PDA

View Full Version : Cannot improve battery life no matter what i do!

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I've been trying everything to increase the life of my so-called "extended" battery, but have had only limited success. I've tried SetCPU, QuickClock and even both at the same time. I even decided to throw in Advanced Task Killer again last night.

QC "Battery Saver" CPU Speed Scale is showing 300MHz - 19 vsel; 558MHz - 32vsel; 729MHz - 40 vsel; 900MHz - 49 vsel; stability buffer 20%. These settings seem to have increased speed while maintaining stability. Frequency stats show 900 MHz - 21.63%; 729 MHz - 0.9%; 558 MHz - 2.14%; 300 MHz - 75.33%.

I've also taken a number of other measures to try to improve battery life, including running Ultimate Juice Defender with settings to limit background data to every 15 minutes during the day and to turn off overnight. I have my screen brightness at about 20% and set to turn off after 30 seconds. I froze the DX's bloatware using Titanium Backup Pro. I run QuickApp Cache Cleaner, which I use to wipe the data and cache every 6 hours.

Even after all of this, I'm still only getting maybe 8-10 hours of battery life with moderate use! From an official Motorola extended battery no less! I even tried exchanging it for a new one, but it's the same deal.

Can I try reducing any of the vsel values with OC? If so, how do you recommend that I go about this process? Any other suggestions?

Musicman
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
For an extended battery 8-10 hours seems pretty lame. I have also tried many things to improve battery and came to the conclusion that I just need to charge it sometime during the day. I do this on my drive to and from work. Sadly that its my best advice. I would recommend enjoying it to the fullest and charging it occasionally.

Sent from my liberated DX

scottpole
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Im not sure what else you could do. Do u leave bluetooth and wifi on?
Uploaded from my stock 3.4.2, rooted, debloated X -_-

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Im not sure what else you could do. Do u leave bluetooth and wifi on?
Uploaded from my stock 3.4.2, rooted, debloated X -_-

I leave Bluetooth off but I do set JuiceDefender to automatically turn on/off wifi in certain locations (office, home, etc.). I've heard that wifi doesn't eat up a lot of juice anyway.

I was hoping that someone with some expertise with QuickClock could chime in and make some suggestions as to how I could tweak the voltages, etc.

Dvan
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I leave Bluetooth off but I do set JuiceDefender to automatically turn on/off wifi in certain locations (office, home, etc.). I've heard that wifi doesn't eat up a lot of juice anyway.

I was hoping that someone with some expertise with QuickClock could chime in and make some suggestions as to how I could tweak the voltages, etc.

Your voltages are already low enough. If you are using the stock rom I suggest trying out apex. almost everybody reports much better battery life overstock

1.23ghz/Apex 1.4.1

Snow02
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Check your screen brightness. Even on automatic the battery drains pretty quickly. There is a HUGE difference between running automatic and minimum brightness.

Post a screen shot of your battery usage stats once it's down to 10% or so to see what's primarily draining your battery. If you don't have an app acting up that you can remove, there's not much else you can do.

Also, if you spend a lot of time on the edge of cell service, that will greatly impact the battery usage by your cell radio.

Artisticsoul79
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
What ROM are you using? I think it has a lot to do with the ROM...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

iresq
03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
@snow2, op already address brightness having it set at 20%. But the suggestion of battery usage status is good. For me the biggest energy hog is using the x as a phone.

Sent from my Droid X

kmudd3
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I too would recommend flashing a different ROM. I'm using apex and can get through the day on my extended battery and still have 30% at 11:00 pm with moderate to heavy usage. Also, I leave WiFi on all the time since I haven't noticed it draining my battery. Honestly, even before flashing Apex, my battery life wasn't bad. Could be an issue with the phone or a misbehaving app. Maybe you could download Watchdog for a couple of days and see if it detects something running that you weren't aware of.

Snow02
03-01-2011, 12:03 PM
It has little to do with the rom actually. I've gotten up to 30 hours on the stock rom with the oem extended battery.

Look at what uses the most battery - the screen and cellular radios. Those are rom agnostic. I'm not saying a rom won't help at all, but a realistic improvement would be < 10%.

Artisticsoul79
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Battery life on my stock ROM was not bad either, but since I've flashed to Apex 1.4.1, my battery life has really improved.. Other than that, it may just be an app that is running all the time in the background.. Try task killer, might help some..

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Snow02
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
@snow2, op already address brightness having it set at 20%. But the suggestion of battery usage status is good. For me the biggest energy hog is using the x as a phone.

Sent from my Droid X

Even set on 20%, depending on how much it's being used, will cause a substantial drain over minimum. I typically keep mine on minimum unless I need it brighter. My average battery life is probably 8-12 hours. But my best was around 30, and I can drain it in as few as 4-6. So usage pattern is the primary determinant.

People need to just accept that this huge screen sucks a lot of juice, and getting more than 10-12 hours with reasonable use is often an exercise in futility. Just do what you can and then accept what you get. Regular charging is the trade off for a big, fast phone. :shrug:

SEMPERFIDELIS
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Even set on 20%, depending on how much it's being used, will cause a substantial drain over minimum. I typically keep mine on minimum unless I need it brighter. My average battery life is probably 8-12 hours. But my best was around 30, and I can drain it in as few as 4-6. So usage pattern is the primary determinant.

People need to just accept that this huge screen sucks a lot of juice, and getting more than 10-12 hours with reasonable use is often an exercise in futility. Just do what you can and then accept what you get. Regular charging is the trade off for a big, fast phone. :shrug:

That's odd. I'm overclocked till I hit 30% life and its still overclocked after that, just not much. WiFi and gps always on. I use my phone moderately to heavy and still see 10-12 hours of battery. On a stock battery. So either something is up or my phone is a freak of nature lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Snow02
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Or I just use mine more. Or I use different apps or widgets. Or your definition of heavy is moderate to me. Etc. It's impossible to really make direct comparisons.

SEMPERFIDELIS
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I have 4 widgets that refresh every 5 seconds feeding me phone data ( battery temp, free RAM etc) along with 8-10 apps that run at all times in the background. In a 16 hour day I average 12 hours on my phone using the forum apps, social networks, youtube, messengers, texting and surfing the web. I'm currently unemployed lol. The biggest difference I could see is my phone is less than a week old.

Snow02
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah. Who knows. I charge it when I need to. I don't have enough free brain cycles to constantly worry about it.

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the valuable input guys. I'm running the stock ROM. I might be willing to try flashing over to a new ROM if it would really make a difference.

SEMPERFIDELIS
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
My thoughts are this. If there are any apps you don't need, ditch them( task killers, anti virus etc) increase your important updated apps ( email or social networks et c) to 30 min updates, and non essential apps push back to an hour. If you rarely use email or certain apps consider turning off the updates. Same with widgets. Adjust to standard clock speed at 3 interval's. 100-50. Max, 50-30 step it down one, and again at 30( though I usually skip the 50). Charge your phone to 100%, boot into clockwork and clear battery stats, then let the phone die a couple times making sure to charge to max each time.

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
My thoughts are this. If there are any apps you don't need, ditch them( task killers, anti virus etc) increase your important updated apps ( email or social networks et c) to 30 min updates, and non essential apps push back to an hour. If you rarely use email or certain apps consider turning off the updates. Same with widgets. Adjust to standard clock speed at 3 interval's. 100-50. Max, 50-30 step it down one, and again at 30( though I usually skip the 50). Charge your phone to 100%, boot into clockwork and clear battery stats, then let the phone die a couple times making sure to charge to max each time.

I used Advanced Task Killer a while back, but then disabled it when I read that it can do more harm than good. Today I decided to kick it back on just to see what happened and, so far at least, it seems that it's making a difference. I charged to 100% about 5 1/2 hours ago and it's still at 70% .

I'm pretty new to the whole rooting/underclocking thing. What do you mean by "Adjust to standard clock speed at 3 interval's. 100-50. Max, 50-30 step it down one, and again at 30( though I usually skip the 50)"? Also, I had to book into Clockwork a bunch of times while unrooting my old DX recently, but I don't recall there being an option for clearing the battery stats. Do you mean do a data/cache wipe? Also, what does clearing the battery stats do for this issue?

SEMPERFIDELIS
03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
If the option to clear battery stats isnt in any of the menus than dissregard that. I havent looked. It was an option on the D1 CW. It typically cleared up any issues with the battery not fully charging for any reason.
SetCPU PROFILES: set the clock speed to default speeds, then adjust SetCPU to the highest and second highest clockspeeds respectively
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ae36128e-7162-0620.jpg

TideFan22
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Read up on sysctl conf

Sent from tweaked out Fission

Joshamusdesimusmeridius
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
download MinFreeManager and set the settings to custom at 6, 8, 16, 20, 22, and 24 and i promise u will get at least 16-20 hours and use your phone a bunch.

demonhawk1313
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The option to wipe battery stats is in clockwork recovery. Its in the advance option I believe. It may be that since you didn't do this when changing to the new battery it isn't reading correctly. Just charge to 100% then bootstrap and reboot to recovery. Then wipe stats and let the phone run until completely dead. Then charge to 100% again, preferably with the phone off and see if that changes anything. Hope this helps.

conazo
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Solution= APEX 1.4.1 Try it and you won't regret it!!!

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
download MinFreeManager and set the settings to custom at 6, 8, 16, 20, 22, and 24 and i promise u will get at least 16-20 hours and use your phone a bunch.

Interesting. Has anybody else had any luck with this app? What exactly does it do and how does it compare to Advanced Task Killer?

I just downloaded it and entered your settings--are these better than the Aggressive settings? I also disabled Advanced Task Killer, thinking that MinFreeManager makes it redundant. Can I still run QuickClock?

WindyCity1014
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
The option to wipe battery stats is in clockwork recovery. Its in the advance option I believe. It may be that since you didn't do this when changing to the new battery it isn't reading correctly. Just charge to 100% then bootstrap and reboot to recovery. Then wipe stats and let the phone run until completely dead. Then charge to 100% again, preferably with the phone off and see if that changes anything. Hope this helps.

OK I'll try it, but can you explain how this might actually increase battery life (at least in theory)?

demonhawk1313
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
OK I'll try it, but can you explain how this might actually increase battery life (at least in theory)?

What I'm thinking is that the phone isn't reading the battery level correctly and reporting incorrect information back. It may think that its 30% when it's actually 70%. Have you let it completely die? Did it just sit at 5 or 10% for quite a while? I have had this happen before when switching batteries.

TideFan22
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Sysctl conf, is your best bet with a good battery rom

spmdroidx
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Sysctl conf, is your best bet with a good battery rom

+1 imoseyon: I Got a ZIP (imoseyon mods) (http://www.imoseyon.com/2011/02/i-got-zip.html)
Get the right zip for the right rom you are on. Just uninstall or freeze all of your task killers like minfree. sysctl will do all this for you and keep your system running stable and fast. Freeze all of your bloat ware (on stock or any blured rom) here is the link (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html). I personally recommend blurless roms for improving battery life. I feel thery are more stable and drian less battery too. So just take all of the tips here and apply them. Also read this (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/14714-how-optimize-battery-life-speed.html)..

Does anyone know if the app juice defender actually uses more battery if it weren't even on? And how can I set when my overclocking kicks in or drops down due to battery life left? I am using a mixture of quickclock with jrummys droid overclock.