PDA

View Full Version : Replace email.apk or use custom ROM?

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm looking to replace the corporate email apk that comes with the Droid X. For some reason it doesn't work for me and every other email app I've tried does. It's not an Exchange issue as every other person I know in my company with an X has no problem connecting. It's just me...So I would like to replace it. I'm not sure if I have to go and install a ROM or if there is a way to pull the AOSP email.apk or something else from one of the ROM zip files. If I can't do that then I will consider replacing the whole ROM. I'm already rooted but currently using the OTA.

1KDS
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
You can definitely pull the email.apk out of a ROM zip, just dl, unzip and find it, then install on your phone. Just have to find a ROM that uses the AOSP apk's or find the loose .apk on the net

spodoc
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Does it matter how closely tied SMS and email are? Apex hints at this in the toolbox

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
You can definitely pull the email.apk out of a ROM zip, just dl, unzip and find it, then install on your phone. Just have to find a ROM that uses the AOSP apk's or find the loose .apk on the netI just downloaded Liberty 1.5 and tried the email.apk from that file. Downloaded to my X and got a "could not install" message. I definitely allow non-market apps so I know that's not the issue. Any ideas?

1KDS
03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Do you have Root Explorer? You probably need to delete or rename your current email app then install the new one

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Do you have Root Explorer? You probably need to delete or rename your current email app then install the new oneI found 3 files on my phone that have potential. There are BlurEmail.odex, BlurEmailEngine.apk and BlurEmailEngine.odex. Should I do anything with these? Liberty's email was simply email.apk.

1KDS
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
If you have RE you can rename the extensions to .bak instead of deleting them so you can bring them back if need be, then drop the email.apk in system/app or wherever you found the blur apps

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't have RE. I used Free Advanced File Manager (which I really like) but it won't let me rename the files. Maybe I'm missing something here but Android recognizes email.apk the same way it recognizes the BlurEmailEngine.apk? Seems strange. I'm just surprised it won't let me just drop the email.apk into the system...

1KDS
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
It seems to do that if it is an overlapping app