PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread Release

Chew DZ
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Any info on when it will be released?

Sent from my Thug Life DroidX

kmudd3
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
No, but it appears that the X is slated to get Gingerbread. But, who knows...a lot can change in a month or two.

droidosaurus_rex
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I talked with a verizon employee on sunday who said a. that we definitely are getting it, and b. that we would get it in june. But obviously nothing is certain until there is official news, so at this point we just need to sit tight.

TheFandroid
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Sitting tight for people like us is hard!

DoctorOta
03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
That's cool... an upgrade in june. Lol i'll have upgraded to a new moto phone by then.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Backnblack
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
that we would get it in june..

What Year? :big smile:

Grim
03-04-2011, 06:32 AM
I think the verizon guy is full of crap. My buddy at Motorola said they were planning on end of February middle of March, but Android 2.4 came into play and compatibility with Zoom discussion move things out. Would not give me anymore info. I think it may be middle of April but before june.

Grim

mikeinrichmond
03-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Personally I wouldn't upgrade even if it came out today, until the devs can root it and get Bootstrap to work...

(Swyped on the go..)

ToeJamm57
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Are we there yet?..... Are we there yet?.... Are we there yet? LOL

Smittys
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I doubt we'll ever get Ging. I bet the photos are freakin' faked.

TheJustPull
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I really don't mind waiting. I've got my x set up how I like and it does what it need it to. Wifi tether really saved the day this weekend for me. So glad I rooted and even happier with apex rom.

John.Borgen
03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Some rumors say around the end of the month but I'm not holding my breath. I'm rooted/ROM'd the way I like and nothing in GB looks that compelling.

RubiX 2.0.1 | Mysterious Beast

gunner1982
03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Well personally this is motorolas last chance with me this blur is Pissing me off if they don't nail it on this one my next phone will be an htc of some sort and before anyone says I should try a rom I have tried a few and just couldn't deal with the un reliability and random reboots im rooted and over clocked they just seem like EA GAMES once they got our money we get one or two updates and then hung out to dry

swalker
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Personally I wouldn't upgrade even if it came out today, until the devs can root it and get Bootstrap to work...

(Swyped on the go..)+1 on that

azcharlie
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Verizon guys flat out told me in an email this morning (that I can copy here if you all want) that it's not Verizon that is holding it up, but he lays the blame squarely in Google and Motorola. This after many reports that it's already been signed off by Verizon (May 6, I think), and yesterday (May 17), some guy claims that his Droid X got the OTA update, with photo's that clearly show it. One Droid X Owner Gets Gingerbread Update Pushed Out Early (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/17/one-droid-x-owner-gets-gingerbread-update-pushed-out-early/) But it's 2.3.3 I'm not techy enough to try to update on my own. I need the phone for work, and if I bricked it, I'd be screwed. I'm betting that the X2 comes out and that's when we get it, but who knows at this point.

TRAGIC
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Verizon doesn't know anything, motorola is the one who does the updates. There is no info on either side yet. Just got off the phone with both.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Snow02
05-18-2011, 10:45 AM
It'll get here when it gets here, likely not substantially changed from the most recent leak. You guys are making some poor sap wait in the support queue for this? For shame.

ArcAngL
05-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Maybe if we all overloaded support bugging them about the release they'd finally just push it through so people with actual problems could get support again instead of switching carriers. Muahahaha

pltctytc
05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
why would one expect a gingerbread update for dx when dx2 doesn't have gingerbread on its release? nor does it have lte.
it really seems dx2 is just another update to keep sales going in the never-ending cycle to keep the public interested. nothing worth upgrading for, but there is always someone who has to have the latest technology

TRAGIC
05-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I bet the update comes near the release if the dx2. Just my guess. Bet I get another version of liberty to play with first though.

azcharlie
05-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Soooo. Im actually fine with my current version except I'd like the option to watch a Netflix movie if I want. Some of the GB versions still won't do that. Do we know for sure if the update will run movies on Netflix?

ArcAngL
05-20-2011, 12:17 AM
The all devices unlocked version of netflix works on my stock froyo.

And just because the DX2 is being released witout GB doesn't mean us with the DX should have to wait. Our phones haven't been sitting in boxes since before the GB was signed off on...

MSSmallBiz
05-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Must have missed something. Where's this All phones version as the APK I have will let me edit the Q but tells me phone is unsupported if I try to watch. Froyo

ArcAngL
05-20-2011, 12:41 AM
The file that worked for me was named "netflix-devicecheck-disabled.apk" I don't remember where I found it though.

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Here is the link to the Netflix.apk. You want the 2nd one in the list:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP]Official Netflix (new device check disabled) (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13730649&postcount=1)

Mike7143
05-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I can verify that the link to the file mikeinrichmond just posted works on:
Stock Froyo (non-rooted) with Flash updated to 10.3
Stock 595 (non-rooted)

It personally won't work on my 588 rooted. I have to change the build.prop for it to work.

azcharlie
05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey Mikeinrichmond I dl'd that netflix apk file but my phone just says "not supported on this device" when I try to open it. Just like it does when I try to play a NF movie. It was the second one on that list right?

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey Mikeinrichmond I dl'd that netflix apk file but my phone just says "not supported on this device" when I try to open it. Just like it does when I try to play a NF movie. It was the second one on that list right?

If you had downloaded the earlier copy from the Market, you have to uninstall that one first. Then install, yes the 2nd one in the list. Also make sure you have updated the Flash player to 10.3 from the Market.

Some folks have reported errors also trying to run it on the .588 Gingerbread release, upgrade to .591 or .595 and it will work fine.

Let me know how it goes..

azcharlie
05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Mike it worked like a charm. Thank you for the help.

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Mike it worked like a charm. Thank you for the help.

Welcome. It's what we're here for.. :)

corvato
05-20-2011, 03:49 PM
same with me, says:
"cannot download,. The content is not supported on this phone"
and i don't have any previous netflix installed, and have flash on 10.3

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
same with me, says:
"cannot download,. The content is not supported on this phone"
and i don't have any previous netflix installed, and have flash on 10.3

What GB version are you running?

azcharlie
05-20-2011, 06:10 PM
What I did first was deleted my old version of Netflix then download this new file to my computer and then emailed the file to myself. Opened the email on my phone and clicked "install" its working flawlessly.

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 06:15 PM
What I did first was deleted my old version of Netflix then download this new file to my computer and then emailed the file to myself. Opened the email on my phone and clicked "install" its working flawlessly.

Having a free (2 Gb) Dropbox account on both your computer and phone is nice for this purpose as well. Plus all your files stay sync'd with any other computer/device you may have that has Dropbox installed as well...

See here if you haven't heard of it:

Dropbox - Simplify your life (http://www.dropbox.com/)

MICHO
05-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Having a free (2 Gb) Dropbox account on both your computer and phone is nice for this purpose as well. Plus all your files stay sync'd with any other computer/device you may have that has Dropbox installed as well...

See here if you haven't heard of it:

Dropbox - Simplify your life (http://www.dropbox.com/)

Love me some DB. !

skooter16
05-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Every time I tried to download the file it says it failed. Im on gb 595. Any ideas?

skooter16
05-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Nevermind I found another apk which allowed me to install and download it fine

C Dippa
05-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Love me some DB. !

Dropbox is great...got a write-up here if it's needed: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/16641-how-use-dropbox-easily-transfer-files.html

MSSmallBiz
05-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Ok I unistalled the original api, grabbed the deco.d api from that link now when in NetFlix I can hit resume but after 30 secs of front and getting the NetFlix spinng buffer it just returns to the start.

azcharlie
05-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I see the benefit, but not sure how much I'd actually use it. I've been finding what my Droid x could do mostly on my own, sort of hit or miss, but now that I joined this site, I expect that I'm about to get a whole new education. I'll set this Drop Box up anyway cause I'm sure it's going to get more use now than it would have before.

azcharlie
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
There is an article about 2 versions of the modified Netflix app. Here is the page (http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/05/21/netflix-app-hack-downloads-for-majority-of-devices/) that I found it on and here is the second (http://www.mediafire.com/?cse5js5k6il7v15) app
I hope this helps you.

MSSmallBiz
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Ok all good. Unistalled the hacked version which was the third link and went with the " all devices" one, the second link and worked like a charm.

I was thinking about why NetFlix didn't release to all phones and it makes sense. The flood of new downloads would kill their servers as well as their bandwidth