PDA

View Full Version : Ready to try a rom

pharmnatr
02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi All
After reading all the great posts I'm almost ready to try flashing a new rom.
I have a rooted droid x and have a few questions before I finally take the plunge.
I am thinking about dl'ing Apex 1.41 and have a few questions before I start.
Will I still be able to use a few key apps?
1. Swype
2. aTakephone
3. Beautiful widgets

I realize I may not retain all the functionality of my stock rom but will see a great speed increase. I wonder if the speed increase will be dramatic as I have my rom overclocked at 1.2ghz and its really fast.

TIA

Al

1KDS
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Those apps shouldn't be any problem, I use swype and bw on mine, you may still see some speed increases and battery increases over any stock set up. Make sure you have google sync on to save your contacts, you can also go to contacts>menu>more>import/export>export to sd card then you can import on the new ROM if your contacts don't sync for some reason.

TideFan22
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Don't forget to make a backup of stock

Sent from Rubix running some tweaked out sysctl.conf

pharmnatr
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I remember reading the contact export tip somewhere and appreciate the reminder.

Al

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TideFan22
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
I.mean a whole system backup not just contacts. Nandroid backup

pharmnatr
02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Got it. Actually one of the reasons I'm ready to try a new rom its that I had to replace my original droid x due to a bad pixel and used titanium backup to easily restore my new replacement X

cynkrzy
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
He's taking about a nandroid backup in clockwork mod,a backup of your operating system. Ti is a backup of your apps

Liberated(v1.5) from the "X"

pharmnatr
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I've used clockwork mod also.
This is really a great forum. So many users trying to help. It reminds me of the forums I used back in Palms heyday.
Thanks again to all.

spmdroidx
02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
It sounds like you are ready. Have fun with your x and flash many rims to find your favorite. Just read a lot. And make sure you fully understand the steps. But they are easy and there are many stickies to help. Before a installation of a rom, wipe cache and data. And before a theme install (make sure the theme is fir that rom!) Wipe cache and dalvik cache. No data wipe needed!

TideFan22
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
No need to wipe cache or dalvik when flashing a theme, but if u already have a theme and wanna flash another just wipe cache.. don't no exactly if that's even needed