PDA

View Full Version : Will we lose ability to root?

HarleyDude
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I posted this at the end of a thread on malware, wanted it to get more exposure.
According to Android central, the root exploit goes away in Android 2.2.2, and 2.3

"...this exploit has been patched by Google. Starting with 2.2.2, AOSP has been fixed to halt this exploit, and with Gingerbread it no longer works at all."
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-pulls-market-apps-root-exploit-one-patched-aosp-you-probably-didnt-get-it

kmudd3
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah...this article is a little confusing to me. I think it just means that in 2.2.2 and 2.3 that the ability for developers to create apps that root your phone without your knowledge has been patched. I'm thinking the ability to root is still there...especially with all the brilliant developers out there.

macpro88
03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Where there is a will there is a way, hackers will always find a way in!

This is why there are always viruses for computers when the operating system has been out for years and yet hackers have found there way in no matter how many Virus Protection Definitions are out there.

They can only make it harder for us, but it will be done eventually...

The new Blur 3.4.2 for example, took a while for root, but who ever created super one click root was obviously able to do it ;)

jmartinez748
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm with mac pro I came from Iphone and with every update it broke jailbreak and patched the previous exploit used but after every update came a new way to jail break

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

skennelly
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't think 3.4.2 had been rooted. Last I heard anyone that was on that GB leak from p3droid would have to sbf back because it wasn't rootable. That's why only limited people have it, so they can help try getting root.

fersayken2
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Oh they have root....they are still working kinks out though...they made the sbf into a zip so flashing back is no problem....also x bootstrap doesn't work on 3.4.2...have to use droid 2 bootstrap.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

macpro88
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, check out the Blur 3.4.2 thread in the hacks section, its been rooted, and its almost the official new Blur version from moto too, but yeah, there will always be a hack for EVERYTHING! It just make take some time ;)

Droid-Xer
03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
The super one click root method was an old method to root. based off of these root methods like super one click and root my x2 is how the one click apps were compiled. It is a major deal that the exploit has been removed. This is why p3droid hasn't released gingy . Its not rootable.

macpro88
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
The super one click root method was an old method to root. based off of these root methods like super one click and root my x2 is how the one click apps were compiled. It is a major deal that the exploit has been removed. This is why p3droid hasn't released gingy . Its not rootable.

Huh, didnt know superoneclick was that old, I have used root my x2 but since z4root... p3 hasnt had much time with gingy though have they? I am sure they will find a way.

If the Xoom bootloader can be unlocked and Honeycomb can be rooted, I don't see why Gingerbread can't.... I guess we just need time

Droid-Xer
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Xoom is a Google experience device meaning it has to be open like the nexus phone. Motorola had no say so which is why there's no blur skin. Its 100% Google yumminess.

macpro88
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Xoom is a Google experience device meaning it has to be open like the nexus phone. Motorola had no say so which is why there's no blur skin. Its 100% Google yumminess.

All the better reason to choose Xoom over iPad 2 :D

I can't wait for the Wi-Fi only version :D

Droid-Xer
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
This is true