PDA

View Full Version : Rooting Droid X

ChiDroidX
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey all, was wondering if someone could give me a few quick basics for rooting my Droid X. I understand the basic concept, though I am utterly lost when it comes to actually rooting and selecting a ROM. Assistance please!

switchedgear
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I used z4root to root for the first time ever recently and it was painless. I then decided to install the liberty rom and it have me a few issues but I got it done. I would search for z4root to start. On my phone or I would post link.....good luck.

Beamed up to earthlings from my droidx.

ChiDroidX
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Appreciated, I'll read up on that one.

As far as ROM's, how do you go about selecting one? I thought each one offered something a little different, so you kinda pick the one that suits you. Problem is, I don't even know what all the different ROMs are haha.

WillMiii
03-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I downloaded z4root. Do permanent root. Phone should root shortly thereafter. Download titanium backup pro. Useful tool when you want to restore your apps. Esp games that you have made progress in. Download bootstrap for droid x. Youtube how to flash roms or install custom roms. Very simple. Then choose a rom that best suits you. I use apex 1.4.1 and found it to be user friendly. The most important thing to do is make a backup of your phone before flashing any roms. Hope this helps.

X running Apex 1.4.1

switchedgear
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I downloaded z4root. Do permanent root. Phone should root shortly thereafter. Download titanium backup pro. Useful tool when you want to restore your apps. Esp games that you have made progress in. Download bootstrap for droid x. Youtube how to flash roms or install custom roms. Very simple. Then choose a rom that best suits you. I use apex 1.4.1 and found it to be user friendly. The most important thing to do is make a backup of your phone before flashing any roms. Hope this helps.

X running Apex 1.4.1 I also suggest every one of these apps mentioned. Titanium saved my butt. Also I can't stress enough to backup your current system and read read read. Its easy but in cade something does go wrong you will want the right info to fix it.

Beamed up to earthlings from my droidx.

kmudd3
03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Some reading to help ease your mind:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/15140-how-ready-anything.html
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/14599-droid-x-hacking-checklist.html

ChiDroidX
03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Awesome, thanks so much!

Yes yes, lots of reading ahead of me haha. I've also been in the computers scene and all that, as far as building them and playing with Linux, but learning mobile devices is a new challenge for me.

JNEHAMA
03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey all, was wondering if someone could give me a few quick basics for rooting my Droid X. I understand the basic concept, though I am utterly lost when it comes to actually rooting and selecting a ROM. Assistance please!

Besides the guides which are essential there is another thread I just finished reading started by Drakeee who is also considering rooting. The replies have some excellent recommendations and outlines plans in a way I have not seen elsewhere. Worth finding. I think the title was 'to root or not to root' OP by Drakeee with post from today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App