PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Droid X Overclock

Dr. Taco
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Can somebody give me the complete rundown on how to overclock a Droid X using JRummy's Droid X Overclock app? I've Googled it already and have looked on this forum with the search function, I can't find anything that's detailed enough.

I thought I had an understanding on how it worked, but I was sadly mistaken. I only succeeded in making my phone so slow that it became unusable. Only by a stroke of luck did I manage to navigate to Bootstrap and get into recovery to restore it.

I am not trying this again without some help from you guys, I'm too afraid.

I want my phone to be overclocked to a point where it is noticeably faster but without going into the potentially unstable zone. I want it to be set so when it's idle, it is underclocked to conserve battery, and when I am using it, it runs on a higher speed then normal. This is what scaling does right? Or am I mistaken? Also how do profiles work with this app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.

noXcuse
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Using the Jrummy16 overclocking app takes alot of time and patience. You basically have to tinker with the voltage and speed, little by little, and find what is most stable. I would suggest you trying QuickClock. Here's a video tutorial from DabianDog, that he posted on YouTube. I'm sure if you searched within YouTube, you'd be able to find tutorials on the Jrummy app also.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/17164-video-overclocking-your-phone-using-quickclock-beginners-guide.html

Dr. Taco
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the video, I will consider that and Quick Clock if I can't find any videos for JRummy's app. Since I already payed for JRummy's app, I'm not just gonna give up on it because it's hard.

Anyone else know of any guides or videos for JRummy's app?

kymedic25
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the video, I will consider that and Quick Clock if I can't find any videos for JRummy's app. Since I already payed for JRummy's app, I'm not just gonna give up on it because it's hard.

Anyone else know of any guides or videos for JRummy's app?

You find anything yet Taco on JRummy's app?

Dr. Taco
03-15-2011, 09:45 AM
You find anything yet Taco on JRummy's app?

No actually, I haven't.

Apparently nobody knows how to use JRummy's overclock app.

I've found detailed information on every Droid X overclocker app except JRummy's Droid X Overclock. How to use his app is apparently a mystery to the entire internet...

xrazedx
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
No actually, I haven't.

I've found detailed information on every Droid X overclocker app except JRummy's Droid X Overclock. How to use his app is apparently a mystery to the entire internet...

Its not a mystery to me. What do you need help with exactly?

Relentless

demonhawk1313
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Overclocking with Droid Overclock will take time to get the clocks and voltages correct as noXcuse says. What worked for me was to use one on the preconfigured settings that are included in the app and then start adjusting the voltages down. I started with ultra low voltage at 1200Mhz. I then started to drop the top clock voltage one at a time. Just don't select apply at boot. This way if it locks up then it will revert back upon reboot. Once you have a good top clock you can move onto the lower clock speeds. I ended up using 59vsel at 1.15Ghz, 55vsel at 800, 48vsel at 600 and 22vsel at 300. These values work well for my cpu and may not be good for yours. I'm more concerned with battery life than blazing speed. These values are still a work in progress and will probably come down more. You can skip all the aggravation by simply using quick clock. It will do all this work for you. I may end up getting it myself. Hope this is helpful.

Gorgarath
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't gone in to manually tweak the VSEL values QuickClock generated, but on the High Speed profile, I'm currently running 1200 at 60 VSEL, 960 at 47 VSEL, 720 at 36 VSEL and 360 at 19 VSEL. (10% stability buffer)

This is my first day running on the High Speed profile but have run Battery Saver with 900 at 44 VSEL, 720 at 36 VSEL, 540 at 28 VSEL and 300 at 16 VSEL. (10% stability buffer)

I still think I can get better from the battery saver as well, but I've not tried manually setting those yet. Doing the calibration test, my phone would crash switching to 300 @ 14 VSEL and topped out at 1337MHz. (Quite the leet speed to top out at I suppose, but I'm more concerned with battery and at 900MHz, the phone is still pretty amazing.) I will probably go back to running stock speeds at lower voltages again (manually tweaking this time to get the lowest I can) after I finish playing with the different profiles.

Note: These settings work on my phone. Your phone is not my phone. Therefore, these settings may or may not work on your phone. These settings might not even work on my phone, as I just changed the High Speed profile to 10% stability buffer as I typed this up.

kymedic25
03-16-2011, 01:46 AM
No actually, I haven't.

I got an email back from JRummy and he said to see the help/about screen within his app.

Dr. Taco
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I've tried starting small with JRummy's app, It just freezes my phone up. I have no idea why. I do what everyone says and every time I apply a setting my phone becomes a sloth. So I've pretty much just given up on it and overclocking for now...

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sick of the nightmare that comes along with getting my phones settings back to normal when its unnavigable.

TideFan22
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
If its turtling then u might be setting higher than your phone can handle

My X has been orangesliced!!

demonhawk1313
03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
I've tried starting small with JRummy's app, It just freezes my phone up. I have no idea why. I do what everyone says and every time I apply a setting my phone becomes a sloth. So I've pretty much just given up on it and overclocking for now...

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sick of the nightmare that comes along with getting my phones settings back to normal when its unnavigable.

When experimenting just remember to not set it to apply at boot. That way if you have a problem a reboot will bring you back to stock. You shouldn't have to put it back manually. Are you using one of the preconfigured settings in the program to start with? Go into "Set Scaling Frequencies" then select one. Start with medium if your having problems. This will keep the voltages higher. If it runs fine with these then you can try low voltage and so on. Once you find the lowest one your phone can handle you can use the advanced option to manually adjust each frequency little by little. If you notice turtling or the phone freezes just increase the voltage a little or drop the clock speed.

Dr. Taco
03-18-2011, 06:03 AM
When experimenting just remember to not set it to apply at boot. That way if you have a problem a reboot will bring you back to stock. You shouldn't have to put it back manually. Are you using one of the preconfigured settings in the program to start with? Go into "Set Scaling Frequencies" then select one. Start with medium if your having problems. This will keep the voltages higher. If it runs fine with these then you can try low voltage and so on. Once you find the lowest one your phone can handle you can use the advanced option to manually adjust each frequency little by little. If you notice turtling or the phone freezes just increase the voltage a little or drop the clock speed.

Ok, I'll give it another try later today, I'll let you guys know if I have any success.

rudyy
04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
searched for a thread with problems with overclocking. so here's my problem. hope someone can help.
read about overclocking and decided to dive in (i hit my head on the bottom)
used jrummy16's droid overclock, selected high voltage (1.35ghz) under scaling frequencies, and ran quadrant (which seems some posters use). results were 1475.
it was suggested i could speed up the phone by minimizing the widgets and app icons on my panels. so i removed them onlyl from home screed and quadrant read 1598.
next step, i removed everything i could from the four panels i was using, quadrant 1600.
should have been satisfied here, but i wasn't.

next, i'd heard that by adjusting the settings in sysctl, i could make more gains.
i adjusted min free bytes from 2048 to 4096
dirty ratio from 95 to 90
dirty background from 60 to 70
vfs cache from 50 to 1.
then rebooted. went back in to droid x oc and selected high voltage 1.35ghz again. phone became very slow, taking up to 30 seconds or more to respond to gestures.
when pressing home button, instead of a short vibrate, it vibrated for about 15 seconds.
anyway, i rebooted and adjusted the scaling freqs several times with the same results (am i insane?)
finally, rebooted, changed all sysctl settings back to normal settings, and figured i could just use the driod x oc high voltage setting again (as i did initially) and be happy at 1600, but the phone gets sluggish every time i use droid x oc, even when i use other than high voltage.
any ideas? thanks in advance.

edit, update: have just bootstrap restored to nandroid I did yesterday before trying oc. will check later if the settings went back and if I can try oc again, but it's nearing time to get back on my head.
would still like to hear what some of you think i did wrong.