PDA

View Full Version : Verizon CFO says Tiered Data Plans starting this summer?

wicked
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/verizon-wireless-logo1.jpg (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-cfo-we-will-move-tiered-data-pricing-mid-summer/2011-03-01)

Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference this afternoon, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told investors that his company plans to move to tiered data plans in the near future. The plans, which could rollout as early as this summer, may be based on consumption, speed, or a combination of the two.

Continue reading @ BGR (http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/01/verizon-will-move-to-tiered-data-plans-this-summer-says-cfo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28BGR+%7C +Boy+Genius+Report%29)

psychotic_penguin
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I wonder if our unlimited plans are in jeopardy here? This is a drag and I blame the people that're abusing the system!

I'm sure Steve will move this to news, it's a newsworthy story!

smalltowngirl13
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Moved into the news section.

mikeinrichmond
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Yea that's why I just laughed everytime I heard folks say that they couldn't wait for 4G service, so they could tether all their home computers to it and get rid of their broadband ISP to save money... Hopefully we'll be grandfathered in, but at contract renewal time it will be like "How much data do you want? 1, 3 or 5Gb's? After 5Gb the extra charges start to accrue just like on the laptop data plans ...

(Swyped on the go..)

ryant35
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I blame the iPhone people. This has nothing to do with my 13gb per month use....

kmudd3
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I would think we would be grandfathered in...AT&T grandfathered their existing customers.

cynkrzy
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I would think we would be grandfathered in...AT&T grandfathered their existing customers.
Wouldn't it be nice if Verizon cared what we think

John.Borgen
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I just re-upped my contract and the lady that set me up said I was guarenteed unlimited data "forever".

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

cynkrzy
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
@John - Has no one ever "lied" to you before ? I don't mean she was intentionally fibbing you, but I've seen corporations change "Policy" overnight regardless of their previous stated policy

snoop5
03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Yea as always monkey see monkey do, should leave it as is and watch all the people flood in because of the unlimited. :disappointed:

kmudd3
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes it would, cynkrzy. :big smile:

crunkfrunk
03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
This has come up before, I think there will always be an unlimited plan. I think this will make the people happy who complain about paying $29.99 a month for data or $27.59 for those of us who get the 8% discount for small business customers haha

mikeinrichmond
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
This has come up before, I think there will always be an unlimited plan...

I thought the same, then AT&T changed their plans. It was really only a matter of time for VZW to do the same..

cruckus
03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
What about getting rid of the mail in rebates? Anyone ready for this price goes?

Blueduck3285
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Good thing I have 2 years til I have to renew. Hopefully by then Verizon will care about its customers.... Ill be holding my breath waiting in anticipation.

John.Borgen
03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh sure, I've been lied to plenty. If I'm being honest I've done my fare share of lieing too...but I keep coming back for more. :-)

mbl
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I just hope they dont make the unlimited data get more expensive then it already is.

Fox Racer30
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Chances are -and this IS speculation- that those that have it will be grandfathered in, A friend of mine has been grandfathered in for the $9.99 for unlimited data from WAY back in the day... :P.

fc127
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Chances are -and this IS speculation- that those that have it will be grandfathered in, A friend of mine has been grandfathered in for the $9.99 for unlimited data from WAY back in the day... :P.

Yeah, but has he renewed his contract or continued to pay month to month?

Sent from my Gingy DX

redsox 98
04-24-2011, 11:59 AM
If Sprint coverage was just a little bit better I would have never left there. It was fine for me but my wife works in a small town and honestly big red's coverage isn't any better there. They seem to care at least about the true meaning of unlimited. Whenever they shut off the Nextel towers and switch them to Sprint towers I will go back there. I paid $40 per month less with them and had more minutes and true unlimited. I have regretted going to Verizon since I got my first bill.

Winkly
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Couple things from the legally minded one.

To the poster who said a salesman/woman guaranteed you unlimited bandwidth forever, sadly, the contract you accepted from Verizon quite clearly states that no one has any authority to enter into any agreement outside of your contract, in short the salesman/woman could have told you that buying this phone would lead to a visit with Elvis, but that's NOT what is in the contract you SIGNED for at the store. You could bring suit for material misrepresentation, but it's very hard to prove and costly. Chances are the only way it would even be heard is if it were certified as a Class, and then your damages would work out to something small like $20 and a months free service, but the lawyers would make millions. Ph AND the contract signed states you agree to never seek certification as a class (its at the bottom)

Secondly, they will grandfather everyone who already has a data plan in, as changing the data plan is a material change to your contract and a get out of contract free card if they did so. IE, I just joined Verizon, in 5 months (19 months to go on my contract) they change the data plan tiering, I get out of my contract, get to keep my phone and incur no penalty. This is why they grandfather people in, otherwise they stand to loose TONS of money from people being able to legally walk away from there 24 month contracts due to a material change.

rudyy
04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
re renewal time: there won't be one for me. when this contact runs out, i'm moving to basic call/text phone on monthly plan.
will get best tab I can afford on wifi only.
the dx will then be wifi only, also.
the providers can treat others poorly.

liberty gb v0.1, slightly oc'd

TheJustPull
04-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Good, I have wifi most everywhere so I could probably drop down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mahagam3r
04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I can't complain about this at all... I tether occasionally (pdanet) if the internet at my school is down, and other than that I just casually use the phone. I use less than 2 gigs a month on average...

xjeepguy
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Somebody order spam? Lol

jerofld
04-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I wonder how tiered plans will change the price of phones, seeing how the data package is a subsidy.

duro78
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I just re-upped my contract and the lady that set me up said I was guarenteed unlimited data "forever".

I used to work for vzw and trust me the employees know.as much as we do if not less.