PDA

View Full Version : Best Bluetooth for the Droid X....

veggiop
03-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I have a Droid X and was looking to get a bluetooth...I would like to be able to stream music and to be able to have my txt messages read to me...Also to have a decent battery life...I know the Motorola H17txt with Motospeak, can do it. Does anyone know of another headset that can do both for around $100? If you have one that does those things, let me know what you like about it and hate about it...Thanks!

ryant35
03-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I have a Moto N136 BT headset and I cannot connect it for media audio, just phone audio. So it won't even play notification ring tones through the headset. I don't know if that is a limitation of the phone or the BT headset, but I would try someone else's headset to see if you get the same problem before you spend $100 for a device that won't play media.

IMDROID
03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I have a Droid X and was looking to get a bluetooth...I would like to be able to stream music and to be able to have my txt messages read to me...Also to have a decent battery life...I know the Motorola H17txt with Motospeak, can do it. Does anyone know of another headset that can do both for around $100? If you have one that does those things, let me know what you like about it and hate about it...Thanks!

I've been using the Blueant Q2 Platinum (http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=27260) for a couple of months now and love it. Streams audio very well, and they also have an app in the market to read incoming text messages.

eric eakin
03-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Any that have a2dp capability can.

I have the jawbone icon and it is capable. Got it for like 70 $ online new. I think the new jawbone they just came out with can as well.

pizza_pablo
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
This is my current quest, as well.
I have a few bluetooth headsets, that I have used with previous phones, with good results.
However, these (Motorola H350 and 2 different H500) provide low call volume, even with the call volume set to max. It is difficult to hear the other person, while driving at freeway speeds. This is my main beef, with the DX. The handset call volume is not much better.
These ear buds do not protrude into the ear. The speaker sets on the outer ear, with a soft rubber boot around the speaker.

Can anyone name a bluetooth, that gives good (loud) call volume, on the DX and costs less than $50?

Edit: 19 Apr 11; how about $75? What is up with the low call volume?

corki2
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Edit: It's only been 4 months since I got this and although I do love the features and, as far as features and sound quality go it works great, but it's falling apart. First the mesh area where the microphone is got real sticky and came loose. I cleaned the area and used super glue to reattach the mesh. That seemed to take care of that problem. I was real happy because at that point, I'm still loving my Q2. Then, the housing for the microphone came loose and was hanging by the wires exposing the circuit board. Once again, I cleaned the area and reattached the housing with super glue, again pleased that I still had my Q2 since I still loved it, even with it's issues. Well, I don't love it anymore. The super glue holds for a couple weeks and then the housing falls off again. The third time having to reattach it, I dripped the glue on the volume rocker and can't adjust the volume anymore. According to the review I read before I purchased it, I am not the only one who has had problems with it falling apart, but I assumed the people who had trouble were putting it in purses, pockets or somewhere that it might get mangled, so I ignored that part of the reviews. Wrong. Mine is either on my ear or sitting on the counter. It's been handled very carefully and managed to fall apart anyway.

So, once again, I had to start the bluetooth research all over to find something that has all the features I love in a headset that is not apt to fall apart. I found the Motorola CommandOne for around $60.00 and decided it looks like the best one for me. In addition to the features it shares with the Q2 that I love, it also has the ability to respond to text messages when you use the MotoSpeak software. The Q2 couldn't reply to messages, at least as far as I know.

I don't have it yet but will post back after I have had a chance to try it out.

Below is my original post.

I posted this in another thread when someone was asking about the best bluetooth for Droid X in the Introductions thread. I thought I'd repost it here where people would most likely be looking for this info.

First impressions of the BlueAnt Q2 for anyone who might be interested. I got it this morning around 10:00. It came with a partial charge, so I just started out using it with no additional charging. It's been about 6 hours and so far, the battery is still going.

I tested the call quality utilizing 3 different people. I was at home with minimal background noise. All three people told me they could not detect any difference when I was talking through the bluetooth or the handset as I switched back and forth during the call. All of the callers sounded the same to me with, or without the headset. Loud and clear. I actually had to turn the volume down a little because it was too loud. I haven't tested it in the car yet.

I use Vlingo to read my text messages and I have a 3rd party program that reads my emails. Vlingo can do both, but it only polls for new email periodically, and the one I use (Talking Email) reads the emails sometimes before they even show up in my inbox. I can use Vlingo to respond to text messages while I'm driving. I have yet to see if Vlingo can respond to emails too, but they day is young.

As far as comfort, I am not accustomed to having anything in my ear. My fav BT was Motorola H700 because it just hovered there and you had nothing actually sticking in your ear. (Sadly, the H700 picks up every little sound you make while your using it and it's annoying to the folks on the other end). The BlueAnt came with an ear hook that wasn't very comfortable. Since I have never used a headset without an earhook, I was instantly put off. I decided to try just the earbud with the stablizer with no ear hook and see if it would work. I'm happy again. I had to test out each earbud to figure out the best one for my ear, but now that I have it properly situated, it's actually pretty comfortable. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it stays in my ear.

I hate when a headset disconnects when you're out of range and then won't reconnect automatically. Not a problem with this one. So far, it reconnects automatically as soon as you're back in range. Speaking of range, I didn't actually measure it, but walked appx 40' away before it disconnected. Not bad.

I like being able to respond to calls and texts (maybe emails too) without having to touch my phone when I am using my hands for other things and this headset accomplishes that for me when I use it with Vlingo in Drive Mode. They should call it "Busy Mode" since you can use it even if you're not driving.

So, I think it's safe to say I'm happy with the Q2. The only other choice would have been the Voyager Pro UC, but I read that if you wear glasses, it's not very comfortable. Aside from that, it's suppose to be as good, if not better than the Q2 as far as call quality and better at noise cancellation than the Q2, I am not certain of it's other capabilities since I've never used one.

I got it from All4Cellular for $59.95 plus $2.00 flat rate shipping.

Sorry for such a long post, but maybe someone will find the info useful. :smile:

RUSirius
05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Tagged Thanks!

pool_shark
05-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I've used the BlueAnt T1, it was a cool headset because it transfers your contacts to the headset and reads the caller's name thru the headset. I switched because the ear gel gets so loose and just spins around and it kept falling out. I switched to the Plantronics 975 which is a great headset, but I wanted to be able to answer or ignore with my voice. Then I bought the Plantronics Voyager Pro because I prefer behind the ear headsets because they are the most stable. Days later I found the Plantronics m1100, which allows me to answer or ignore by voice.
There is a BlueAnt app in the market that allows you to have your text messages announced in the headset, and there is Vocalyst for Plantronics which does the same thing.

onlyred
05-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I've never tried the BlueAnt ones.. always been a plantronics girl. I've had plenty of opportunity to test out the Plantronics BTs because I have a cat who eats them if I am not truly diligent about keeping them away from her. We are at 6 and counting so far. IMO the two best plantronics I have used (both with Droid X) are the Plantronics Discovery 975 and the ancient and prehistoric Voyager 510. Not sure why that one is so expensive on Amazon right now, it's easily one of their oldest BTs. It is also a darn good one if you can get past the ugly. However, for noise cancelling, I go with the 975, which is superb. It takes some getting used to since it has no earloop but it was surprisingly comfortable in my ear and it stuck in there quite well. I have long hair and still rarely dislodged it. In fact, I dislodged the loop styles far more frequently. A bonus to the 975 is that it comes with a charging case. You can charge the BT in or out of the case, and while you're not wearing the BT, it can be in the case charging. Or in the mouth of my cat. Thus I now have 2 useless charging cases. IMO the only thing I found negative about the 975 was that it is so small that people can not tell you are wearing it, which leads to many embarrassing moments at the cash register, at work, and when you appear to be walking around talking to yourself. I am saving up for my next replacement as I've been 2 months without a BT now. It's been the worst time of my life LOL
:omg:

pool_shark
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I've never tried the BlueAnt ones.. always been a plantronics girl. I've had plenty of opportunity to test out the Plantronics BTs because I have a cat who eats them if I am not truly diligent about keeping them away from her. We are at 6 and counting so far. IMO the two best plantronics I have used (both with Droid X) are the Plantronics Discovery 975 and the ancient and prehistoric Voyager 510. Not sure why that one is so expensive on Amazon right now, it's easily one of their oldest BTs. It is also a darn good one if you can get past the ugly. However, for noise cancelling, I go with the 975, which is superb. It takes some getting used to since it has no earloop but it was surprisingly comfortable in my ear and it stuck in there quite well. I have long hair and still rarely dislodged it. In fact, I dislodged the loop styles far more frequently. A bonus to the 975 is that it comes with a charging case. You can charge the BT in or out of the case, and while you're not wearing the BT, it can be in the case charging. Or in the mouth of my cat. Thus I now have 2 useless charging cases. IMO the only thing I found negative about the 975 was that it is so small that people can not tell you are wearing it, which leads to many embarrassing moments at the cash register, at work, and when you appear to be walking around talking to yourself. I am saving up for my next replacement as I've been 2 months without a BT now. It's been the worst time of my life LOL
:omg:

Isn't that stupid? You would think by now people would know that if you're having a conversation that has nothing to do with them, you must be on the phone using a headset.

Talon66721
05-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Isn't that stupid? You would think by now people would know that if you're having a conversation that has nothing to do with them, you must be on the phone using a headset.

+1 I guess some people are just so technologically unaware that some things even exist. It would be sad or funny, but I realize that people find different things worth being interested in than what we find to be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

corki2
05-08-2011, 01:15 PM
This may be true for all BT headsets with ADTP support, I don't know much about it, but I discovered that I can route my TV audio through my Q2. I got a new TV for Mother's Day and it has bluetooth audio feature. My husband works at night so he sleeps during the day and I keep the TV volume down so low that I can barely hear it. Now I can just route the sound through my headset and have it as loud as I want. It sounds great too. It disconnects when I get a call and reconnects when the call is ended. Plus, I can walk around my house and still hear my program as long as I don't go too far away from the TV.

pizza_pablo
05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry for such a long post, but maybe someone will find the info useful. :smile:
I REALLY appreciate your review!
Thank's for letting us know where you purchased and including the amount!
I was about to buy a Voyager Pro+, when I stumbled upon a review stating that is does NOT provide Caller ID. :excited: