PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Blocker/Inspector for Android by Xeudoxus

danDroid
03-09-2011, 07:32 AM
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachments/droid-news/29129d1299617509-privacy-blocker-inspector-xeudoxus-logo1.png

We are excited to announce a new and yet to be released application by DroidForum's very own Xeudoxus. It's called Privacy Inspector/Blocker. This application will put to rest all your concerns and worries about applications having access to your personal information. We've all been there questioning why an app needs access to our contact list. Well worry no more! Privacy Blocker/Inspector will put your mind at ease by it's very powerful, thorough and fast scan engine. This application is NOT an anti-virus program. It's much much more. It scans all your applications and will report all security concerns and/or problems and with the click of a button it will fix them.

Continue Reading @ Privacy Blocker/Inspector by Xeudoxus - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/131001-privacy-blocker-inspector-xeudoxus.html)

Droid-Xer
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Downloading now

macpro88
03-09-2011, 08:53 AM
same here! been watching the forum over at droid forums and I just rolled out of bed will be the next thing I do!

xrazedx
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Found some questionable stuff so far....its going to take quite some time for this to finish with all my apps.

Relentless

mikeinrichmond
03-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dan, downloading now...

(Swyped on the go..)

smalltowngirl13
03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Awesome!!

troDDen
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Downloading now also! Thanks for the heads up.

Mikey
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Was looking at Inspector to get an idea of the app.
Found it odd that an app to help us feel more secure reads Contact Data.
Maybe its just me though...

xrazedx
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM

He explains the reason on the Droid forums.

Relentless

macpro88
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Yeah, he explains in the thread over at droid forums in page 4 or 5 i think, said it was the only way around getting to read certain emailing features of apps or something like that.

gwilde
03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Downloaded and started using this morning. Have been surprised by a few apps and what they were accessing. Odd that some I felt my be an issue were clean and some I felt pretty good about were accessing way more areas than I thought. And I am very conservative and carefully in what I download.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TideFan22
03-09-2011, 08:55 PM
What will this do different than Droid dream killer? Would it be better to get rid of ddk and just use this? I'm fixing to read up on it so ill probably find my answer. Edit: didn't find it. I know what it does just want to know if one is better than the other or if I get this should I drop ddk or keep both

My X has been orangesliced!!

fezrock
03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Downloaded and started using this morning. Have been surprised by a few apps and what they were accessing. Odd that some I felt my be an issue were clean and some I felt pretty good about were accessing way more areas than I thought. And I am very conservative and carefully in what I download.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Got it early this morning. The results are definitely surprising.

love this badaX device!

macpro88
03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
What will this do different than Droid dream killer? Would it be better to get rid of ddk and just use this? I'm fixing to read up on it so ill probably find my answer. Edit: didn't find it. I know what it does just want to know if one is better than the other or if I get this should I drop ddk or keep both

This is the only app of its kind, so you can't really compare it DDK, it does a lot more than DDK. Use and support Privacy Blocker! As he rolls out updates its only gonna get better.

TideFan22
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm going to so should I ditch ddk or use both?

xrazedx
03-10-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm going to so should I ditch ddk or use both?

They are actually quite different. One patches your phone to prevent an exploit while the other scans your apps for privacy issues. Just keep both. What harm will it do? Think of it as having a double layer of security.

Relentless

TideFan22
03-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Its caused two of the three apps I fixed to constantly force close. Bugs, hopefully it gets worked out. Love the idea

plumcrazy
03-10-2011, 06:02 AM
what does it do to an questionable app ? does it stop the app from doing something bad or force close the app all together ?

macpro88
03-10-2011, 08:11 AM
what does it do to an questionable app ? does it stop the app from doing something bad or force close the app all together ?

It goes through the app's code and "fixes" it in a way that it no longer needs those "bogus" permissions, then re-assigns the app and re-installs that app, you will lose any data you have with that app, but you really only need to use on apps you may have not gotten from the Market or if you really think a particular app should absolutely not have those permissions. He is working really hard on making patches and bug fixes that does a better job at recognizing whats need from an app and whats not need from an app. It is a great concept and truly the only app of its kind to have such power and potential. So far, I have just scanned all of my apps, and only fixed one of them to see what it does. Certain apps, yes, may start to FC on you, I know this is the case with browsers, but browsers should be pretty well trusted and should not have to be fixed.

It pretty much uninstalls the app, deletes user data, looks through the code, deletes what isn't "necessary" and then re-zips, re-assigns it and then re-installs it.

SVDroidDude
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I do like the concept but will wait until many of the bugs are worked out. Also, I may be wrong but I heard that in some cases you will not get update notifications. That is a pretty big deal in my book. Any way to verify this?

dennyjones
03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm impressed with this app. Loving the ability to block private data. Well worth the IPO of $2.

Well...... one day later...

edit:

It would not fix:
The Weather Channel
Barcode Scanner
Cribbage Pro
Vlingo
Weather Bug Elite
You Tube
msnbc.com

after trying it for a day...I'll reserve judgment. Hopefully, he can fix the bugs.

TideFan22
03-11-2011, 01:19 AM
People better get it now cause its gonna go up to 3.99 I think that's the price, so buy it now deal with the little bugs cause that great dev will work nonstop till he gets rid of all the bugs

macpro88
03-11-2011, 08:29 AM
People better get it now cause its gonna go up to 3.99 I think that's the price, so buy it now deal with the little bugs cause that great dev will work nonstop till he gets rid of all the bugs

+1, I made sure the buy that next morning lol. He does great work, and will defiantly not sleep until it is a perfect app!

eric eakin
03-12-2011, 03:20 AM
got the paid app, see how it goes, just fc'd before even getting through settings menu - hope he is right and time will fix!

Droid-Xer
03-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Ya its only been out a few days. So give it a week or so to work all the bugs out. He's only one man. Microsoft can't get windows bug free and they're abillion dollar corporation! Lol

eric eakin
03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
i know i know, just wasnt expecting that right out the gate haha! It is working just fine now!!!

Droid-Xer
03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Ya I was reading that it wasn't working at all for some. Most x users seem to be only affected with minor issues. I got a FC when tying to remove permissions from super manager. Other than that no issues.

xrazedx
03-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Just email him regarding any confirmed bugs. I emailed him about two and he fixed them right away. There are still more but he's definitely taking care of them.

Relentless

mikeinrichmond
03-12-2011, 07:23 AM
There was an update in the Market for it this am, mine says 1.2 now.

(Swyped on the go..)

dennyjones
03-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Even with the update. I'm still getting apps that I'm having to completely uninstall and download again from the market. But, I'm patient. Great concept.

macpro88
03-12-2011, 01:20 PM
the update helped a little, look forward to more, but I guess use your own judgement if an app really needs those permissions and if you really think its harmful or not.

TriciaH
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
It found two in Weather Eye so told it fix, it did, told it install fixed version, it did. Now weather doesn't work at all ha. Force close. Reinstalled from Market. Does not fix Handcent. I somehow think the weather app needs some sort of network access to figure out where you are....

TriciaH
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Is there someplace with guidance on all those settings menus?

macpro88
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Is there someplace with guidance on all those settings menus?

You can start here Privacy Blocker/Inspector (http://privacytools.xeudoxus.com/)

From there you can be taken to quite a few official forums. Most of everything is explained when you first start the app and the popups popup and tell you whats what.

TriciaH
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks! I did read those popups when it installed and ran the first time. Will check out the other links. Appreciate it.

macpro88
03-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks! I did read those popups when it installed and ran the first time. Will check out the other links. Appreciate it.

Yup, no problem, I know there are a few threads over at droid forums that have some good info.