PDA

View Full Version : All-In-One POST ROOT Thread

Abe21599
03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the Post-Root Thread. Just rooted and don't know what you can do now? Well heres a big list of many things you can do. Root opens up a whole new world of possibilities but BE WARNED: I nor DroidXForums is responsible for what you do to your phone. Please be familiar with the SBF method (guide here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html)) so if something does happen, you can fix it in a swift manner.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH:

PLEASE READ (and reread)! you are hacking your phone! this is not something you should just jump right into! take your time to get it right the first time -- itll be worth it!

FOLLOW ALL GIVEN DIRECTIONS! there there for a reason -- to make your life easier (and mine)

IF YOU'RE UNSURE, ASK! that's what the forums is for! dont hesitate to seek assistance.

now, on with the options...

Things possible with root:

unroot (just kidding)

but seriously if you have to take it back to VZW for whatever reason, you need to do this. Z4root has an unroot option in the app once it detects root permissions.
NOTE: just because you unroot with an unroot app or a terminal emulator DOES NOT mean it will remove things you did when rooted. you need to backtrack your steps to remove/undo what you did (e.g. not changing the boot animation back will be a dead give away you were rooted. you have been warned).

take advantage of root-only apps

There are many root apps that need special permission to run. I will only cover a few that I feel are more popluar, but doing a market search of root will give u more options

-Titanium backup: Such a necessity when it comes to root. It can backup user apps + DATA (can't without root) and make switching ROMs a breeze. It has many other functions like "freezing" apps (deleting the app from the system but keeping it in place to easily restore, or "defrost"), sync to Dropbox (cloud), Batch operations, + schedules for running operations.
*Should be noted Mybackup Pro does have root features too and does backup data (with root) but TiBu IMO has much more features.
-ShootMe/Drocap2: Two popular screen capture apps that basically do that. each have their own options. but the main thing is taking screen shots (which root is needed for) and sharing.
Wireless Tether/Barnicle: Covered Below
Droid X Bootstrap: A necessary tool when it comes to nandroids/ROMs/clockwork. ROM manager (for those who had droid 1's) doesn't work by itself because of the locked bootloader so you need this. It will hijack the boot process to get you into Clockwork for all of your romming/theming needs.
QuickClock/Droid Overclock: Covered Below
Adfree: self explainatory. Root, run this app, install hosts, and you're free of advertisements (for the most part)
Ninjamorph: Covered Below
Root Explorer: A simple filemanager with root properties. Allows u to mount R/W (read-writable, not read only) in other locations beside the SDcard. What does this mean? Well, with this, you can move files around on the phone as you wish. Be careful with what you are doing because deleting/modifying the wrong file can cause disaster!

modify system framework

basically with root and this app, youre able to unpack files (on the phone), modify what's inside, and repack/apply them within the Ninjamorph app. Good for changing system images or creating your own custom theme. Heres a guide in a bit more detail: [How To] use Ninjamorph to change notification bar icons (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/12641-how-use-ninjamorph-change-notification-bar-icons.html)

Delete stock applications

with root, you have access to the location of stock apps so you can remove what you don't want running on your phone and clogging up your app drawer. More info here: Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html)

Configure sysctl.conf file

This file is used to change kernel parameters. Jrummy has an app on the market to provide a UI for modification of this file. Heres a thread dedicated to maximizing this function: [Tutorial] ROMs & Sysctl.conf & other tweaks! (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/19145-tutorial-roms-sysctl-conf-other-tweaks.html)

change build.prop properties

a lot of properties lie within the /system/build.prop file. Things like modifying the call ring delay, proximity delay, LCD density (like resolution), Wifi scan time, and many others can be done by changing a few numbers in this file. Can be done by pulling it and editing it with a txt editor or with Root Explorer right on the phone. More information can be found here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ll-market.html (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/77230-build-prop-edits-great-battery-life-fast-phone-full-market.html)

boot animation/boot logo

There are a lot of apps that offer an easy way to do this. Jrummy's app will do this for you. Just for clarification, boot logo = stock M (first thing you see when you turn your phone) and boot animation is the red eye. There's manual ways to change this, also, but I won't get into that.

ROM

Changing the whole phone's base. Devs modify the stock OS to run more efficiently. More than a theme. There's not too much to say about ROMS so just check out the ROM section on here to get the latest works. Check out this post to learn how to install (and read the thread for that specific ROM for specifics!!!):[How To] Be Ready For Anything (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/15140-how-ready-anything.html#post148532)

Back to stock (maderstcok)

Maderschramm has complied an update.zip file that is applied in clockwork that is similar to flashing the 2.3.340 sbf. simpler to use than messing with RSDlite. More info: maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html)

Theme

Changing the look and color of your phone. Can be done with or without ROMS BUT only use themes that apply to what youre working with (e.g. a rubix theme while running a non-rubix ROM will cause problems. Don't do it)

Tether

Wireless Tether & Barnicle are two market apps that will allow you to use your 3G signal to tether (hook up to use the internet) other devices. Be warned this is against verizon's TOS.

Nandroid Backups

Similar to a system restore point on windows, creating a nandroid backup in Clockwork will backup everything into one .zip file that can be saved for future use. Good as a starting point (right after root; no modifications) so if something does happen, and worst comes to worst you have to SBF, you can just reroot and install the nandroid in clockwork. Also good if your a ROM addict and switch them more than you switch your underwear.

Overclock

These two apps allow you to change the speed the processor runs at by executing scripts.
Overclocking will give you better phone speed.
Undervolting will give you better battery life.
Since all processors work a bit different, its nice to just play around with the apps (DO NOT set at boot until stable speeds/voltages are found) to find workable configurations.

Undervolt

Turning down the speed/lowering the voltages that is required to run the processor. Overclock apps will allow you to do this. Quickclock will help you find proper VSELs for your phone.

if you have any suggestions please list them and ill include what i see fit.

As always, if you have a question, feel free to ask :)

Abe21599
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
reserved..

Droid-Xer
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Most excellent!

1KDS
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Very nice Abe, will be linking often

mikeinrichmond
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Good job..This will be my default "Here is the info you need" link when they ask the "What now?" or "Why root?" questions.. :big smile:

Abe21599
03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
thanks guys. feel free to mention anything and ill add it :)

macpro88
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Great job Abe, this is awesome, thank you!

Dustin0308
03-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice work..now I don't have to post multiple links lol

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

rogcontact
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
You may also want to mention MyBackup Root, a free backup application that will do a BATCH RESTORE of your APK+DATA+Market Links, as well as scheduled backups. ALL FREE!

psychotic_penguin
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice job Abe

KStylez
03-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Just wanted to say thanks. I'm quite the noob when it comes to this stuff but I have already rooted/rom'd/made backups/and loving how much faster liberty is on my phone, all because of the support and info shared by everyone. You all are genius!

Abe21599
03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Glad I could help. Im gonna add a few more apps to the list later today.

Sent from my DROIDX

macpro88
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Sweet, just noticed my thread on sysctl made the cut :excited: lol I am honored haha.

Again, great write up Abe

VivaLaPrimo
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
The application Root Tools has a great UI and lets a new rooted user have an easy way to use their new capabilities. I have found for Droid X, Wireless Tether for Root Users is a smoother app then Barnacle Tether.... Droid Overclock has one of the best UI's on an Android app ive seen, i highly advise it.

Abe21599
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
added a little note at the top. dont know why i didnt when i made it...

macpro88
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
added a little note at the top. dont know why i didnt when i made it...

Nice addition. Always need those little disclaimers for those who dont read lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Abe21599
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
ehh while it may be my guide, its their phone so if they really dont wanna read i cant do anything but say "i told u so" lol

macpro88
03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
ehh while it may be my guide, its their phone so if they really dont wanna read i cant do anything but say "i told u so" lol

Vert true lol and since you told them, you get the privelage of saying so lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

DebianDog
03-13-2011, 04:14 PM
could put a link to a few videos :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

john219921
04-24-2011, 07:55 PM
is overclock free?

Abe21599
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
is overclock free?

depends how u want to overclock. theres a manual way that is but the apps save u a lot of time doing it.

RUSirius
05-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Tagged for reference.

DroidXXX
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Helpful so far. And that's just the first few lines

Cheers!

westy
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Fantastic Post!!!

Abe21599
05-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Fantastic Post!!!

glad its still of use :)

Steltron
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Could I used this rooting software on my droid 2 global, which was purchased earlier this year with this software? It looks like this software is a year old or so, I just don't know if anything has changed...

macpro88
06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Could I used this rooting software on my droid 2 global, which was purchased earlier this year with this software? It looks like this software is a year old or so, I just don't know if anything has changed...

The Droid 2 Global may have the same operating system, but the system version are completely different. You can try using z4root to root the phone, but I am not 100% sure if it will work or not.

westy
06-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Steltron, I used z4root on my wife's D2G, it worked like a charm and I also picked up Droid 2 bootstrapper. A word of caution if you plan to change out the rom... make sure the rom is for D2G and not just for D2! The radios are completely different.

macpro88
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Steltron, I used z4root on my wife's D2G, it worked like a charm and I also picked up Droid 2 bootstrapper. A word of caution if you plan to change out the rom... make sure the rom is for D2G and not just for D2! The radios are completely different.

+1, I have heard some bad things about people making this mistake, please use caution!

heyandy889
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh, hell yes. :starstruck: Great, great thread. Great work. I'm sure this is the culmination of a lot of effort by the original poster, in addition to hours of effort by those to whom he linked.

Awesome. I am down with flashing, in addition to rooting for Wireless Tether and to remove bloatware. I have heard about ROMs, although it seems a bit too permanent. My parents are financing my phone, so I want to proceed slowly and surely so that however I screw up my phone, it can be un-screwed up.

I was unaware of "modifying the system framework," configuring the sysctl.conf file, and changing the build.prop properties. Thank you for the credible reading material.

This is really how progress develops. Verizon, Motorola, HTC, and the rest aren't supporting these unofficial modifications. If we want to take control of our phones and rock out with Android and the ideals of open source and free software, then forums and support threads are essential.

Abe21599
06-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Oh, hell yes. :starstruck: Great, great thread. Great work. I'm sure this is the culmination of a lot of effort by the original poster, in addition to hours of effort by those to whom he linked.

Awesome. I am down with flashing, in addition to rooting for Wireless Tether and to remove bloatware. I have heard about ROMs, although it seems a bit too permanent. My parents are financing my phone, so I want to proceed slowly and surely so that however I screw up my phone, it can be un-screwed up.

I was unaware of "modifying the system framework," configuring the sysctl.conf file, and changing the build.prop properties. Thank you for the credible reading material.

This is really how progress develops. Verizon, Motorola, HTC, and the rest aren't supporting these unofficial modifications. If we want to take control of our phones and rock out with Android and the ideals of open source and free software, then forums and support threads are essential.

glad you made use of it. i have a few other useful threads (not to toot my own horn lol) if u take a look at all of my thread posts ull probably see which ones are the ones im referrring to

Steltron
06-08-2011, 02:12 PM

I have tried using z4 to root, but I have been using the temporary root option. The first time, the phone froze, and I thought I had bricked it. the second time, nothing really happened, it just said that it was running a program to "gain root access." In ohter words, I've yet to root it. You must have done the permanent root? I am just nervous that I will not be able to revert the process in case anything goes wrong. P.s. what is a bootstrapper, and where could i get one?

westy
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
[...]You must have done the permanent root? I am just nervous that I will not be able to revert the process in case anything goes wrong. P.s. what is a bootstrapper, and where could i get one?Yes, I did the permanent root. I see that there's something else built into the app that allows you to "undo" root... but not sure if this works as I haven't tested it. I was nervous also, because if it's my phone that's messed up... I have a high tolerance for bugs... but if it's her phone, I might as well pick a cozy spot on the couch! (Not really, but not worth testing her tolerance) :)

The boostrapper is key for these phones as the ability to get into Clockwork Mod (CWM) to make backups, restore backups, etc... doesn't seem possible without modifying the bootloader. The stock bootloader comes locked down and thus we have to use the workaround. Droid 2 and Droid X Recovery Bootstrap can be found in the market and is well worth the $2.99!! These guys that make rooting possible and build these ROMs deserve a little kickback from us :)

heyandy889
06-09-2011, 02:23 PM
So, here's a question. What exactly is a "nandroid backup?" Is it any different than backing up and restoring with the paid version of Titanium Backup?

1KDS
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes it is. A nandroid is the type of backup you make with bootstrap/clockwork, it is an total image of your current set up.

frankcase18
06-09-2011, 08:36 PM
if any one figures out how to root the newest update for the dx i think its 4.5.596 can you share how to? cuz ive been at this for like 2 days now and so far nothing is working i have tried z4root, gingerbreak and things like that and none of them are working and its annoying i just got my droid and my friend set it up for me and he updated it... which i wish he didn't because i have been told that this update has no root yet.. and again thanks to anyone who can help me!

fnmetal
06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
if any one figures out how to root the newest update for the dx i think its 4.5.596 can you share how to? cuz ive been at this for like 2 days now and so far nothing is working i have tried z4root, gingerbreak and things like that and none of them are working and its annoying i just got my droid and my friend set it up for me and he updated it... which i wish he didn't because i have been told that this update has no root yet.. and again thanks to anyone who can help me!
As of now.. the only thing you can do if you want root is to sbf the phone back to froyo. And install the prerooted gingerbread from tbh.
Or you might be waiting a while for someone to root the ota.

jtdiddy
06-09-2011, 08:46 PM
same for me. I just updated to GB but can't root through zroot4 (v.1.3).

It just goes on and on trying to install the exploit and after about 5 minutes, my phone completely freezes.

Any advice? Thx

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jtdiddy
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
As of now.. the only thing you can do if you want root is to sbf the phone back to froyo. And install the prerooted gingerbread from tbh.
Or you might be waiting a while for someone to root the ota.

Ok, so this answers my issue I guess...so there is currently no jailbreak for the GB ota?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk- Rooted 2.2.1Froyo, Overclocked @ 1.30hz

1KDS
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Nope, not yet

frankcase18
06-10-2011, 01:20 AM
how do i do that stuff? if you can, can you just email me the details on how to do that cuz this is my second android and my first one i didnt root cuz it was the ****ty garminfone by tmobile. so it would help me alot if you could do that. thanks

[Mod edit. Please do not post your email address on the forum. If members wish to help you they can PM you]

macpro88
06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
how do i do that stuff? if you can, can you just email me the details on how to do that cuz this is my second android and my first one i didnt root cuz it was the ****ty garminfone by tmobile. so it would help me alot if you could do that. thanks

What stuff are trying to do? There are plenty of threads here at this forum that instruct step by step on how to do ANYTHING you wish with your phone. Just need to take the time to search and browse the forums and then read those appropriate threads. If you are looking for the rooted version of Gingerbread, the link is in my signature below. To make the forum browsing and reading easier, I would suggest using your computer.

MicroDOC
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
I've upgraded to 4.5.573 using dxgbrooting.zip. Is there a way to go to 4.5.596 and still be rooted? What's the difference between those two versions?

Thanx, Ron...

macpro88
06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I've upgraded to 4.5.573 using dxgbrooting.zip. Is there a way to go to 4.5.596 and still be rooted? What's the difference between those two versions?

Thanx, Ron...

The Gingerbread link in my sig will give you the latest scoop on the new Gingerbread, including maintaining root!

Zoandroid
11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I know things sometimes change over time, and older forum posts do not always get updated. So I wanted to check before following the advice at the top of this thread. I need to get VZW to replace a Droid X which was just rooted on Oct 23rd using Droid 3 Easy Root. After that we installed Droid 2 Bootstrapper. The problem with the phone is that it worked OK up until the recent DST time change, and since then it will not reliably sound daily repeating calender reminder alarms. For the most part it treats the alarms like they don't exist. I have another phone also tied to the same Google account and calendar, and it sounds the alarms just fine. I even completely deleted all my alarms back through time in the online Google Calendar and then recreated new ones, thinking that might help, but it didn't. So I want to call and ask them to exchange the phone.

I'd like to undo the above and leave no trace behind. Currently the Droid X shows System Version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US and Android version 2.3.3

What is my best course of action to do this?

jwalz
11-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Have you tried clearing data in the g calendar through settings/applications/ manage applications find g calendar and clear data?

Zoandroid
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
No, I had not thought of that. I'll give it a try. I see:

Calendar
Calendar Service
Calendar Storage
Google Calendar Sync

Which one (or more) should I try? I did try it with "Calendar" at some point in my 2 days of trying to get this working again. But I had not thought to look for something with the Google name on it.

I just tried the "Google Calendar Sync" one, then went into the stock Android calendar, unchecked my 2 calendars (one with my google email address and another I use) and tapped OK. Then I re-checked them and tapped OK again. The phone synced up with Google and re-loaded the reminders. The next one should fire in 40 minutes, if it is going to work. So far only one alarm has sounded today on the DX, and that one was over half an hour late. My other phone has sounded all 5 of the ones which have passed so far today.

Zoandroid
11-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I got one alarm to sound and display on the DX and the Ally (my other phone) right after I did the above. There was supposed to be another alarm 15 minutes later. It did fine on the Ally. Stoney silence from the DX. So I went in and cleared the data on every one of the above list which would allow me to do so. The next alarm is in 70 minutes. If that one also is a dud, I think the DX has some problems.

Could there be any reason for these problems because of having the same Google account tied to two phones at the same time (both being operational)?

Zoandroid
11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
After having worked flawlessly all day, my Ally smartphone AND the Droid X BOTH missed the 9:00 daily repeating alarm. :mad2:I don't think it is in the Droid X hardware, then. Something is wrong with the Google calendar. But I have no idea what. Has anyone else experienced any sort of problem with their Google calendar since October?

Zoandroid
11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
One of my preferred calendar apps is PimlicalA. It has the ability to run a calendar solely within the smartphone, not synced to Google in any way. So I decided to set it up that way as a test starting last night. So far today every daily repeating alarm had reliably sounded up until 9:00PM. Then it started missing alarms again. This is getting frustrating. I don't know whether to think it might be hardware related or not.

Zoandroid
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I did some very interesting research last night, Googling "Android Calendar Alarms Fail". What I learned is that when Motorola sent the Gingerbread OTA to the Droid X, it essentially screwed up a TON of people's phones. There were over a million hits from Google on those search terms. The first few took me to Motorola owner forums and Verizon forums where I read no end of reports of the exact same problems I am having, and no solution in sight.

One member on another forum said he downgraded back to Froyo and it stopped the problem. So, that is what I would like to try next.

Can someone point me to where I need to read on how to do that? I've seen lots of info on SBFing, but I want to make sure I don't end right back up with Gingerbread again. I want to stop at Froyo and somehow block any further OTAs until I read that Motorola has fixed this ( not holding my breath ).

Edit on 1/9/2012 -- Having never received an answer to this post, I looked for help elsewhere and eventually learned that flashing Cyanogen Mod 7 on rooted Gingerbread 4.650 FIXES the alarm-not-sounding problem Motorola stuck us with. So I am happily doing that ever since.

aknox077
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm glad I found this thread before making a new one.
Really helpful list of apps here.
Question, is the paid pro-key for titanium necessary or will the free version suffice?
*** Edit ***
Rooted w/ Pete's Root Program
Downloaded Titanium Backup(free) and it doesn't recognize my phone as rooted/won't open.

Leach19m
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm glad I found this thread before making a new one.
Really helpful list of apps here.
Question, is the paid pro-key for titanium necessary or will the free version suffice?

It's not needed, but worth it of you do a lot of flashing. Without the key you have to click confirm to install every single app you're restoring; with it, you push go once and it takes care of the rest.

dtroup64
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Try reloading the app. Sometimes it doesn't wait for you to give allow Superuser on it.

aknox077
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep. Didn't notice the counter on the first screen. Reloaded and I'm in. Thanks.

Zoandroid
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Another advantage to the pro version of TIBU is that you can choose to save more than one set of backups. The free version won't let you do that.

1KDS
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
You can also batch restore with the pro key.

aknox077
01-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I paid for the pro-key(worth it). I'm struggling. to get the hang of it. I'm not super-familiar with all the terminology just yet(frozen vs. uninstall, batch operations, etc).
What exactly am I "backing-up"?
Am I mistaken or should this program back-up(flash an image of) all programs on my phone in case I need to unroot and go back to stock?

DirtyDroid
01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Titanium will back up all your apps...like leach said it's nice if you flash roms it makes it that much easier...you only want to backup apps only with this....for the system that's where bootstrap and clockwork come in to play...

Zoandroid
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I paid for the pro-key(worth it). I'm struggling. to get the hang of it. I'm not super-familiar with all the terminology just yet(frozen vs. uninstall, batch operations, etc).
What exactly am I "backing-up"?
Am I mistaken or should this program back-up(flash an image of) all programs on my phone in case I need to unroot and go back to stock?

TIBU can be a little confusing at first, but once you use it a couple times it is much easier. This should answer your questions.

HomePage (http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php)

aknox077
01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
This is all super helpful. Just did a complete backup and I should be ready for my first ROM.
I recall seeing something about deodexing my phone. I don't know if the root program I used did that. How do I check?

aknox077
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Anyone have anything to say regarding AppBrain vs. Titanium?

popcenator
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
What are you wondering exactly?

Zoandroid
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
This is all super helpful. Just did a complete backup and I should be ready for my first ROM.
I recall seeing something about deodexing my phone. I don't know if the root program I used did that. How do I check?

Since I am not all that familiar with the term deodexing myself, I looked for a good explanation of it, and found this:

What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide] (http://addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/)

cory46
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Rooting won't deodex your system. Only way to do that is to
A: do it yourself
B: Rom you loaded is deodexed
C: flash in clockwork a deodexed zip
D: you used a program that says deodex haha ;)

aknox077
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Since I am not all that familiar with the term deodexing myself, I looked for a good explanation of it, and found this:

What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide] (http://addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/)

Ha, good call. I should google things myself more often.

aknox077
01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
What are you wondering exactly?
I didn't have a specific question ready. Appbrain was suggested as an alternate backup tool and supposedly better/easier than Titanium. I haven't had any trouble with Titanium yet but it seems like there's a learning curve.
I'm still just treading water with the whole rooting thing. I haven't even installed a new ROM yet.

aknox077
01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Rooting won't deodex your system. Only way to do that is to
A: do it yourself
B: Rom you loaded is deodexed
C: flash in clockwork a deodexed zip
D: you used a program that says deodex haha ;)

That makes sense. I'll read up on deodex. Thanks.