PDA

View Full Version : [EASY HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Any ROM

C Dippa
03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey everybody...I found an easy method to switch to the vanilla android boot animation, so I decided to throw together a quick guide.

You know this animation if you ran Apex 1.3...it simply displays "android" and the light reflects across it. See pic below if you haven't seen it before...it's actually my personal favorite due to its simplicity.

UPDATE (3/17): USE THIS NEW UNIVERSAL METHOD (Old methods remain below for reference)

Universal Method (use this):

Download bootanimation from this link: (credit: Gorgarath for creating a flashable zip and uploading...big thanks)
Default Android Boot Animation (http://www.mediafire.com/?msj73x442dp9xgg)

Flash via bootstrap:

Select "Install zip from sd card"
Find "DefaultAndroid-bootanimation.zip" (most likely in "Download" folder")
Install zip
Reboot system now
Enjoy!

Old Method #1:

Old Method #1 only works on ROMs where there is a bootanimation.zip in system/media. Check system/media in root explorer. If it's not there, use method #2 below.

Advanced User Instructions:

Remove bootanimation.zip from "system/media/" and it will default to vanilla android boot animation. I suggest moving bootanimation.zip to your SD card so that you have a backup of your current animation.

To restore old animation, move bootanimation.zip from sd card back to "system/media".

That's it, in a nutshell...read complete instructions below if you need them.

Instructions:

REQUIRED: Root Explorer ($2 in market, very useful app)
Must Be Rooted

- Open Root Explorer
- Navigate to "system"
- Navigate to "media"
- Long press "bootanimation.zip"
- Select Move
- Press back button twice
- Navigate to "sdcard"
- Press Paste

And that's it...now you have the vanilla android boot animation and a backup of your old boot animation on your sd card. Reboot and test it out!

To restore your old boot animation:

- Open Root Explorer
- Navigate to "sdcard"
- Long Press bootanimation.zip
- Select Move
- Press Back button once
- Navigate to "System"
- Navigate to "Media"
- Select Paste

...and you've got your old animation back.

Old Method #2 (thanks to macpro88):

-Delete the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ (if you're on Liberty 1.5 or ApeX 1.4.X)

-Install the bootanimation.zip downloaded from Fission Rom Manager Lite in bootstrap
- Use the app to download the bootanimation.zip, boot into bootstrap.
- Recommended: Make a backup before flashing
- In bootstrap, choose zip to install, navigate to /sdcard/Fission/Add_Ons

If this does not show the boot animation and just a black screen, using Root Explorer, make sure that there is only one bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ and make sure there is NO bootanimation.zip in /data/local/. Also make sure permissions are rw-r--r--.

Post any feedback or questions that you have...enjoy!

Gorgarath
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
In ApeX 1.4.1, the bootanimation.zip is located in /data/local instead of /system/media. I also tried removing the bootanimation.zip on my ApeX 1.4.1 install and got a blank screen instead of the default.

(On a side note, if you place a bootanimation.zip in /data/local it will over-ride any boot animation in /system/media.)

C Dippa
03-02-2011, 11:27 PM
In ApeX 1.4.1, the bootanimation.zip is located in /data/local instead of /system/media. I also tried removing the bootanimation.zip on my ApeX 1.4.1 install and got a blank screen instead of the default.

(On a side note, if you place a bootanimation.zip in /data/local it will over-ride any boot animation in /system/media.)

Thanks for trying it...I just updated my sig to say Apex 1.4.1, and after you mentioned it didn't work for you, I checked and I'm still on 1.4.0...oops. I did download 1.4.1 to load and picked through it, and sure enough, Fab moved it to data/local in 1.4.1.

It works on Apex 1.4.0, and it also works on my Nook Color running a Froyo ROM, so I guess I jumped the gun on assuming it would work for all.

Updated OP to state that this would only work if your ROM is running the bootanimation.zip from system/media. Make a backup first if you're really paranoid, but you should just be able to replace the bootanimation.zip if you run into problems.

Edit: Oh, and mods, how can I change the title to not say "on any ROM"?

Gorgarath
03-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for trying it...I just updated my sig to say Apex 1.4.1, and after you mentioned it didn't work for you, I checked and I'm still on 1.4.0...oops. I did download 1.4.1 to load and picked through it, and sure enough, Fab moved it to data/local in 1.4.1.

Hehe, I had tried almost everything I could think of, but couldn't come up with a solution, saw your post and thought, sweet, don't need to try anything else. But yeah, I already knew your steps didn't work on 1.4.1 since I had already tried it. Fab seems to have modified something or didn't include something that left this backup boot animation available. (I thought I had something, but just looked and it's not it.)

It works on Apex 1.4.0, and it also works on my Nook Color running a Froyo ROM, so I guess I jumped the gun on assuming it would work for all.

It most likely should work, but for some reason, it doesn't on ApeX 1.4.1, I'll do some digging and see if I can't find out why or if any other ROMs have this issue.

Updated OP to state that this would only work if your ROM is running the bootanimation.zip from system/media. Make a backup first if you're really paranoid, but you should just be able to replace the bootanimation.zip if you run into problems.

It should work on ROMs that use /data/local or /system/media (or apparently as in the apparent case of Liberty, or so I've been told, both locations) as long as you remove it from both. From what I think I've worked out, the phone searches for a boot animation in this order, /data/local/bootanimation.zip > /system/media/bootanimation.zip > default Android boot animation.

Edit: Oh, and mods, how can I change the title to not say "on any ROM"?

You can't change the name of a thread as it will mess up the links. You can get the thread merged with another with the title you want, but hopefully we'll figure out why it isn't working and come up with a fix so that your thread title will be correct.

EDIT: Oh, and Root Explorer isn't strictly required. Root access is required and you could use the terminal or ADB to remove bootanimation.zip, but Root Explorer is certainly easier than that for most people.

macpro88
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
In Liberty 1.5 the boot animation is also in /data/local/.

I love this boot animation because of its simplicity, do you have a link you can provide in the OP to get this animation? I can never find it...

C Dippa
03-07-2011, 09:39 PM
In Liberty 1.5 the boot animation is also in /data/local/.

I love this boot animation because of its simplicity, do you have a link you can provide in the OP to get this animation? I can never find it...

Actually, thinking about it...when I first loaded Liberty, I downloaded the animation from Fission Rom Manager, and flashed using Clockworkmod. It's located in the "Fission" folder.

I got Fission Rom Manager from Wug's thread with the different colored markets:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/15755-black-dark-red-emerald-dark-blue-android-market.html

And the animation is called "BootAnimation: Android"

This should work on the ROMs that load boot animation from data/local...make a backup first!

macpro88
03-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Actually, thinking about it...when I first loaded Liberty, I downloaded the animation from Fission Rom Manager, then found it in the "Fission" folder, renamed to bootanimation.zip, and then moved it into data/local.

I got Fission Rom Manager from Wug's thread with the different colored markets:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/15755-black-dark-red-emerald-dark-blue-android-market.html

And the animation is called "BootAnimation: Android"

This should work on the ROMs that load boot animation from data/local...

Sweet, thank you!

C Dippa
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Sweet, thank you!

Well, tested that and renaming to bootanimation.zip doesn't work...I realized those animations have to be flashed via CWM. They worked for me but may not work for you, so make a backup.

Updated instructions above your post...

macpro88
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, tested that and renaming to bootanimation.zip doesn't work...I realized those animations have to be flashed via CWM. They worked for me but may not work for you, so make a backup.

Updated instructions above your post...

Haha, I just tried this too, I even changed permissions, I guess I will try in CWM, I just got a black screen, no boot loop though, thank goodness...

macpro88
03-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok, so this is how I got it to work:

-Deleted the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ (if your on Liberty 1.5 or ApeX 1.4.X)

-Installed the bootanimation.zip downloaded from Fission Rom Manager Lite in bootstrap
--Use the app to download the bootanimation.zip, boot into boostrap.
--In bootstrap, choose zip to install, navigate to /sdcard/Fission/Add_Ons

If this does not show the boot animation and just a black screen, using Root Explorer, make sure that there is only one bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ and make sure there is NO bootanimation.zip in /data/local/. Also make sure permissions are rw-r--r--.

C Dippa
03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Haha, I just tried this too, I even changed permissions, I guess I will try in CWM, I just got a black screen, no boot loop though, thank goodness...

Sorry bout that...forgot exactly how I did it before apparently.

I apologize for my sloppiness in this thread. If anyone got messed up and needs some help, feel free to PM me or post up here.

Sent from my Nook Color CM7

C Dippa
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok, so this is how I got it to work:

-Deleted the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ (if your on Liberty 1.5 or ApeX 1.4.X)

-Installed the bootanimation.zip downloaded from Fission Rom Manager Lite in bootstrap
--Use the app to download the bootanimation.zip, boot into boostrap.
--In bootstrap, choose zip to install, navigate to /sdcard/Fission/Add_Ons

Very nice...will update instructions in OP with this

Thanks for testing it!

Sent from my Nook Color CM7

macpro88
03-08-2011, 12:00 AM
No problem!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Gorgarath
03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I think I'm going to tweak this slightly and upload a version that will flash into /data/local instead of /system/media just to avoid conflicts with forgetting to delete the bootanimation.zip in /data/local. On a side note, Root Explorer isn't required for method 1, it just makes it a heck of a lot easier than using ADB or the terminal. (I might also make a version with sound as I have an idea that would be kind of cool, but not sure I can find the sound I have in my head.)

Also, permissions on bootanimation.zip don't seem to really matter, I've never bothered setting them to 644 but kept them at the default when I pasted, 466 or 066 IIRC.

EDIT: Might be a while till I get this done though as my laptop is pretty much dead in the water, but I can make the /data/local mod easy enough without all the extra stuff on my laptop.

Gorgarath
03-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Default Android Boot Animation (http://www.mediafire.com/?msj73x442dp9xgg) that flashes into /data/local instead of /system/media.

C Dippa
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Default Android Boot Animation (http://www.mediafire.com/?msj73x442dp9xgg) that flashes into /data/local instead of /system/media.

Awesome...tested and works like a charm! If you don't mind, I will update the OP with this (with credit to you, good sir)

Thanks so much for throwing that together. Now we have a universal method :)

Gorgarath
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Hehe, I'm just glad macpro posted the original file so I could download it and edit it since I don't have the app to download it myself. I had been looking around for the animation for a while. I was going to rip it out of a fresh flash, but the different ROMs I tried didn't have an actual bootanimation.zip file and pulled from wherever it is hardcoded. Strange how ApeX 1.4.1 doesn't play it when you remove all bootanimation.zip files, but most other ROMs I understand do.

C Dippa
03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Updated OP with universal method....thanks again Gorgarath and Macpro

WugFresh
03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
legacy.bootanimation.zip (315.96 KB) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BHTN9C67)
I repackaged the the legacy android bootanimation.zip Gorgarath put together so that it first automatically deletes any bootanimation.zip's in /data/local and /system/media if they are present.

{{ WugFresh }}

Gorgarath
03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
legacy.bootanimation.zip (315.96 KB) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BHTN9C67)
I repackaged the the legacy android bootanimation.zip Gorgarath put together so that it first automatically deletes any bootanimation.zip's in /data/local and /system/media if they are present.

{{ WugFresh }}

Kind of unnecessary as it will overwrite the one in /data/local if it is there, and if there is one in /system/media, putting one in /data/local overrides it.

--
Tapatalked from my X.

WugFresh
03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh. I had seen macpros post in the one stop thread and he said to delete stuff first. I didn't know it scanned data/local first.

{{ WugFresh }}

naidanirt
07-16-2011, 03:12 AM
does this work if your on LibertyGB v0.8 cause i found something in my bin folder called bootanimation, yet i cant the .zip file

mcevanlong
08-09-2014, 12:38 AM
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH i looked all over the internet for this