un-check it to turn it off. So, i would have the box checked on, because i use this function.

Aside from that, to avoid redundancy, if you would like to know what any of the above information means or translates to, there is a great post which cleared it up for me on a forum, i will post it as a comment when i can find it again.

Start-up Manager- There a few differnt applications which serve the same purpose, but i really am into this one. It is simply laid out, and easy to use. It works by disabling applications or system processes from opening when the phone boots up, speeding up boot time as well as eliminating wasteful processes from consuming resources from the start. This application does not require ROOT access, but it is needed to get the best use out of it. Upon using this application, start up cleaners are not needed, due to the fact that the apk's and processes do not run to begin with. This is handy for system apps you do not want to freeze, but do not use enough for it to be worth it to auto-run whenever you turn on your phone. Another cool feature is that you can add additional apps to start when the phone turns on, if they already do not.

Droid X Bootstrapper- probably should have been at the top of the list, but i am assuming most people with this level of understanding are somewhat fimilar with it. This program has saved my information more than once, and is invaluable to anyone who uses ROMs, or does anything which could risk the device's well being.

Blot Freezer- Ah, good old bloat freezer, what would I do without yah? Well, i would use another program, the point being, bloat freezer is excellent at what it does- freezing bloat-ware which came on ALL of our Droid X's. For example- The stub for EA Racing's Shift, the game which looked so cool until we realized it was simply a shortly-playable demo which took up far too much space. Bloat Freezer won't erase this file, and others like it (Amazon, Blockbuster, Work Contacts, Skype, My Verizon Mobile, and a few others are all safe to freeze.)

Ad-Free- Probably one of my most used on a daily basis applications. I have only clicked on the icon once, and have only seen the inside of the app once, but it works hard every day making sure my phone does not have those terrible looking ads which come with so many of my favorite free applications.

Root Tools- A great app from a great developer- JRummy16. This application allows for one-click font changing (check out the Sony one.) It allows for much more however.
-Apps to SD
-Backup/Restore
-Install Boot Animations (Gallery)
-Ad Blocker
-Call Ring Delay
-Dalvik VM Heap
-Max Events
-Proximity Delay
-Stagefright
-WiFi Scan Interval
-LCD Density
-Button Lights
-Build.prop Editor
-Manage Cache
-Clear Market History
The list goes on and on, this application is well worth what i paid for it, as it does so much for a rooted Android in such a clean user-interface with great results.

Other applications I like:
-Wireless Tether for Root Users- I not only do not have to pay 20 dollars a month to Verizon to use my phone to its true potential, the internet surfing speeds are excellent on the tethered device, and the application literally could NOT be easier to use. Hint: The more bars the phone has, the faster the internet. For me, this is a HUGE change from one bar not being worth it, to all bars making me wonder why i pay for Comcast.

MetaMorph- MetaMorph is absolutely one of my favorite applications. When using it correctly with a rooted Android phone, it will let you flash custom themes to your device. For instance, I have flashed a black status bar to my Droid X, with all new custom status icons ontop of it.
-------> It is very important to remind anyone using or flashing themes in any way, including MetaMorph, that a bad theme or file could cause your device to require a facotory reset, or worse, it could brick it, which happened to be not too long ago.

*****I have left a few things out, and with a bit more time will fill-in the rest. For now i hope some people can enjoy and go to some tutorials if they are interested in following up for their own device. This post is simply intended to be for discovering new methods of improving your device, not to be used as a "guide" to actually try some of these things for the first time.*****

VivaLaPrimo
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Catche cleaner is also a great app for rooted phones. Catches cleaner erases data that is not essential for system function. It is important to keep your memory use low, keeping the function high. With this app you can select exactly what applications keep their catche, and what apps have their's deleted. Aside from this there are many advanced settings that many people will like. When you have you catche configuration completed, all you have to do is open the app and cocktail on the logo. The program will execute its task, inform you how much space was saved, and auto-close.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

RayRay
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Which startup manager are you using? There are a couple on the market

VivaLaPrimo
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Its actually called "start up manager" it has a blue attractive looking icon. There is another one that world great as well called "auto starts." At the same time I recommend start up manager, its effective.

JNEHAMA
03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Are you on a custom rom or rooted stock? I came back to stock in between roms and am trying to decide whether to deodex my os so I can apply themes straight to stock os.
Do you ever just us TI to freeze bloat or do you find freeze bloat works better?

MalDroid
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I was having a problem with Quik clock advanced any tips?

sent from stock dx

MalDroid
03-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Just bought root tools

sent from stock dx

jmartinez748
03-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice right up should be helpful to quit a few people

Abe21599
03-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I was having a problem with Quik clock advanced any tips?

sent from stock dx

the dev is on here. check out quickclock thread in apps

MalDroid
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
the dev is on here. check out quickclock thread in apps
Where is that?

sent from stock dx

Abe21599
03-12-2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/16543-quickclock-advanced-official-feedback-help-thread.html?highlight=quickclock

MalDroid
03-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Got it thanks

sent from stock dx

VivaLaPrimo
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
JNEHAMA--I am on a rooted stock. I have changed a number of things using MetaMorph as i have said, but i am not deodexed. honestly, TI is good, and i really think it works well, but i used Bloat Freezer first, and the bloat was literally frozen- didnt run at all. Bloat Freezer has worked extremely well for me, so if i HAD to choose one, it would be that.

MalDroid-- I honestly have not used Quik Clock, the first overclocking application i have used is Droid Overclock, and i loved it so much i just kept using it. I did read an article in a Droid Guide and it really pushed Set CPU as the standard in overclocking and under clocking. I installed it, and honestly i was not very satisfied. The profiles are more advanced then Droid Overclock, but aside from that the user interface is not great, Droid Overclock has one of the best UI's i have seen out of any app. Aside from that the "set scaling frecquencies" option in Droid Overclock is so easy to use and has really great and safe presets. then when you jump to scale up or down it just makes sense.
If anyone has not noticed, I am under clocking my CPU. In my opinion it is the best situation to get more computing power using less voltage. My battery gets excellent usage, and my CPU is faster then many. I have overclocked it and i have benchmarked it at 1.2GHz, which was blazingly fast =]. The only problem was it burned up battery power, and the phone literally felt like it was an oven from the outside. So, i decided to set the voltage to a low setting for the amount of computing power i get from it. Personally, i think underclocking is the best way to go for lower battery use and higher speeds. Does anyone know of an in-depth guide about how CPU's work and what separates the Droid X's CPU from a standard netbook's? Thanks, its just something i have wanted to do some reading up on.

Also, can someone either point me towards an in-depth explanation of Deodexing and its benefits, or explain it to me? I am thinking of doing it if it brings enough benefit to the table. Thanks again.

Oh, everyone, don't be shy! Post your performance settings here also. It would be nice to get a general standard for a great-running Droid X which uses a reasonable amount of battery power! Also post any tricks or apps which have been cool, important, or useful in the process of achieving this.

JNEHAMA
03-13-2011, 10:32 PM
WugFresh has explained Deodexing very well on a couple of threads. I don't have the link at the tip of my tongue but I will look for it and post it but my understanding is this: if you want to stay stock and use formal themes like watermarked or revolution etc you must Deodex your system. In the original (odex) setup two files are used to manage a single process because only the important data is accessed making it faster. But to theme you change these files and need all the data together. Therefore you get rid of these "holder" files-the odex files and reincorporate the data thus allowing the theme to make its changes w/o causing problems.
It used to be done manually with the pc but there is a zip that can do it for system 2.3. 340.
I did it 2days ago and it was effortless. Just flash in clockwork. No wipe neccessary. I'll find the zip and post it here.

WugFresh
03-13-2011, 10:34 PM
I have the link! ;)
Optimized File Structures (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/18281-wugfresh-successful-ports-repository-25.html#post219945)

{{ WugFresh }}

JNEHAMA
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I have the link! ;)

Optimized File Structures (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/18281-wugfresh-successful-ports-repository-25.html#post219945)

{{ WugFresh }}

You must be everywhere. I went looking as soon as I posted, found it, move to my computer and you beat me to it. Oh well!
Theres no chagrined smiley so this was the best choice.LOL. :wink:

WugFresh
03-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I use the app clipper+ to create a snippet library of helpful links. I am literally faster on tapatalk than my PC. Lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

lynneddington
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
You must be everywhere. I went looking as soon as I posted, found it, move to my computer and you beat me to it. Oh well!
Theres no chagrined smiley so this was the best choice.LOL. :wink:

Wug lives here, dont u know

WugFresh
03-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Lol... I'm on 7 hour bus ride right now back to school right now.... and I really have to stop living here and focus a little more on my "real" studies for the remainder of the semester.

{{ WugFresh }}

lynneddington
03-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I use the app clipper+ to create a snippet library of helpful links. I am literally faster on tapatalk than my PC. Lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Wug is that an app from the market?

WugFresh
03-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes! Top notch. Cant live without it. I think there is a free/trial version if you want to try it. You can export your library as a csv file for anyone to import. I could send you mine, makes helping people on tapatalk a lot easier.

{{ WugFresh }}

lynneddington
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes! Top notch. Cant live without it. I think there is a free/trial version if you want to try it. You can export your library as a csv file for anyone to import. I could send you mine, makes helping people on tapatalk a lot easier.

{{ WugFresh }}

Please do. I have aterrible time trying to help because of probs posting links. Thanks P.S. WUGFOX is great, or will be when i get it all figured out. Always just used whatever came on device(comp, X, etc)

WugFresh
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Please do. I have aterrible time trying to help because of probs posting links. Thanks P.S. WUGFOX is great, or will be when i get it all figured out. Always just used whatever came on device(comp, X, etc)

http://db.tt/mCl1SWd

Put that file in the root of your sdcard, and then import it in clipper+.

Thanks! I like wugfox too... I use it! Lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

JNEHAMA
03-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Wug lives here, dont u know

Im getting that imression. Every thread I go to he has probably contributed too.

I love the clipper app, Ive been using it for personal stuff that I need to get to, but I see how the snippets could work for this. Ill hsve to try it.

Have a safe trip!

lynneddington
03-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks Wug. That will help.

VivaLaPrimo
03-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Okay I understand. Ill do a lot more reading also, I like to be an expert before I try something, but the catch is experience is the best way to learn. Thanks a lot for the link. So just boot into clockwork, install .zip, and reboot? Sounds really effortless.... especially since I don't have a PC, three MacBook pros can't do everything I have learned lol.

I actually have the same problem, I know more about Android and my phone then my college work, so I need to buckle down lol.

Aside from that, you guys should check out my MetaMorph thread in the theming tab, I have posted some resources and a tutorial which I think is pretty straight forward for anyone to use.

Thanks again on the help about deodexing... I basically am not really interested in a ROM, but use root permission to flash themes and hack some stuff, would it be recommended for me? Thanks again

JNEHAMA
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Wug can tell you definitively, but before I used the zip I read all the deodexing threads here and at xda. I was trying to learn to do it manually using xultimate and the pc. If you want to flash a theme stock you need to deodex.when people use Romss they already have a deodexed system because all of them are created using deodexed code but stock has odex files incompatible with themes. Once you deodex you can flash themes ported for stock– look for them in Wugs Successful Port Repository. There's a nice list of themes for stock.

The deodex zip applied very easily. I verified by looking into system/apps before and after. All the .odex files were gone.

Good luck.

WugFresh
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
No need for further clarification, you nailed it :)

{{ WugFresh }}

VivaLaPrimo
03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks a lot guys, that will be a big help and already has been. Yeah Im thinking of flashing Liberty but before that I need to fix this force rebooting problem which has pleagued my DX recently, I tried setting the factory wipe, no difference.. it only happens when the phone is unplugged and I press the power button to disable the screen, while its asleep it force reboots a few times an hour so I have to let it fall asleep on its own.... I think the application Battery Life had something to do with this problem considering it never happened before I insstalled it and now its uninstaed but still acting up.

In any event, someone in a help thread here told me to flash the stock ROM again so I am going to try that.