PDA

View Full Version : Native Android Corporate Email APK in a ROM?

Ansextra
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
For some reason my Droid X refuses to connect to my corporate email account. Touchdown works fine and at one point I downloaded an older email.apk file and it worked fine as well. Everyone else in my company that I know with an X has no problem connecting. I'm actually the one who taught them the settings.
Is there a ROM that has a native corporate email.apk in it? That would be my primary reason for trying a ROM. The blur apk just doesn't like my phone.
Any thoughts?

spodoc
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
As per my email conversations with motorola back in the day, they made changes to the corporate email from 2.1 to 2.2 and from 2.2 to 2.2.1 (changes were supposed to be positive ones). I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, but here is the current state of using DX for corporate email:

Blur
Stock (blur, not running a custom rom): works like stock :)
Apex 1.3.1: works like stock
Rubix Blurry: not sure, I guess would work like stock

AOSP
Gummy 2.5, Liberty 1.0, Rubix Focused 1.9.7: works like AOSP (which is better imo)

AOSP with a nice benefit
Then there is the AOSP roms that for whatever reason do NOT push certain exchange permissions like pin lockout (yeah!!!):
Liberty 1.5 and Apex 1.4.1

I have found that using AOSP is a better than blur for exchange connectivity... more stable. Also, the outbox is show to you up front, which is nice if messages get stuck.

If you use Apex 1.4 or 1.4.1, then be careful. There are dual email worlds in that rom: blur and AOSP. When you first set up the phone, if you choose the setup launcher instead of ADW, then you are prompted to enter account info just like in the stock phone. This is identical to going through "my accounts" and entering your info. That is blur world and you'd need to activate the blur message box. Instead, if you just cancel and go to the icon called "email" and enter your info that way, you are in AOSP world like in Liberty (and yes, no permissions pushed).

Edit: I'm not sure if that's the info you were asking for.

Ansextra
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. Basically I'm looking to replace the corporate email apk that comes with the Droid X. For some reason it doesn't work for me and every other email app I've tried does. So I would like to replace it. I'm not sure if I have to go and install a ROM or if there is a way to pull the AOSP email.apk from one of the ROM zip files. If I can't do that then I will consider replacing the whole ROM. I'm already rooted.

spodoc
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Are you asking if you can run AOSP email on the stock blur rom? As I understand it, the email and sms are very closely tided and blur dependent. You can't just take the stock rom and sub in AOSP email, well, not at our pay grade anyhow. I'm sure some dev could.

If you love the way your phone looks and feels now (e.g. blur dialer, HDMI support, blur contacts, blur facebook,...) then run Apex 1.4.1 rom. You can activate as many or as few blur components as you want. You could, for instance, have all blur on except the email/sms. Those could be AOSP. That said, Apex 1.4.1 comes with most blur off, so it's a bit of time navigating through apex primative menu to get all blur back. I did it.

Or, since you are rooted just do a nandroid of your phone right now. Save that. You can always go back :) Then go load up an AOSP rom like Rubix 1.9.7 which is mega fast. It will not take longer than 30min to get fully up and running and see if it hooks up to your exchange. It does for me and I love it :)

Ansextra
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok. Not ever having loaded a ROM before what exactly would I be giving up by going to Rubix? Just wondering...Do I lose any functionality I currently have? I appreciate your help.

spodoc
03-01-2011, 06:58 AM
You give up battery drain and phone lag, some of your free time setting things up :)

Seriously though, go read up on roms so you better understand them. I am 100% confident you will like it. I suggest you go with the latest rubix 1.9.7. That is blur free. Give it a few days. Should you hate it, there are burrito roms like apex and Rubix blurry that will give you the speed , stability, and battery savings of a rom but the feel of stock blur.

For me I am on exchange and love liberty. It is aosp too.

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks again. I'm also curious to find out if I can just drop a new email.apk into my phone. I am rooted an have system apps frozen so am seeing some speed and battery life increases already. Mail is all that's really giving me a problem at this point. Any ideas?

spodoc
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't think you can honestly. Try this, start a new thread called:

Replace .Apk files or use custom rom?

You will get more knowledgeable people want to read that. I'm serious. Email= boring here. Roms=exciting. You will have 500 views by end of day.

I'd bet money you can't replace blur with AOSP.

Pinayqt
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
This is probably a total newbie question but what is AOSP? I've looked on the Droid lingo post and it's not on there. Also....what exactly is blur? I want to try to flash a ROM to my phone but I don't know anything about the blur or which ROM to choose. Is there another post that tells you all the ROMs available and what they do so us newbies can make a better decision before choosing one?

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I will do that... Good idea Spodoc! :)

Ansextra
03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
This is probably a total newbie question but what is AOSP? I've looked on the Droid lingo post and it's not on there. Also....what exactly is blur? I want to try to flash a ROM to my phone but I don't know anything about the blur or which ROM to choose. Is there another post that tells you all the ROMs available and what they do so us newbies can make a better decision before choosing one? A Google search came up with Android Open Source Project

Gorgarath
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Android Open Source Project

As for which ROMs are available, features, reviews, etc, check the ROMs section. Should be a sticky with a list of current ROMs and I think the Psychotic Penguin has a sticky with his reviews.

Pinayqt
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I found it THANKS!!

spodoc
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I will do that... Good idea Spodoc! :)

Honestly quite surprised you haven't gotten more feedback in your new thread. Maybe most people just use gmail so this email bug is not an issue? Good luck.