PDA

View Full Version : My Recipe for a Fast, Stable DX With Great Battery Life

WindyCity1014
03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
After a TON of trial-and-error over the past couple of weeks, I've arrived at what I believe are the best set up for a roooted Droid X (or at least for my particular phone). Because I've received so much info and help from this forum, I thought that I'd give back by posting the results of everything I've learned so far:

1. QuickClock Advanced to calibrate the CPU speed and voltage, set it on "Battery Saver" and "Set on Boot".

2. AutoKiller, set it on "Ultimate" (go ahead, don't be afraid).

3. Uninstall SetCPU if you have it (causes major instability when combined with QC), as well as any task killers.

4. Titanium BackUp Pro to freeze all bloatware.

5. App2SD to move apps to SD card.

6. QuickApp Cleaner, set it to clear cache and histories every 6 hours.

7. Ultimate JuiceDefender to limit background data checks to every 15 minutes (or longer), turn data off overnight, enable WiFi location function, configure apps and any other options you want.

8. Set screen brightness very low, at or just above minimum (don't worry, you can still see the screen just fine).

I realize that people have differing opinions on what works best, whether app killers are good or not, etc. All I wanted to do was to provide everyone with a summary of what works for me and to let you make your own choices.

For me, these steps have resulted in a very snappy phone (which can be made even faster if you change QC from "Battery Saver" to "Balanced" or "High Speed", although then you'll be sacraficing battery life) that is now totally stable with no crashes or reboots. As for battery life, my DX actually stayed at 100% for about an hour with light use this morning (it used to go to 90% after a few minutes) and is still showing 90% about 2 1/2 hours after I turned it on!

I hope some or all of this info proves to be useful to you guys. Let me know!

nmagnum
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I can't find the cache cleaner. Was it free or paid?

Sent from DROIDX while ruling the world from my toilet.

WindyCity1014
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I can't find the cache cleaner. Was it free or paid?

Sent from DROIDX while ruling the world from my toilet.

Sorry, it's called Quick App Clean Cache. I think it's free.

Gorgarath
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I really don't see much point in Apps2SD with the X. There's a lot of unused space on the X, plus anything that you want to use a widget for, needs to be internal or you get issues.
I've heard of a lot of people having conflicts between Juice Defender and e-mail.
As you mentioned, a lot of people recommend against task killers, and I've never tried one.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with what you got going, though I've not tried the cache cleaner.

drjimbeam
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I can only agree with 2 things.. set to battery saver and turn screen down. Everything else runs in the background using memory and using battery. I beleive there are many posts that show putting apps on sd card really slows the system down, the only advantage to putting them on the sd card is to save space on the phone itself, well droid x has 8 gigs of internal I dont know about anyone else but I am using 1.8 gigs of my phone, that is apps, operating system. But to each his own.

Gorgarath
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
I can only agree with 2 things.. set to battery saver and turn screen down. Everything else runs in the background using memory and using battery. I beleive there are many posts that show putting apps on sd card really slows the system down, the only advantage to putting them on the sd card is to save space on the phone itself, well droid x has 8 gigs of internal I dont know about anyone else but I am using 1.8 gigs of my phone, that is apps, operating system. But to each his own.

TiBU doesn't run in the background and can be used to stop other things from running in the background... So I think you really agree with 3 of the things... :lol: :p

bill12690
03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Mine stays at 100% with light use for about 3-4 hours..I do hve an extended battery, but is it really THAT big of a difference?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

drjimbeam
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Well tibu causes other issues.. After installing a rom if u ever get fcs its more than likely tibu fault.. I use it to only back up data if angry birds, alchemy, handcent and forums app.. More times than not get fcs from those apps so have to uninstall those apps then reinstall with tibu then get updates for them.. Many ppl back up to many apps that don't really need backing up and they end up with many issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

the_Fiddler
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for sharing, WindyCity. Can you give a list of the bloatware you've frozen? I can't seem to find a good list, and at least one of the ones I've frozen makes the "syncing" icon get stuck in the status bar.

drjimbeam
03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html

WindyCity1014
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for sharing, WindyCity. Can you give a list of the bloatware you've frozen? I can't seem to find a good list, and at least one of the ones I've frozen makes the "syncing" icon get stuck in the status bar.

You know, I basically just did some online research and found a basic list (Amazon MP3, Kindle, Skype, News, etc.). I haven't checked but the link the previous poster gave you is probably as good as any. If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I'll check what I froze for you.

As for the App2SD thing, I really can't comment on that. I don't know whether it helps but I have a hard time believing that it's actually slowing the phone down.

Regarding AutoKiller, it's not a typical app killer. It actually used the DX's own memory management system and just ramps it up. All I know is that my phone flies and has great battery after installing it. In fact, there is no comparison to the way it was before. However, I did experience a couple of reboots late yesterday so I decided to scale it back from "Ultimate" to "Extreme" - no problems so far today.

SuperChargedJ
03-04-2011, 11:03 PM
You know, I basically just did some online research and found a basic list (Amazon MP3, Kindle, Skype, News, etc.). I haven't checked but the link the previous poster gave you is probably as good as any. If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I'll check what I froze for you.

As for the App2SD thing, I really can't comment on that. I don't know whether it helps but I have a hard time believing that it's actually slowing the phone down.

Regarding AutoKiller, it's not a typical app killer. It actually used the DX's own memory management system and just ramps it up. All I know is that my phone flies and has great battery after installing it. In fact, there is no comparison to the way it was before. However, I did experience a couple of reboots late yesterday so I decided to scale it back from "Ultimate" to "Extreme" - no problems so far today.

I experienced the same problem with setting Autokiller to Ultimate and Extreme works amazing. This is a great post and I thank the author for creating it. I understand about SetCpu conflicting with Quickclock but I love the presets when screen goes off, temperature rises, etc.

Posted via MTDX & Tapatalk

the_Fiddler
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I've got a bunch of stuff frozen in Titanium, I just can't figure out what's making the sync icon appear in the taskbar constantly. I installed several of those apps like you recommended, we'll see how the X runs now.

WindyCity1014
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Over the weekend I experienced a few random reboots, so I decided to scale back AutoKiller one more notch to "Aggressive" (82,90,98). Currently showing 84 MB of freee RAM, which I believe is more than enough. The phone is very snappy and I haven't had any more reboots since I made the change.

I'm also starting to see some major increases in battery life. I got over 24 hours yesterday on my extended battery with moderate usage. This is a HUGE improvement over the 8-10 hours max I was getting before I made all these changes.

turdbogls
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
task killers are going to burn your battery down faster....the apps that are "running" in the BG are not really running...they are frozen and not using any recources. RAM in android is not like RAM in windows. if you are killing apps, they just have to open back up, which uses more power than "un freezing" them. ditch the task killer.

i have had GREAT battery with just a couple tweaks.
Apex 1.4.1
auto brightness
frozen apps i dont need
no Live wallpapers
No task killers
use watchdog light....basically if there is an app that is actually running in the BG (tune in and power amp do this for sure) it alerts me and i can kill it.

other than that, i do nothing. i made 30 minutes worth of calls, 15 text messages, 10 emails, random web surfing, a 20 minute navigation trip and i had 40% battery after 14 hours of usage.

WindyCity1014
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
task killers are going to burn your battery down faster....the apps that are "running" in the BG are not really running...they are frozen and not using any recources. RAM in android is not like RAM in windows. if you are killing apps, they just have to open back up, which uses more power than "un freezing" them. ditch the task killer.

i have had GREAT battery with just a couple tweaks.
Apex 1.4.1
auto brightness
frozen apps i dont need
no Live wallpapers
No task killers
use watchdog light....basically if there is an app that is actually running in the BG (tune in and power amp do this for sure) it alerts me and i can kill it.

other than that, i do nothing. i made 30 minutes worth of calls, 15 text messages, 10 emails, random web surfing, a 20 minute navigation trip and i had 40% battery after 14 hours of usage.

Like I said in my original post, these tweaks work well for my on my device. I will tell you that AutoKiller is NOT like other task killers--it uses the DX's internal task killing function but just amps it up.