PDA

View Full Version : Flying toasters boot animation?

DesertRatBiggs
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Anybody know of one?

Yes I know it has to do with Apple. But it would be an awesome flashback to my childhood and early "Macintosh's"

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Gorgarath
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Anybody know of one?

Yes I know it has to do with Apple. But it would be an awesome flashback to my childhood and early "Macintosh's"

I'd imagine this wouldn't be too hard to make as I'm sure finding an animation of those should be easy enough, so I wouldn't have to make that from scratch. If you don't hear back from me in about 12 hours, send me a PM to remind me to make this. :lol:

DesertRatBiggs
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I'd imagine this wouldn't be too hard to make as I'm sure finding an animation of those should be easy enough, so I wouldn't have to make that from scratch. If you don't hear back from me in about 12 hours, send me a PM to remind me to make this. :lol:

Nice!! Many thanks in advance!!

Gorgarath
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Just a little update, I had some spare time and found an animated flying toaster and should easily be able to turn it into a boot animation. I would have slapped it together real quick except, all my tools for that are at home.

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I found the boot animation. Thank you for it Gorgarath.

If you don't mind I'm gonna try my hand at making another flying toasters animation. I had a different concept in mind (more like the actual screensaver, the toasters appearing, flying across the screen and of course disappearing) and I'd like to give it a go myself.

Should I be able to even accomplish such a feat, credit will be given to you for the first version.

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Hehe, I gotcha. Yeah, I didn't search too hard and happened to come across that image pretty quick. Really easy to convert a .gif into a boot animation, so I stopped there, I mostly wanted to do it for the sound I could add to it. :lol:

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Okay... I got all the animation done. However, when I put it all together in the zip file and load it on my phone, all I'm getting is a blank screen when it comes time for the animation to show up.

Obviously there is something I'm missing. Should I have compressed the zip? Some different values in the text file?

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
No, you don't compress the files in the zip. You add them without compression (store option or whatever your archiver calls it) and need the desc.txt in the root of the zip and then your directory/directories with the png's inside.

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok. I didn't compress it. So were good there.

What goes in the desc.txt file?

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Also... do they have to be png's? What about jpg's?

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 03:00 PM
As far as I'm aware, yes, they have to be pngs, though I've never tried with anything else. The original moto animations were pngs as all the others I've looked at when figuring out how to make these.

The desc.txt is like this:

width height framrate
a loops delay directoryso something like this

480 800 15
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1This would make a boot animation that is 480 pixels wide, 800 pixels tall and tries to play at a framerate of 15 frames per second. It then plays the files in the part0 directory sequentially one time and then plays all the files in the part1 directory sequentially, looping until your phone finishes booting. (0 = infinite loop)

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Alright then thats my next step. I'll try png's. Ive tried gif's and jpg's with no luck.

And my desc file seems to be in good order... unless the png's dont work either.

Either way... thanks for your help. If I get this working it'd be a nice one to add to your "List of custom boot animations and logos."

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Hehe, when you get it made, add it to the OP and I'll link to it. And if your desc file is in good order, using PNGs should work.

Or start a new thread, your choice.

DesertRatBiggs
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Okay... I messed around with the desc.txt file a bit and got png's and jpg's to work. However, not the actual animation i had done but a split second blip of toasters on my phone. So im wondering if there is something wrong with my animation.

Zip file isnt compressed. Messed around with frame rates a bit with no noticeable effect. Took another already working boot animation and tried re-zipping it on my end and it worked fine so its not a problem with my zipper.

So yeah... im gonna take a break away from it for awhile. Then I'll keep tweaking some more and see if I can get it to work.

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Okay... I messed around with the desc.txt file a bit and got png's and jpg's to work. However, not the actual animation i had done but a split second blip of toasters on my phone. So im wondering if there is something wrong with my animation.

Zip file isnt compressed. Messed around with frame rates a bit with no noticeable effect. Took another already working boot animation and tried re-zipping it on my end and it worked fine so its not a problem with my zipper.

So yeah... im gonna take a break away from it for awhile. Then I'll keep tweaking some more and see if I can get it to work.
I made a mistake when posting my code above. I corrected it now. That might have been an issue. Also, make sure you have at least one blank line at the end of your desc.txt.

BenBrown
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
What goes in the desc.txt file?

Example of the desc.txt

480 480 30 1st two numbers are the resolution of the pics used or what you want them to play @ 3rd number is the frame rate

p 1 0 part0 the number one in this line represents how many times the animation in the folder "part0" is played..."0" for repeat
s filename.mp3 if the boot animation has sound this line is used... "s" followed by a space then the file's name.....that file goes to /system/media/ This line is left out if no sound is used.

p 0 0 part1 the second folder is usually what part of the animation is repeated...notice the "0" where the "1" is in line 2

On animations that are repeated totally, all the pics can be in one folder.
An example of that would be:
480 480 30
p 0 0 foldername

If you only wanted it to play once and stop it would look like this:
480 480 30
p 1 0 foldername

The folders can be named anything really but the desc.txt must reflect that. Hope this helps :)

Gorgarath
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
On animations that are repeated totally, all the pics can be in one folder.
An example of that would be:
480 480 30
p 1 0 foldername

If you only wanted it to play once and stop it would look like this:
480 480 30
p 0 0 foldername
You got those 2 backwards, the first example will only play once while the second example will loop endlessly.

BenBrown
03-05-2011, 05:13 AM
No they do not have to be .png
jpg works well...specially when you have many pics in your animation. It makes for a much smaller zip file.