PDA

View Full Version : New Droid X User - Need Help :)

touche112
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Haha, hey guys.

I don't wanna irritate you guys with all my dumb questions, but I need some help. :big smile:

To give you some background, I used z4root to root the DX. I'm still on the plain 2.2.3 OTA update, I haven't tried any fancy stuff. I rooted mainly so I could rename those preinstalled apks in the root dir and get them off my app page thingy...but I also use it for screenshots and whatnot. I used to be a WinMo guy, I migrated over to the Droid X from my HTC Ozone about three months ago-ish... I got a good grip on everything, I just have a few questions, and you guys seem to be the place to ask.

Besides being a phone, I mainly use it to RDP over to the servers and computers I administer, and I use PocketCloud for that. This is kinda one of those "Dammit, just open up Google" questions, but I can't seem to find anything. Is there an alternative application for RDP/VNC, that has the same standards as Wyse? That's free? I'm too cheap to buy the full version.

Next, and this is the whole reason for this post... I'm curious about Custom ROMs and stuff. I've got a few emulators on the phone, most of Yong's, and then Fpse, the new Playstation Emulator. Fpse runs slow without me opening up the Task Manager and closing all the background apps before booting it. I've noticed that there is at least 15 different apps on the phone that automatically boot. I've tried Startup Auditor and stuff, but they don't help. Half of the autorun apps aren't on the audit list. When I first boot the DX, I have around 240MB of free RAM, and it progressively gets worse - would installing a Custom ROM help with that? I'm clueless when it comes to Android ROMs. Back with WinMo we had ROM Kitchens and we could cook in the apps we wanted to be preinstalled with the OS and stuff - is that possible?

TL;DR: Custom ROMs. Yes or no.

Lastly, what cool stuff do you guys do with root access? I mean, yeah, I've got Barnacle tether on there, and I use it when my EasySwitch/Mobile Hotspot trick isn't working, and I have ShootMe! and stuff like that, but what else is useful/cool? And the VM Heap Utility...what's that... :crazy:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I know I'm a total noob when it comes to Android and you guys are probably facepalming right now...it'll just take some getting used to. :p

lynneddington
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry but your questions are beyond me. Search roms on the forum, tons of good info. The roms are ways to customize your phone.

Dustin0308
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Check this thread out
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/19613-rom-you-using-why.html
Here's a rom review
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/16532-rom-review.html

Another website to check out
http://roooler.wordpress.com/how-to-flash-a-rom/
On the last link..on the left side of the page is some good info

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

lynneddington
02-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Check this thread it
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/19613-rom-you-using-why.html

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

Thanks dustin, I still haven't been able to post links.

Dustin0308
02-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Lol..all from my phone..I'm becoming quick at this :)

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE

lynneddington
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I rekon. I didnt even get back to active topics and you had changed your first post and added another.

cobracon71
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
a custom rom such as liberty 1.5 is something that will speed up your phone tremendously it will get rid of all that bloatware that you dont want in your app thingy lol.but in order to install a rom you really need to get droid x bootstrapper and after you get that do a nandroid back up it will back up your system. once you do that then you can install a custom rom. as far as any other apps that you dont want to run you can get titanium backup and freeze the apps that you dont want to run its better than a task killer which is not good for your apps. If you need help wit the bootstrapper check droidxers guide on how to use the bootstrapper

Dustin0308
02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Ha ha....trying to kill the gg 3500 battery..it just won't die..I'm tired ha..@ OP..the links i provided should give you more info on roms and post rooting..have fun..and ask questions if need be

I rekon. I didnt even get back to active topics and you had changed your first post and added another.

LiBeRtY ONEPOINTFIVE