PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Gadgets 3500 mAh Review

Dustin0308
03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I recently purchased the gorilla gadgets 3500 mAh extended battery and am very pleased. It is getting 30 hours of very heavy use (pandora playing for 4 hrs, satellites on all day, display up all the way for half the day, probably a little over 100 texts a day, about 1 hour total of phone calls, GPS on for about 30 mins to half an hour, on droidxforums and similar apps for 6 hours out of the day and the rest standby time with everything running in the background). The only negative thing about the battery is there is currently no case that actually fits it without hacking the case up some. But i prefer my DX naked with this battery. The battery stays relatively cool despite pandora being on, satellite being on, and display being at its fullest brightness, as well as texting. Anyone looking to buy this battery needs to consider it...this thing is amazing. I was trying to kill the thing and it just wouldn't die. Although as I'm posting this now, it is currently out of stock. lol

Update: I got 42 hours on this battery now with heavy use

Cell Phones and Tablets :: Motorola :: Motorola Droid X - LED Flashlights, Cell Phone Gadgets, Computer Gadgets, iPhone 4 Accessories, and much more with $1.99 Flat Rate Shipping! (http://gorillagadgets.com/cell-phone-accessories/motorola/motorola-droid-x.html)

Dvan
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I got the same battery came up with the same conclusion. although I use my phone so much I can bring it down to dead in about 12 hours on the weekends

1236 mhz balanced quickclock profile / rubix focused 2.0

Dustin0308
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
well i could probably do that..but my gf would probably end our relationship..lol..im addicted to this phone and dont wanna be on it around her..but now she can play angry birds without me having to worry about the stupid battery going from 100 to 70 in 20 minutes. Have you also noticed that it goes down from 100 relatively quick..but then once it gets to 30 to 20 it stays on forever?

ryant35
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow that thing is huge!

A little too big for me, I have the Moto brand extended BH6X battery which is 1mm bigger with the new battery door and it's almost too big. I've got chargers everywhere and I have my P790 Motorola Battery Pack for when I'm away from a charger.

Dvan
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah I noticed that. I tried to use the 'battery left' widget to try to get some accurate battery life readings but it never did get it right so I uninstalled it.

TekWarren
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Dang out of stock! Wow for $25 it seems to good to be true! Not sure I would want it in all the time but for a weekend or a long trip on the motorcycle it would be nice.

Dvan
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It was just in stock the other day too... keep checking on it

TekWarren
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I was emailing back and fourth with a lady and she said it would probably be two weeks so I have to set myself a reminder. I even offered to pay now and have them ship on delivery but she said they don't do that. I'm thinking this will be nice to have for day or longer motorcycle rides so I can run gps and record the route...nerd stuff mixed with biker activity LOL.

Dvan
03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Be sure that when you first get it you drain the battery completely and recharge the heck out of it. I'm talkin like 10 + hours. do this 3 to 4 times and you'll get the best longevity. If your rooted be sure to wipe the battery stats after your first full charge.

Dustin0308
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
This thing is not too good to be true..and battery left us working give for me now..it takes some time to calibrate it

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

Dustin0308
03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Its really not that bad..I think it fits better in the hand lol

Wow that thing is huge!

A little too big for me, I have the Moto brand extended BH6X battery which is 1mm bigger with the new battery door and it's almost too big. I've got chargers everywhere and I have my P790 Motorola Battery Pack for when I'm away from a charger.

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

may0799
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Can't beat the price. Will be checking regularly for this to be in stock.

Dustin0308
03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
You won't regret it my friend

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

Dvan
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Its really not that bad..I think it fits better in the hand lol

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

Lol yeah I like the fit as well. Its crazy how incredibly thin my wife's dx feels when I hold it lol...not used to it anymore

TheJustPull
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Can't beat the price. Will be checking regularly for this to be in stock.

Me too. I've been thinking and extended would let me keep my x au natural and not worry the dropsies. The price is perfect too. Get these in stock, please!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TekWarren
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Can anyone comment on the extended batteries from Hong Kong and such? I'm actually assuming this is where the Gorilla Gadgets place is getting theirs... I was looking around on eBay last night and you can find 3500mAh batteries even cheaper from HK. The sellers I was looking at had very high positive feedback and not just from a few people but ALOT of people.

ryant35
03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Can anyone comment on the extended batteries from Hong Kong and such? I'm actually assuming this is where the Gorilla Gadgets place is getting theirs... I was looking around on eBay last night and you can find 3500mAh batteries even cheaper from HK. The sellers I was looking at had very high positive feedback and not just from a few people but ALOT of people.

I've never purchased a decent battery from eBay, it's not work the savings.

TekWarren
03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm just trying to weigh out if this Gorilla place actually back's these 3500 batteries or has done their own testing on them. If all they are doing is buying them from Hong Kong and marking them up, may as well as buy from the source and save some money...seems like the same amount of risk, I guess I just don't know anything about this Gorilla Gadgets company.

John.Borgen
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Me too. I've been thinking and extended would let me keep my x au natural and not worry the dropsies.

Why would you stop worrying about dropping your phone because of the extended battery?

insert witty signature comment here.

TekWarren
03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I was wondering about that comment also LOL, the only thing I can come up with is that the extended battery would add the bulk that maybe some people would want or feel more comfortable holding.

TekWarren
03-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Looks like they are back in stock this morning...and the price went up. I'm not sure if this a greed move because they sell out so quickly or if +$4 per unit is due to other logistical reasons...seems unlikely.

Dustin0308
03-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Its worth the money either way

Looks like they are back in stock this morning...and the price went up. I'm not sure if this a greed move because they sell out so quickly or if +$4 per unit is due to other logistical reasons...seems unlikely.

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

monkespit
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Cost is an obvious sign of battery quality. Next to the brand name. I'm sure that cheap 3500mah gorilla battery is great, now, but I would really wait to see how long it holds up the 30-40 hours of heavy use. I'm sure its recharge cycles are rather low, but who knows.
Also I'm sure it does come from Hong Kong, as there's slim to none lith-ion manufacturers here anyways.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dustin0308
03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
So far so good..have had it for three weeks now..and why yes I understand what your saying about the cost of batteries..the cost isn't always a reflection of the quality..I've seen guys buy batteries for many things. And in my line of work I've seen companies buy two sets of 3d rechargeable nicad batteries at $70 a piece and they go bad within a week and it be because of the battery..whereas they went and bought the cheaper version of those and they last five years..both examples being dealt with in the same manner..
Cost is an obvious sign of battery quality. Next to the brand name. I'm sure that cheap 3500mah gorilla battery is great, now, but I would really wait to see how long it holds up the 30-40 hours of heavy use. I'm sure its recharge cycles are rather low, but who knows.
Also I'm sure it does come from Hong Kong, as there's slim to none lith-ion manufacturers here anyways.

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

TekWarren
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Well I took a leap and bought one of the cheap 3500's off eBay. We'll see how it goes, I don't think I will end up using the big battery for everyday use. My idea is to use it on motorcycle trips so I don't have to wire up a plug. I will probably charge it good and see how long it lasts when it comes in and will report on my findings.

DroidToro
03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I got the cheap 3500 mah battery from ebay and am getting ~36 hours from it with heavy use during the day and left on all night. I compared pictures and got one that looked like the same label as found on the pic at gorilla gadgets. The only issue is i don't get an accurate reading on battery usage. Has anyone found a solution for that?

droidx liberty 1.5 rom

TheJustPull
03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I was wondering about that comment also LOL, the only thing I can come up with is that the extended battery would add the bulk that maybe some people would want or feel more comfortable holding.
Boom, headshot. I got the extended from seido and it makes holding it side ways fantastic :)

Dustin0308
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Battery left widget works pretty good for me

I got the cheap 3500 mah battery from ebay and am getting ~36 hours from it with heavy use during the day and left on all night. I compared pictures and got one that looked like the same label as found on the pic at gorilla gadgets. The only issue is i don't get an accurate reading on battery usage. Has anyone found a solution for that?

droidx liberty 1.5 rom

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

TekWarren
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

droidx liberty 1.5 rom

I was noticing the same thing you mentioned. Most of the 3500 pics on ebay looked the same as what gorilla gadgets sells. I'm still finding it odd that the auction went through for 99 cents. The guy is charging $12 shipping so still at $13 its a fraction of the cost of the others. Maybe I should buy up a bunch and sell them for $20 each...I won't but I'm pretty sure that is what is happening already. Should have the battery tomorrow I think.

Dustin0308
03-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Just buy from a trusted source or one that has a good name..gorilla gadgets has a pretty good name on these forums (from people who have actually used them, not from ones just stating their opinions)..worst case...your out a couple of bucks..then you can put your stock battery back in

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

DroidToro
03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I got the cheap 3500 mah battery from ebay and am getting ~36 hours from it

I should have also stated that I normally get ~12 hours from stock with similar usage. I also think my ~36 hours estimate was a bit optimistic. Might be more like ~32. It's hard to be sure because I often recharge before I hit bottom. When I run down the battery it's usually deliberate just to see how long I go, and I have only done it a few times. Either way, the run time is long enough that I don't have to worry about long untethered times any more.

I gotta try that "battery left" widget and see if it gives an accurate reading. Thanks for the tip.

Dustin0308
03-17-2011, 08:57 AM
calibrate it. It can take 4 readings from fully charged to shut off for it to be more accurate. i believe you will have to buy the pro version of it to add the extended battery profile.
I should have also stated that I normally get ~12 hours from stock with similar usage. I also think my ~36 hours estimate was a bit optimistic. Might be more like ~32. It's hard to be sure because I often recharge before I hit bottom. When I run down the battery it's usually deliberate just to see how long I go, and I have only done it a few times. Either way, the run time is long enough that I don't have to worry about long untethered times any more.

I gotta try that "battery left" widget and see if it gives an accurate reading. Thanks for the tip.

DroidToro
03-18-2011, 07:36 AM
calibrate it. It can take 4 readings from fully charged to shut off for it to be more accurate. i believe you will have to buy the pro version of it to add the extended battery profile.

It already seems a lot more accurate in the free version. Thanks for the tip on that app. It even fixes the system calibration so that the task bar meter is accurate.

Dustin0308
03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
No problem

It already seems a lot more accurate in the free version. Thanks for the tip on that app. It even fixes the system calibration so that the task bar meter is accurate.

John.Borgen
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Awesome, my Gorilla Gadgets batt should arrive in the mail today...I'm quite stoked about the added battery life.

RubiX 2.0.1 | Mysterious Beast

Dustin0308
03-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Again...drain it completely then charge it overnight for like eight hours so you know it has a full charge...did it 3 or four times for best battery performance

Awesome, my Gorilla Gadgets batt should arrive in the mail today...I'm quite stoked about the added battery life.

RubiX 2.0.1 | Mysterious Beast

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

John.Borgen
03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
I've been running this thing for 30 hours now and it just won't die. It's been in 10% for over 4 hours! I was hoping to kill it before bed so I could charge it all night....at this rate it'll last all night. Hahaha.

RubiX 2.0.1 | Mysterious Beast | OC'd 1265MHz | Gorilla battery

John.Borgen
03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
I charged overnight after draining it completely (2 night ago). Yesterday, I turned the phone on, rebooted into recovery, wiped battery stats and rebooted. The phone worked fine but seemed to be draining rapidly. It was at 10 by 8pm (it wasn't used more than normal, usually it's around 40% at this time of the evening). However, I left it off the charger and it's still running...still at 10%, but still running.

Am I not resetting the battery stats correctly? I thought I had this sorted out before but now I'm not so sure.

John.Borgen
03-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Looks like this widget is what I need. I'll give it a try...and continue to drain and charge a couple more times.

DroidToro
03-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like this widget is what I need. I'll give it a try...and continue to drain and charge a couple more times.

Actually, it started off a lot more accurate and got worse. I must have done something wrong. I'm going to wipe data and re-install and see what happens.

TekWarren
03-23-2011, 07:38 AM
I haven't received my ebay battery yet but I'm playing with the battery left app as well and hope to use it when the new batt comes. I think it says right in the app that it could take several full drains/recharges before the accuracy level becomes stable/possitive. For these bigger batteries that could be a couple weeks and breaking ourselves (me at least) from the habit of plugging in every night.

John.Borgen
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Yep, that's what I'm working through now. The battery left apparently is behaving strangely. But I suppose that's going to happen as it worksbthroigh calibration. It's estimates are going up instead of down. Last night I had 6 hours remaining, this morning I have 9. :)

Dustin0308
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Its still calibrating it..it changes depending on usage..that's normal

Yep, that's what I'm working through now. The battery left apparently is behaving strangely. But I suppose that's going to happen as it worksbthroigh calibration. It's estimates are going up instead of down. Last night I had 6 hours remaining, this morning I have 9. :)

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

TekWarren
03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I got my ebay battery! I popped it in and am now recalibrating. The new batt is really not that much heavier and I don't mind the added thickness. I look forward to comparing notes with you guys :)http://184.72.239.143/mu/4cf918b8-78a4-a152.jpghttp://184.72.239.143/mu/4cf918b8-78eb-d01c.jpg

TekWarren
03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Sorry for double posting but is it recommend to both wipe batt stats from recovery and do the recalibration in battery left? So far I just slapped the battery in and working on draining it, also doing recal with batt left.

ennix
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry for double posting but is it recommend to both wipe batt stats from recovery and do the recalibration in battery left? So far I just slapped the battery in and working on draining it, also doing recal with batt left.

I would like to know this too. I will probably just do both if no one advises not to. Should this also be done when changing roms?

How is that battery doing? Does it get hot?

John.Borgen
03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
I've been wiping stats in recovery and calibrating. The battleft widget has gotten better but it still misses the mark by 8 hours or so. It keeps telling me the battery is dead and I keep using the phone for another 10 or 12 hours.

Dustin0308
03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I use the battery volts on battery left instead..its closer

I've been wiping stats in recovery and calibrating. The battleft widget has gotten better but it still misses the mark by 8 hours or so. It keeps telling me the battery is dead and I keep using the phone for another 10 or 12 hours.

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

ennix
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
I have been using this gorilla gadgets battery for a week or so and have 'battery left widget'and 'battery widget' both running. The battery left widget seems most accurate. My question is, will the battery Meter in the notification bar ever read correctly so I can eventually ditch the widgets? Battery left says I have 34% while the stock battery Meter says 10%

Dustin0308
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't believe so, no..the stock one isn't set up for an extended battery like this..I've had mine for a little over a month now and it doesn't read accurately..battery left seems to be the closest

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

TekWarren
03-29-2011, 07:15 AM
I was running Rubix blurry when I put my ext battery in and had fully discharged and recharged a couple times with battery left widget running. There was a small section near the beginning of the bar graph that would not change to green (the indicator that tells you at which points the app has been able to take readings). I'm not sure what was up with that. Anyway I made the jump to the Gingerbread leak yesterday (awesome btw even with blur improvements). I have one full charge on the battery since flashing GB and I am currently on about 22.5 hours without a charge and the stock battery gage is showing about half used. This also with some heavy use yesterday setting up my screens and changing widgets around...still not done. I have not reinstalled the batt left widget as I wanted to see what it would do. There are some cool battery stats in GB such as a graph that shows the discharge of the battery that I will keep an eye on and maybe try and post a screen shot of. I will be doing the recalibration all over yet again as I am expecting a replacement DX in the next day or so since they keep sending crappy replacement units (original camera button quit working) but I definitely do plan on running GB on the replacement also...even without root yet it runs smooth as butter.

JeepDroid
03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Does anybody make a case that will fit the x with 3500 mah battery

Dustin0308
04-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Does anybody make a case that will fit the x with 3500 mah battery

Not currently no...i emailed gorilla gadgets about it because they decided to make a case for the evo 3500 but not the X. Dont they know the X is king? Lol.. Still haven't heard from them...lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TekWarren
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think it is GG you should be asking LOL, all they are doing reselling what they buy in bulk. When I was reading on their site I got the impression that they are just a reseller not a manufacturer.

Dustin0308
04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't think it is GG you should be asking LOL, all they are doing reselling what they buy in bulk. When I was reading on their site I got the impression that they are just a reseller not a manufacturer.

That may be true, but if there are enough requests, they could contact the manufacturer about it. It doesn't hurt to contact them lol

WhiteLabelDon
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Has anyone used theirs G 3500 for a few months that can report on how well its holding a charge compared to when it was new

Sent from my DROIDX using Gingerbread

TekWarren
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I have the cheap ebay 3500 and have been trying to get some stats but I have changed things around to much between playing with leaked gingerbread, rooted GB, and now the Rubix GB ROM. I can say though that I am easily now charging about every other day instead of making it a point to charge every night. I run wifi more often than not and my phone is used to check/update/close work orders throughout the day between multiple buildings. That and email some light texting but not much really. I also run a couple times a week so I have GPS on, RunKeeper, and Pandora streaming and it handles it with no problems even if my run day lands on the downside of a 2-day no charge period.

Does anyone know if there is an app that will average the battery life? I had the battery left widget installed before but now I just clear the batt stats in recovery. I can't remember if battery left actually calculated an average lifespan on a full charge or not but I think that would be most useful so we could provide more real feedback on these batteries.

Dustin0308
04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
yes..it is holding a consistent 35 hours on heavy use...for the last month for me..i have it broke in..
Has anyone used theirs G 3500 for a few months that can report on how well its holding a charge compared to when it was new

Sent from my DROIDX using Gingerbread

TekWarren
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
To answer my own question above I am going to try out an app called Battery Monitor Widget (https://market.android.com/details?id=ccc71.bmw) It keeps a history log and has some pretty great graphs with pertinent data read outs. In the settings I specified 3500 for my battery size. It is still calculating some things and will need some time to calibrate but I plan on doing a full over night charge tonight and will wipe my bat stats and any stats this app collected, in the morning. If you try it out don't bother with the fancy widgets...there is one you can use but I just setup the notification bar display and its good enough. Has good reviews, worth a shot.

Edit: I wanted to note that I am running the Rubix blurry bread ROM and also using QuickClock WITHOUT overclocking but running stocks speeds under volted but I will spell all that out in my findings.

Also for what its worth I've been running my DX with wifi off the last few days (not really downloading a lot) and my battery life seems worse. I am buildings with wifi all day and I read that wifi may improve batt life if 3g signal is hindered, really one one of our buildings totally blocks out 3g so I'm going to go back to running wifi pretty much all the time except maybe between work and home if I think about it.

WhiteLabelDon
04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
I Just got my today its charging and I have Battery left pro. Thats going to be my problem to resisting the urge to charge at night haha

I haven't received my ebay battery yet but I'm playing with the battery left app as well and hope to use it when the new batt comes. I think it says right in the app that it could take several full drains/recharges before the accuracy level becomes stable/possitive. For these bigger batteries that could be a couple weeks and breaking ourselves (me at least) from the habit of plugging in every night.

WhiteLabelDon
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Also should I run out the partial charge it ships with then charge or charge to full out of box? I just wiped stats and set up profile in battery left

WhiteLabelDon
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I just got mine in today I have drained and currently doing a full charge. I was wondering what volts you are getting close to drained and with a full charge?

I use the battery volts on battery left instead..its closer

Dustin0308
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I have the gg battery..is your battery from ebay? But either way I'm getting about 3.3 volts (give or take .1) for its dead charge. And its about 4.2 for a full charge (i don't think battery left is completely accurate, but I can estimate when I need to charge lol)

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

WhiteLabelDon
04-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Alright sounds good mine seems to be exactly the same but its from eBay. On my first full day and still going and I'm a HEAVY user I've never gone through a full day without needing a charge. One more question though right now battery left isn't too accurate in its time or battery estimation only voltage with a few more cycles how accurate did yours get?

Sent From My Droid X Rooted GB

TekWarren
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Looks like my ebay battery is topping out around 4169mV at 100% charge I don't see anything higher than that. I'm at 10% life right now and it shows 3730mV, probably let it run to dead today for more accurate stats.

Snow02
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Looks like my ebay battery is topping out around 4169mV at 100% charge I don't see anything higher than that. I'm at 10% life right now and it shows 3730mV, probably let it run to dead today for more accurate stats.

Yes, let it run dead. You have a ways to go. Dead will be around 3400-3500 mV.

WhiteLabelDon
04-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Yea I'm on my second full charge and still only the MV is accurate mine tops at the same exact amount. Dead is 3300 let me know if your estimated percent starts to get more accurate and how long your lasting I had to leave screen on no turnoff for it to to die after 22 hours

TekWarren
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Well I'm hoping I didn't kill my battery the other day...I let my battery run down...I think it actually depleted itself. On day two of a full charge (night before last) I was letting the battery run down. That evening it was 5% and telling me to connect to the charger but it was still going so I let it go over night and it did die. I had to mess with the phone a bit to get it to power up yesterday morning, doing a few battery pulls and letting it sit charging for a while before it would even power up (normal for some electronic devices). I was charging over USB just to compare the charge time which my app keeps track of. By the way almost 4.5 hours to charge over USB compared to about 1.75 hours using AC...I knew it was slow but not that slow! Anyway after a full USB charge yesterday morning my battery was down to 5-10% already by last night. Normally my battery has been running strong for 2 days on a charge so I'm not sure what happened here. I did a full AC long over night charge on AC last night and will see how it does today. If the battery is toast I might see if the ebay seller will send me a replacement otherwise maybe something quirky happened with the USB charge. Also to note, maybe related...I wasn't thinking about my app battery stats being saved on the SD card so after the charge was full and the app was already running it wasn't reading my previous stats data. I force closed the app and then the previous data showed up again, maybe this caused the short life in the battery (or a bad indicator estimation).

My lowest mV at 5% reading was 3209 scrolling through my stats it looks like on day two I am usually charging with around 30% left...not sure on accuracy but probably pretty close. I wanted to post some screen shots of the stats in the app I'm using but I think yesterdays odd discharge rate is horribly throwing the stats off. If it seems normal today and lasts through tomorrow on this charge I should probably wipe my stats again and just avoid the USB charging which I rarely do anyway...or if I have to maybe put the phone in PC mode so X can still access the SD card data.

WhiteLabelDon
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think ye fried your battery as I have the same one you do. I haven't tried the USB charge but o have noticed it was relatively less beneficial to optimal battery life. try today and see your results.

TekWarren
04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I think your right, I am on day two of a full AC charge and still at 66% mid morning. I'm sure that my charging it via USB from my computer just screwed the stats as the app I'm using (battery monitor) saves that data to the sdcard which my computer automatically mounted while charging which took away access from the phone/apps during that time. I wiped my stats again the other day with this app and it does seem to be back to normal. I also learned of a neat little app from doing some searching on the forum here...Battery Monitor Free will give you a percentage notification up in the top left of the notification bar. It shows single digit increments not just 10% increments. In the options you can also set it to base its calculation off the voltage of your battery. It says a little blurb about using this setting for aftermarket batteries. It also states it will fluctuate some but for aftermarket units it may be more accurate. Neat little addition for us geeks that are watching our stats so closely LOL Anyway I'll post up a screen shot of the graphs/stats from battery monitor next week sometime after I get another charge or two through it.

zuckerj
04-26-2011, 01:53 AM
If your rooted be sure to wipe the battery stats after your first full charge.

How exactly do you "wipe the battery stats"?

Thanks for any help!

Jz.

TekWarren
04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Boot into clockwork or use one of the apps mentioned in this thread to wipe stats.

Just to update on my findings with the battery monitor free widget...Using the option to get calculations from voltage has not proven to be accurate for me so I turned that option off. It does seem to work well giving you a bit more precise idea of how much battery life is left.

willlay
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
the most ive ever gotten out of this battery was like 16 hours. how are you guys getting 30+? are you doing anything special because i can seriously not figure it out

mrdank
04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
For everyone who has bought a battery from GG just wanted to let you know that when you first get the battery you should let the life thats in the battery die before you plug it into your charger! The first couple of days youll be getting weird reading from your battery like it will go from 100% to 50% in 3 hours but then it will stay there for hours dont worry its normal. You just have to make sure you let it die completely before you plug it in at least for the first week or 2 . letting it die on its own will ensure you get the most out of the battery if you keep chargeing it at 20% your phone will aways want to be charged at that point which will weakin your battery! Hope this helps ..

willlay
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
ive had it for about 2 weeks now and ive been letting it die before i even try to recharge it. so im not sure why its doing this

mrdank
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Well if your not getting longer life I would call them it might be a defect! I heard there pretty understanding

willlay
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
also one last question, did you guys get the Li-ion GG battery or the Li-polymer? is there a difference?

eski7399
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Do I get the poly or the ion?

Liberty GB v0.1 Awesomeness!!!

willlay
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Do I get the poly or the ion?

Liberty GB v0.1 Awesomeness!!!

yeah looks like i got the poly, so im returning that and getting the li-ion

TekWarren
04-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I think you are right to return it Willay.

I finally decided I was putting to much effort in tracking stats and what not rather than just letting my phone do its thing LOL. I think the battery apps where messing with the life a bit especially when I started using a second app that also was trying to read some sensors. I can get at the least, 2 full work days out of my phone on a single charge with my ebay 3500 and I am content with that. I have since wiped my stats with clockwork and removed all 3rd party apps. I'm still on the first leaked/rooted Gingerbread and it manages my battery just fine. I am going to try to remember to use the Sleep mode option the nights I don't charge it and probably sometimes for my drive to and from work...this should save a decent amount of battery life also.

cwatts78
05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
If anyone is looking for an idea for a case for the 3500 battery for the X that will work until something more official is released, I might have a solution. I decided to alter a Body Glove hard case with a dremel tool that seems to work very nicely for the time being. All you have to do is figure out how much of the back plate to remove to allow the battery to fit. Only drawback to this is that there is nothing on the back to prevent the back plate for the battery from popping off other than the battery cover itself. I included a few pictures of the end result to give some sort of idea on how much to remove from the back plate.

Dustin0308
05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Very nice. Looks awesome

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

explodie7
06-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Regarding cases that fit; I contacted Trident recently to inquire about this very issue and was told that they have one due to release this month.
They also have their own extended battery that they well be offering to go along with this case, so who knows how much extra space will be allotted for the extended back.

bugly64
07-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm a newbie to this forum and Instead of searching this board I plugged in my new 3500 mah battery and charged it up. I have been reading that I should've let it die completely first. I just wanted to know what I should now? Did mess up my battery permanently?

glshub
07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Not currently no...i emailed gorilla gadgets about it because they decided to make a case for the evo 3500 but not the X. Dont they know the X is king? Lol.. Still haven't heard from them...lolSent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums Ebay has one. I bought it and like it.search droid x extended battery case. If you dont find it pm me and Ill find it for you. Was like $15 delivered. I really like mine. I got the Dickies case from Amazon and am very pleased with the whole set up.

kineticlops
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Just found this site and this is the first thing I looked for. I went to the Gorilla Gadgets website and found the Droid X Lithium-Poly battery and a Li-Ion for Droid/Droid2/Droid 2 Global. The latter is the one I am looking for, correct?

eddie3130
11-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I just recieved mine today an it says its a lithium polymer battery.. is there a huge difference between the 2??

Dvan
11-15-2011, 07:07 PM
My gg battery kinda just died after a few months...wouldn't hold a charge for more than 7 hours or so. I'm hack to stock now

eddie3130
11-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Soon as i got mine i left the display on till it died..i plugged in my house charger an left it for 3 hours an it dosnt wana charge it stay at 5% the whole time.. i unplugged it an shut off.. any body else have issues charging there droidx with the gg 3500?? Mine dosnt seem to wana charge

eddie3130
11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Nevermind the up top post i guess the outlet i had to hooked up to is at fault

zuckerj
11-16-2011, 11:22 PM
My gg battery kinda just died after a few months...wouldn't hold a charge for more than 7 hours or so. I'm hack to stock now

Yeah, on my second GG battery. The first just completely died after a while. They sent me a new one, no problem, but now, after a 4 or 5 months, that one is beginning to lose duration.

Also, really hard to get a battery app that gives an accurate read on charge left.

Jz.

dracon6ai
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, on my second GG battery. The first just completely died after a while. They sent me a new one, no problem, but now, after a 4 or 5 months, that one is beginning to lose duration.

Also, really hard to get a battery app that gives an accurate read on charge left.

Jz.

Battery Monitor by Simmo in the market place does a decent job at it. I set it to- low=3175 high=4150. It drops steady till 50-60% then hangs there for a bit then creeps down like it should. Best part is once you get near 5% it means 5%. All other monitors will hang at 5% for a few hrs. When this app says 5% it means it.

eddie3130
11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks man for the info on the app i installed it an it works surprisingly well.. ive had this battery for about a week and a half now an im loving the fact that i dont have to worry about running out of juice. After a day of moderate-heavy use i get about 15-16 hours, unplugged at 7am an dies around 10-11pm. Im running on Miui defx 10.21
The first few days battery was a bit bonkers but after a few days of completly draining it now its really performimg well. Best $30 bucks spent

Brad92
11-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I bought the eBay 3500 for $22 with an external charger. It works well after a few months still

X

jjbovenzi
12-13-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm curious about this prepping needed for these batteries. From what I can find it apprears that Li-Poly batteries do not require it like the old NiCad NiMh did. Is anyone getting good results with their 3500mAh battery without prepping it?

Myth 1: Rechargeable batteries needs priming (you need to charge X hours / overnight before you can use it for the first time)Fact 1: While some older rechargeable battery types like Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Nickel Metal Hydrate (NiMH) needs priming, Lithium-ions in general (including Li-ion Polymers) do not need priming. You can use them out of the box. In fact nowadays, some, if not most, NiCd and NiMH batteries comes factory primed, so you can also use and charge them as normal out of the box. Just to be safe, please do read the manual.