PDA

View Full Version : A new project. Help :)

jloya
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey Guys,

Ive had my phone for 4-5 months now and I absolutely love it. Ive learned a whole lot all thanks to this forum

ive rooted (using the old school method), themed, modded a few apks, and learned how to make my own zip file

next I want to learn how to edit framework icons and a few other things

soo my question is this, can anyone task me with a simple project (if you dont mind outlining) something like editing what the alarm clock icon or signal icon, something involving the framework (like that or whatever you think might be good) and putting it in a zip to apply to my phone?? I feel like this might be the next step in me learning more about the phone and the adroid system as awhole

as you could say kinda like a mentor is a way?

Dustin0308
02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
This may be of some help to you...
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/12641-how-use-ninjamorph-change-notification-bar-icons.html

jloya
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
This may be of some help to you...
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/12641-how-use-ninjamorph-change-notification-bar-icons.html

thanks for the post

I know things can be done through ninja morph but I would like to learn how to do things a little deeper, I guess you could say the "manual" way rather than having a program do the majority of it for you

WugFresh
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Grab the program 7zip and unzip the framework-res.apk, it is composed of xml files and .png files. You can swap out any of the .png's. The image files account for the majority of the themed elements, however some parts of a theme are dictated by hexcode color value within the xml. XML editing is a little more involved because you first will have to decompile the xml in a form that you can read/edit; to do that you have to properly configure the SDK and install/setup apktool. With apktool you can decompile the xml and make edits to change things like the color of the download progress bar... ect. If you really want to get an indepth understanding of how to change themed elements. Read through the resources here:
Team Inversion Conversion - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-inversion-conversion/)

{{ WugFresh }}

jloya
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Grab the program 7zip and unzip the framework-res.apk, it is composed of xml files and .png files. You can swap out any of the .png's. The image files account for the majority of the themed elements, however some parts of a theme are dictated by hexcode color value within the xml. XML editing is a little more involved because you first will have to decompile the xml in a form that you can read/edit; to do that you have to properly configure the SDK and install/setup apktool. With apktool you can decompile the xml and make edits to change things like the color of the download progress bar... ect. If you really want to get an indepth understanding of how to change themed elements. Read through the resources here:
Team Inversion Conversion - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-inversion-conversion/)

{{ WugFresh }}

Wug you are the maaannn......this is exactly what I was looking for so thank you veryy much.... I already have apk manager installed and have used a little bit but ill DL apktool along with 7 zip and start messing around with it

is there a commonly used hex color index (one that may show the ginger hex color and other basic commonly used android colors?) I found the following RGB #CC4A33 • RGB Chart & Multi Tool • Color • PerBang.dk (http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/CC4A33/)

and lastly when editing pngs which program would be best? basic photo shop or???

WugFresh
02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Your welcome! I am trying to learn all of this myself now as well. I don't know weather or not there is a commonly used hex color indexes... hopefully google knows...

Png editing... I am not an artist but I know this... when making graphics, photoshop is more of the final touchup kinda program, because the images are composed of pixels. It's better to first build your graphics using a program where everything is vectorized (Corel Draw, InDesign...) meaning that any line/curve is a composed of an infinite amount of points (it's an actual equations, hence the term vector). That way, you can change it's size and not lose any resolution. All of the graphic designers I know first make their graphics vectorized and then export/render them in whatever format they want. My understanding is that photoshop is better for dealing/editing with images that are already made, adding special effects, and other photo related things. If you are making your graphics from scratch it's better to make them vectorized, if you are editing an image, photoshop will work, but ideally you would want to paste that image in a vector graphics program and trace over it and try to reproduce it as a vector graphic. I think you can download large libraries of vector graphics for inDesign and/or Corel Draw. I think Corel Draw uses the file extension .eps or something like that. Since most of the png's are really small, you can probably get away with just messing with pixel based editing, but the people that actually make didital graphics usually mock everything up in a vectorized format first.

Vector graphics are particularly beneficial/important for making 3D animations, using a program like Maya or 3DMax. In those programs its essential, because you need to build the mesh layer/skeleton first and then mess with the topography, and THEN comes all the coloring, shading and lighting. But all the core elements of any 3D object or 2D graphic can be represented by mathematical equations stored within the back-end of whatever program you are using.

Again... I am not an artist... hope that helps...

{{ WugFresh }}

jloya
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
again thankk you so much wug, this definitely points me in the right direction and and looks like I have quite a few things to keep me busy with for awhile :)

thanks againn