PDA

View Full Version : Say buh-bye to VZW: Flashing your Droid X to Cricket or MetroPCS

Hesster
02-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Feel like giving Verizon the finger and taking your DX somewhere else? Yes, you can! When I made my introduction post and stated I was flashing the phone to Cricket, someone asked me to write up a guide. My DX is now working 100%, so I thought I would post how I did it.

There was originally a guide written by Kryptonit3 at myrootedandroid.com, but the site has been down for over a month now. I was lucky enough to find a cashed version on Google, but who knows how long that will last, and some of the information was out of date. So I decided to update the info and post it here.

First of all, make a backup of your ROM and data. There is already a great guide on this site, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. I'm also going to assume you have at least a working knowledge of menus and such.

Here is what you will need:

(hardware)
Rooted Droid X
USB data cable

(software)
HW Virtual Serial Port
CDMA Workshop 2.7 or 3.5
QPST

Let me explain a bit about CDMA phones and how they work. With GSM phones, all the data the phone needs to make and receive calls is stored in the SIM card. With CDMA phones, it is saved in various settings in the phone, and in a software file called a PRL, short for Preferred Roaming List.

When you dial *228 and do over the air programming, the phone makes a data call to the nearest tower and refreshes these settings, and the PRL. These settings are independent of the ROM. That's why the phone doesn't forget stuff like the phone number and that it's a Verizon phone when you flash the ROM.

Both CDMA Workshop and QPST have a ton of settings and can royally screw up your phone if you mess with the wrong ones. DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO ANY OTHER SETTINGS UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Now let's get started...

Section 1: Creating a COM Port for Your DX

For this part, I'm just going to quote Kryptonit3, since it's exactly the same.

1. Boot the phone up regularly without the cable attached. There is no special button to press while booting.
2. Connect the phone to the PC with a USB data cable.
3. Slide down the notification bar and click on USB Connection row.
4. Make sure the phone is set to PC Mode
5. If you have the Android SDK kit on the PC the drivers should install automatically, or be pulled from the phone. If not there are some attached to this post.
6. Now Download and Install HW Virtual Serial Port HERE (http://new.hwg.cz/download/sw/version/hw-vsp3-single_3-1-2.exe).
7. Once you have it downloaded and installed open it up.
8. Click the Login button. The password should automatically be filled in and click OK.
9. Go to the Settings tab and make sure that NVT Enabled is unchecked and go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab.
10. To be safe, pick a COM port above 8.
11. Make sure the IP Address field reads 192.168.16.2 and the Port field reads 11008
12. Click the Create COM button and after a few moments you should now have successfully created a COM port for your Droid X.

If you get Error in the LAN Status field then you have not successfully installed the drivers for the phone, or the phone is not set in PC Mode.

You can now use CDMA Workshop or QPST with the port you have created.

Section 2: Downloading Files You Need

1.) Download a PRL for your carrier. Just google the name of your carrier and EVDO prl. It doesn't really matter how old the PRL you download is. Just get one, and save the file.

2.) Next step is to get the NV settings for your number. You generate the file HERE (http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/). In the first box, type "xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com" for Cricket, or "xxxxxxxxxx@mymetropcs.com" depending on your carrier. Type your phone number in place of xxxxxxxxxx. Select your version of CDMA Workshop using the radio buttons, and click the "Generate" button. It will generate a .txt file with a name that starts with your phone number. Save the file.

3.) Now you need to download the .zip file with the carrier MMS settings. Download the file HERE (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730289). It's for the Eris, but works fine for the DX. I used Cricket v10 with Gummy Jar 2.5 and had no issues.

Section 3: CDMA Workshop

You can find CDMA Workshop online. It's fairly expensive, but worth it. This guide uses version 2.7. The latest one might be slightly different, but the settings should still be the same.

2.) Open CDMA Workshop. On the "Main" tab, look for COM Settings (AT mode). Click the drop down box next to Port: and select the COM port you created. Click the "Connect" button at the bottom. It should say "Connected to COM <whatever> port successfully" in the bottom left corner.

3.) Click the "Security" tab. Under the SPC box, there will be a drop down menu and an empty box. Leave the drop down alone. Type 000000 in the box. Click the "SPC" button, then click "Send." You should see a little popup box that says the SPC is correct and the phone is unlocked. Click the "OK" button.

4.) Click the "Other" tab. In the PRL section, click the "Write" button. You will get a browse window. Browse to the location of the PRL you downloaded and click "Open."

5.) Click the "Nam" tab. Type your MIN number in the MIN field. If you don't know what it is, call your carrier and they can tell you. Sometimes it's the same as the phone number, but not always. Type your phone number in the Dir_Number field. Do not put in any spaces or dashes, and no one in front. Click the "Write" button at the bottom of the screen.

6.) Click the "Memory" tab and click the "Write" button under NV items. It will pop up a box reminding you to put in the SPC first. Click "OK" and a browse window will pop up. Browse to the .txt file you downloaded in part 2 of section 2 and click "Open." It will tell you 12 NV items have been loaded successfully.

7.) Go back to the "Main" tab and click the "Mode" button. Select "Reset" and the phone will reboot. When it comes back on, test call to *611. You should receive the customer service prompt from the new carrier. If not, try loading a different PRL.

8.) Close out of CDMA Workshop.

Section 4: QPST

When using QPST, don't let your phone go into sleep mode or it will lose connection.

1.) Open your Programs menu and go to QPST > QPST Configuration. If you do not see an active phone listed, select the "Ports" tab and click "Add New Port..." at the bottom right. Highlight the port you created for the DX, then click "OK." It should show the phone information. If it doesn't, check to make sure the DX is in PC mode.

2.) Close the window, and go back to Programs > QPST > Service Programming. Select the phone info, and click "OK." On the new window that pops up, click the "Read from Phone" button on the bottom left. A box will pop up asking for the SPC, but it already has 000000 in it, so just click "OK" and a blue progress bar will start creeping across the top left part of the screen. It might take a few minutes to finish.

3.) Click the "M.IP" tab. Select the entry for your phone, then click the "Edit" button. Make sure the NAI and Tethered NAI both read xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com or xxxxxxxxxx@mymetropcs.com. Your phone number should take the place of the xxxxxxxxxx. Home address, Primary HA address, and Secondary HA address should all be 0.0.0.0. If they aren't, change them. Click the "OK" button. While you're on the M.IP tab, make sure the Mobile IP behavior drop down is set to "Mob + Simp f/back" and Active User is set to 0.

4.) Select the "PPP Config" tab and click the "Um" button. Tethered NAI and User ID should be the same as they were in the M.IP tab. The Req PW box should be checked. In the password field, type in either "cricket" or "metropcs" depending on your carrier. Click the "AN" button, and make sure the USR ID is the xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com or xxxxxxxxxx@mymetropcs.com. The Req PW box should be checked, and the password is the same as it was for the Um tab. Tethered NAI should be blank and grayed out.

5.) Click the "Write to Phone" button on the bottom of the screen. It may take a few minutes, and the phone may reboot. When it comes back up, you should have web access.

Section 5: MMS Settings

There's an extensive thread on this HERE (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730289) so I'm just going to briefly cover it.

1.) Download the .zip file for your carrier from the links in the thread. No registration is required. Save the .zip file onto your SD card.

2.) Use the boot loader of your choice to get into the boot menu and run the zip file. I used Droid X Bootstrapper from Clockwork. You can download it off the Android Market. Run the .zip file from the boot loader screen and reboot. MMS should be working after the phone comes back up. If not, register on the Eris forum and ask for help.

Congrats! You now have a DX without VZW!

gunner1982
02-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Well that's all fine and good but why would I want to leave Verizon service is awesome and customer support is very good

sent from the liberated droid army

plumcrazy
02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
so you want me to leave the absolute best cell coverage in the USA ?....not gonna happen

mikeinrichmond
02-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the info..For someone that is done with their contract, is looking for a cheaper plan, and is one of the lucky ones in their coverage areas, it could be ok...Here's coverage area comparison: The area in dark green is Cricket's coverage, lighter green is a 'Partner's' coverage (whomever that is)..

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/mikeinrichmond/cricketcoverage.png

And here's Verizon's:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/mikeinrichmond/verizoncoverage.png

Dvan
02-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Im assuming he is posting this because those carriers are cheaper

1.23ghz/Apex 1.4

Hesster
02-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Correct. Cricket's android plan is $55 per month (including taxes) with unlimited minutes, MMS, and SMS. It includes 1 GB of data transfer per month, after which they throttle your connection. But you're never going to open your bill to find a massive amount of data overage charges. They don't charge extra for tethering, either. So if you need to hop on a laptop occasionally, you don't have to pay extra. If you live in an area where they have good coverage, it's a great deal.

Keep in mind that the red area on VZW's map includes both VZW coverage and their roaming partners. So the big red area is equivalent to both the dark green and light green on Cricket's network. Verizon's native coverage area is undoubtedly larger, though.

mikeinrichmond
02-26-2011, 06:50 AM
You will pay extra when outside the dark green areas for roaming. Here is a link to the Cricket site that discusses the additional Roaming charges for anyone interested....

support | Cricket Wireless (http://www.mycricket.com/support/topic/Roaming)

Hesster
02-26-2011, 07:11 AM
I worked for Verizon Wireless for three years. Not trying to convince anyone to leave VZW. Just trying to help out those that want to, or already have Cricket/Metro PCS service and have bought a DX with the intention of flashing it.

Snow02
02-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Nice writeup. This info isn't (or, wasn't) the easiest to find.

xrazedx
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Metropcs just recently came to NYC. I don't plan on leaving verizon anytime soon, but if i ever do, i will consider this. I think I know some people who may be interested in this now though. Thanks for this.

headkick
02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Do you think this will work with taking the DX to Boost mobile?

Gorgarath
02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Doesn't Boost use iDen, not CDMA?

Hesster
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Boost has both iDEN and CDMA phones. I'm not sure if they accept flashed handsets from carriers other than Sprint, though. May want to call and ask them.

xWiZxKiDx
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok Look i did this so many times and it will not work i have a droid x and the new cricket android and calling does not work web does not work text dont work and everything else when i call someone its always busy but on the cricket android it works fine i followed this tutorial all the way. when i dial *611 it says welcome to cricket like it should it even has the bars on top please help me fix this i really want this phone to be fully flashed

Europa
03-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Ok Look i did this so many times and it will not work i have a droid x and the new cricket android and calling does not work web does not work text dont work and everything else when i call someone its always busy but on the cricket android it works fine i followed this tutorial all the way. when i dial *611 it says welcome to cricket like it should it even has the bars on top please help me fix this i really want this phone to be fully flashed

did you activate service for the phone? the only reason i can think of for you getting service but not being able to use it is because your phone hasn't been legitimately activated by the carrier yet.

ibeefman
03-05-2011, 08:37 AM
im going to a new carrier with my family

the carrier is called ubi telecom (its korean) its cdma so would this guide theoretically work for them as well ?

Edit: im getting an htc from their carrier

is it possible to get prl and mms setting from this phone to put on the DX ?

mikeinrichmond
03-09-2011, 05:18 AM
ok so i have the huawei ascend and ive done the custom rom icarusmod and other things...

Please do not cross post the same thing in multiple threads..Post deleted..

Your post remains in the RS section area..

eastwood
03-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I have been wanting to flash my X to cricket.I have a question tho..I don't have a cricket number.What will be the cheapest way for me to get a cricket number so I can try flashing my X to cricket?Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Hesster
03-11-2011, 05:25 AM

If you're trying to activate the Droid X on the same number that was on the Cricket Android and the Cricket Android still works, it means that's the phone that's active on the account. Call them and have them change the ESN. You can convert the MEID in the Droid X to an ESN using this web site: MEID to ESN Converter (http://www.humpa.com/vzw/meid_to_esn.php)

Hesster
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
im going to a new carrier with my family

the carrier is called ubi telecom (its korean) its cdma so would this guide theoretically work for them as well ?

Edit: im getting an htc from their carrier

is it possible to get prl and mms setting from this phone to put on the DX ?

The PRL and WAP/MMS settings are not phone specific, so yes you should be able to use them from the HTC phone.

Hesster
03-11-2011, 05:32 AM
I have been wanting to flash my X to cricket.I have a question tho..I don't have a cricket number.What will be the cheapest way for me to get a cricket number so I can try flashing my X to cricket?Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Just go into a Cricket dealer and have them activate the account for you. They don't charge an activation fee. The only thing I had to pay was the first month of service. If you're porting a number, they may charge for that but I'm not sure.

sparky100
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey, I followed your guide and repeated it several times except for the MMS settings part, but whenever I dial *611 i get an error instead of metro. when I do *228 i get verizon. My texting works, however, and i've added my ESN to metro. They send me their test-texts fine. It's just voice thats not working. I rooted + custom rom'd (apex 1.4) before switching to metro, would that have something to do with it?

EDIT: I went back to stock rom (well the maderstcok + factory reset) and I STILL get the "We were unable to route your call..." error when doing *611. =\ any help pleaaase?!

Hesster
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a problem loading the PRL. The PRL is what controls which service the phone connects to when dialing 611 or *228.

Try a different PRL. Make sure you unlock the SPC before uploading the PRL.

ROM should not make a difference, except that some ROMs can't load the internet/ MMS file. I'm using Apex 1.4, though I was using a different ROM when I did the flash.

sparky100
03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
everyone keeps saying the PRL...but my texting is working, so that in itself should say the PRL is good?

I've tried 3 or 4 different metroPCS prls...and i've manually changed the SID / NID to the ones in my area. =\

i'm starting to think it might be a coverage issue? i'm in metro extended home area on the dual-band map...even though it says i "should" have talk and text.

cuteo
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
hi, i got my dx flashed to cricket and everything works great. But then when i changed back to my old number, sometime it won't receive calls.:( can someone help????

z_newb
04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
hi i was wondering if someone could help me with a situation i have regarding flashing my DX to cricket. When i try to put in the anycut apn setting's in the apn shortcut and try to save it it delete's it's self. is there any clue as to why?

phxdroidx
04-11-2011, 03:31 AM
sorry to be oober noob and late to the convo.. but is there anyway someone can make a video or step by step tutorial with pics.? im recently out of work and moved to new mexico, everyone out here want 80-100 bux to flash to cricket.! WTF?! and thats not including getting activation for cricket.. im really strapped for cash right now and verizon is way pricey when your jobless.. anyway i tried following the guide and got in way over my head.. if anyone can help or knows anyone in albuquerque who can flash for a reasonable price.. please, please let me know..

Ploblem solved.. found a guy to flash my X for 35bux.. all apps, internet, maps and my battery is actually lasting a little bit longer for some reason.. anyway, for 55bux a month i can afford to buy food with the extra 60 im saving.. kick ass phone on a reasonably priced plan..

silverhack
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
How do you Un-do this? If a phone was previously flashed to Cricket or Metro and I want to go back to Verizon... do I just use the SBF (or the Maderstcok update.zip) to flash back to stock? Is that all that's needed? I'm having difficulty finding out about going back to Verizon after flashing to Metro.

cootercommander
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
i did all the steps to flash the dx but i cant get metro to activate it....the dx works when i dial *228/*611 but they say the esn isnt working.....please help!!!!! aaahhhh:omg:

garethium@hotmail.com
05-22-2011, 02:27 AM
03/13/2012
Update 10 months of Verizon Later go to bottom of article-
-I did all of this, but metro wouldn't activate it- so I put it back on verizon- had to load verizon's prl and the text file from whiterabbit with xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com on cdma workshop- didn't have to mess with qpst at all- took me straight back to v's activation and it programed everything else for me. 05/8/2011
-
found a dealer that would put my esn into their database w/ houdinisoft- and found out a few things I wished I knew 10 months ago
1- Once rooted, install clockwork recovery
2- download liberty 3 v 2.0- worked for me-
3- buy d2bootstrap recovery- activate- youtube video
4- backup your present system to sd card- youtube video
5- install liberty 3 v 2.0 - totally awesome- don't forget to calibrate battery after
6- critical to use MIN # off of your new account (different than phone #), & evdo prl.
7- generate MSL code off whiterabbit page- follow their instructions to T
8- CDMA ws, qpst mgr, somebody with houdini are all you need
Besides this guide.
Thank You gentlemen of technology, Lords of tomorrow, Masters of IP, they said it couldn't be done, so we took a chance, and did it...
Everything works as proposed, perfectly, EVDO Rev A- all the way...

thehandsomedan
06-17-2011, 07:25 AM
I've followed the instructions within this thread, and I'm still having severe issues.

I previously operated two Droid phones on the same account\number with Cricket, and was simply trying to replace them with this one. Interestingly enough, this new Droid X is having the same problem as one of my two Droid A855's did... It gets analogue signal just fine (Phone calls, sms), but can't get any kind of data\3g\mms connectivity. When comparing the two Droid A855's, I notice the one that DOES work has PRL 35010 (which I can't find anywhere on the web, and can't figure out how to pull this off the phone to put onto others), I wasn't sure if that might have anything to do with it.

If I try programming the phone via *228, it welcomes me to Cricket, starts, and says it has successfully programmed the phone (I am on the $55 Android plan, and this was very helpful with my working Droid A855 when I first got it). After that I see a 3G symbol at the top of my phone, but only the downward arrow will stay solid. After that did not work, I did try redoing the PRL process, and I'm back to 1X.

Can someone explain what the unknown PRL might be? Is that why I'm not getting data\3G\mms? I've followed all the other steps to a tee, and all responses from CDMA workshop and QPST seem to be successful... So I can't figure out what gives?

I'm wondering if perhaps the 35010 might be a special PRL for Cricket in the San Diego or greater SoCal area? And if so, how I would obtain it? I really just want to get this fixed and functioning.

Thanks all!

evo7
06-18-2011, 04:45 PM
edit nvm

Snow02
06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
It's supposed to be in pc mode. Read the first post more carefully.

evo7
06-18-2011, 06:19 PM
fyi, i followed this guide for my droid. there is no pc mode on the droid. you have to hold down "t" and while power on the phone to put in the diag mode. also for the password in the UM and AN settings, you cant use the "metropcs" password, you must use the MLS password generated from white rabbit. hope that helps for anyone.

dj923
06-18-2011, 10:54 PM
ok so i just wanted to know, after doing this. will my phone be permanently on cricket? meaning, will i need to do this, whenever i flash a rom, or if i sbf? also if it is permanent how would i get it back to verizon? i only plan on being with cricket for a month or two

teenuhhh
07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
My sister bought a used droid x and when she tried to activate it she found out it was never deactivated. Is there any way for her to somehow flash that phone onto her account or is she basically out of luck for the money and the phone? Both phones are Verizon.

SynderellaMan
07-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the info, very very hard to find a great step by step on the net to get this done. With that said, I followed each step and it appears that everything is ready to go. When I dial 611 I get Metro, when I pull up the info in my settings " About Phone " it shows my Metro # ( which I had already before flashing ), and I have bars at the top. I called Metro to have them change the ESN on the account from the crappy little flip phone that I started the account with, to my Droid X from Verizon, and they told me I had to go into a store. Next day I went into the a store and waited and waited, then I was assisted, only to find out that they cannot add this ESN in place of my crappy flip phone because the ESN is not in their database. That was there exact words. Can someone please help me here.....Im so close..... I think....lol.

1KDS
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
That doesn't even make sense, they couldn't have all ESN's in their "database" since they are a serial number that is unique to the device. If the ESN is on the blacklist though they may not activate it, if it was reported lost or stolen etc.. If that isn't the case I would try to go into another Cricket store and see if they activate it.

SynderellaMan
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
This phone was not reported lost or stolen period. I had it with Verizon and due to financial strains had to end my contract with them. When I called Metro via 611 they told me that I had to go into the store because of the ESN not being in the system it would allow him to do it over the phone but the store could......I thought it sounded fishy and figured he was just trying to get me off the phone, then when I went into the store they needed the ESN on the phone and started to take the battery out when I kindly showed them that you can simply press *#06# and get the same info as what you find behind the battery and much easier to read. So with that they took the phone over to their pc and then came back after a couple mins and said...." Sir, this ESN is not in our system, its not a Metro device, unfortunately we arent going to be able to put this on your account. " I said.....really.....cause I thought Verizon, was short for Metro.....lol. I explained to him that the phone was flashed and that when I dial 611 I already get Metro, and showed them where it shows my phone number in the settings menu, and they said that it was bc Metro didnt unlock it. Then he proceeded to tell me that I needed a fake ESN to give them and I might be able to locate someone on Craigslist to help me with that.

At this point....I was pretty irrate, and just left.....came home, started researching to see if I forgot a step or done something wrong.....and I am lost as to what to do now.

I worked for AT&T / Cingular for 4 years, both in customer service and tech support.....so when he told me that the ESN wasnt in their database.....I had the same reaction as you.....DUH....why on earth would Motorola send you " Metro " ESN's created for Verizon phones......lol.

1KDS
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok, we're on the same page here, unfortunately, I'm no expert on flashing to different providers. Hopefully someone else has an answer for you soon.

From the X

Artisticsoul79
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Great write up, Hesster.. I have a question in regards to a Sprint phone, the HTC EVO specifically and was wondering if there is a way I could flash it to work under Verizon?

Sent from my Broodcomb using Droid X Forums

johnnysyeah
07-24-2011, 11:00 PM
If I say buh-bye to VZW, can I say HIIIII to them again by reprogramming the phone?

SciFer
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
fyi, i followed this guide for my droid. there is no pc mode on the droid. you have to hold down "t" and while power on the phone to put in the diag mode. also for the password in the UM and AN settings, you cant use the "metropcs" password, you must use the MLS password generated from white rabbit. hope that helps for anyone.

Hi, new here. Just to confirm what you're saying. I can use these same instructions for "Droid", not X?

If so thanks, the instructions I'd found were from 2010, this on seems to be more updated. :excited:

draccocain
08-05-2011, 12:40 AM
WOW this is GREAT i ve been a mem 4 30 min n already c answers to things i ve been looking 4 for months. i just paid to flash over to metro and wish i had seen this site b4. i rooted dx myself and have a good undersanding of the basics. the place that did the flash put liberty on my phone and told me only liberty worked with metro pcs nothing else. i had installed gingerbread b4 having it flashed and liked every bit of it.will gingerbread work with metro and is there n e n thing or info i shud save from the way it is set up now b4 I REINSTALL GB ROM

draccocain
08-05-2011, 12:42 AM
i wanted to say what an excellent job on this thread too

fezrock
08-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Drac- sorry you didn't find this in time to save some $$. But maybe you can do what others did for you now. Welcome to the forum! Glad to have ya!

draccocain
08-05-2011, 06:04 AM
i do what i can m still feeding off all this info and m wondering dif between factory build froyo 2.2 and factory build gb and what concerns to look out 4 when flashing dif roms ie liberty gb aosb and cymod7

Snow02
08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
WOW this is GREAT i ve been a mem 4 30 min n already c answers to things i ve been looking 4 for months. i just paid to flash over to metro and wish i had seen this site b4. i rooted dx myself and have a good undersanding of the basics. the place that did the flash put liberty on my phone and told me only liberty worked with metro pcs nothing else. i had installed gingerbread b4 having it flashed and liked every bit of it.will gingerbread work with metro and is there n e n thing or info i shud save from the way it is set up now b4 I REINSTALL GB ROM

The only thing I would look out for is anything that will affect the radio. I know that the gingerbread update will update your radio to .12, but I'm not sure if it will affect your flash or not. Perhaps someone else can chime in that's tried it. An sbf will absolutely erase your metro flash though, so be aware of that.

MegaNoobMind
09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Hesster,

Thanks for the guide!
i did sections1 thru 4 to the letter.
now, when i try to make a call i get the " MSL04, your phone is not authorize to make a call at this time" message.
any thoughts on how i can fix this problem?

MegaNoobMind
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey Hesster,
great guide. one thing thou- I cant make calls from the phone yet. I get a "MSL04" message when i try to make a call.
I took thr DX to a metro store to get it activated using the DEC#. They said the DEC# is not showing up as the matching serial# in their systemt, so they cant activate the DX for calls.

Any thoughts on how i can resolve this matter?
thanks

MegaNoobMind
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
has anyone succesfully activated a dX with metro by including the esn on their db?
I still cant talk or txt on my flashed dx because i cannot activate with metro

I was just told that dx esn's will be able to be added to metropcs db soon, but not yet. Only DX2 esn's can be added at the moment
Does anyone know anything about this or have already been able somehow to activate a droidx with voice and text?

99this
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Hello I was hoping some one could please help me, I need to know how to activate my flashed DROID x on to my cricket account . Initially when I called cricket to activate it after I had done the flash, the rep told me that he could not help me because the esn had letters in it and I would have to take it to the store , the store charges a hefty fee do the activation I would like to avoid this. What are the steps I need to take to activate an android or other type pf flashed cricket phone on my account after a flash? Thank you please help.

99this
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Hello I was hoping some one could please help me, I need to know how to activate my flashed DROID x on to my cricket account . Initially when I called cricket to activate it after I had done the flash, the rep told me that he could not help me because the esn had letters in it and I would have to take it to the store , the store charges a hefty fee do the activation I would like to avoid this. What are the steps I need to take to activate an android or other type pf flashed cricket phone on my account after a flash? Thank you please help.please email me at 99this@gmail.co

stenopete
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey. Great site BTW.

I followed the instructions to flash from vzw to metro pcs. After I rooted the droidx with z4mod, I did everything it told me with cdma prog. When I rebooted the phone and went to check with *611, it still told me that it was on verizon.

The PRL is 3018. The MIN number I got off my current metro pcs phone as it is available under settings.

At this point I can't really see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for any help you can assist me with.

spartan0311mp
09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
The problem I am having is after taking it to the cricket store, they got talk and text working, but said I have to flash back to a stock rom to get web working. Is there a way around that, something I can do here?

Chrissyw
11-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Does this work with Straight Talk as well?

MIck11
11-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Will this work for virgin mobile?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Chrissyw
11-25-2011, 03:23 AM
I live in the Austin Texas area and I cant find a evdo prl for cricket or straight talk

Snow02
11-25-2011, 03:35 AM
You can't use this for straight talk. That requires an esn swap. As for the prl for cricket, look on Howard forums. All you need is one that connects, and then *228 should give you the newest.

Try the prl attached to the first post here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/moto-droid-2/140372-04-2011-droid-2-cricket-full-flash-w-files-latest-cricket-prl-full-flash.html

paper
12-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Will this guide work on a Droid X2? Also do I need to buy CDMA workshop or can I use the free demo version?

Acecoleman132
12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a rooted Droid x running miui that I'm having flashed to metro this weekend, anyone know if they can flash it over with the custom rom? I'm on froyo still and have no way of sbfing back to stock ands I really don't want to, so if they factory reset my phone and brick my phone after I pay 70 bucks I'm gonna be pissed haha

popcenator
12-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Usually you're suppose to be stock rooted before they flash. I'd SBF now before flashing it over.

on the move..

Acecoleman132
12-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Usually you're suppose to be stock rooted before they flash. I'd SBF now before flashing it over.on the move..Ill just wing it, I have no way of sbfing, so ill just send it in and let them send it back, worst case scenario they flash it and it doesn't work, ill get a refund.. I seen somewhere on here someone had liberty 2.0.1 and successfully had it flashed but I couldn't find it again

Lynkdev
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a question on switching from verizon to metro, im running cyanogenmod7 and i have to sbf back to froyo or gb? then root which is easy enough..im not sure what i need to flash though once i have the prl and txt saved..only the liberty rom or eris rom works?

paper
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
So I went to five Metro PCS stores and not a single one could get my ESN added to their database...

MCLESN
12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Hello im a nooB i should be recieving my droid x tomorrow i want to flash it to metro pcs ..what are the first steps root or sfb please help with some videos or links thanks

Leach19m
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
The links you need to SBF and Root are both in my signature. Then all the steps you need to flash to Metro PCS are in the original post (OP) of this thread.

rizaydog
12-28-2011, 06:00 AM
I am having a problem and was hoping for some help here. I sent my cdma droid x to be rooted and flashed to work on straight talk network to two different guys. I cant get cricket or metro, so this was my only option. Both times, they got it to work. When I received the phone, I couldn't make any calls. I don't know if it has something to do with it being programed in a different location or not. I know the cdma straight talk phones work here, many of my friends have them.

I was wondering if anybody could provide me with the steps/software list to do this myself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sergoi.gon0325
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
i did all the steps up to the end of the cdma workshop instructions, when i dial *228 i get metro pcs on the line to set up the phone, however if i dial 611 or *611 it says cal cannot be completed or something like that, any one know how to solve that problem? or anyone having that problem?

Kano
04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi all, new member...
Just wanted to say thanks for this tut. I wasn't sure if it could be done and I almost lost hope after a couple hours of searching. Thanks again.

Gra6669
04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
My x and I broke up so she reported my fone as stolen! Is there a way I can get past that ? I was also wondering if I have to root my x2 to flash it to cricket?

DirtyDroid
04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Can't you verify with Verizon that its yours?

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Ghostcore
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi First off I just want to say thank you for the writeup!

However I have a couple of questions a couple of which have been asked but were not addressed so call it a pseudo bump.

I have two Droid X handsets

one is at gingerbread 2.3.3
one is froyo 2.2.1

The ginger bread is already flashed to cricket (was done at a store)
The froyo however still is coded to verizon (however its inactive)

The first question I have is should I roll em back to a stock ginger rom before i flash?

The reason being is my wife is well....cursed when it comes to phones so my current (the gingerbread) is to be reflashed to her number. I will be using my old froyo handset because its in better shape.

which brings us to my other question once I have flashed the phones to cricket would i be able to switch roms like apex liberty etc or should i get the roms i want first THEN flash to cricket?

Excuse the chaotic nature of my post pain meds make for poor grammar and punctuation.

Thank you in advance

Juggalomadmark
05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone, just got a droid x .605 gb, flashed to cricket using this forum, got talk n text working with 42900 but no internet, do i need to play with diff PRL's or did i screw up the flash, $55 plan, i dialed *288 n got 54835 prl but no data then flashed back to 42900, still no data, area code 45365, thanks

Also in qpst i selected mob only and lost 3g signal but then selected mob+simp and got my 3g signal back but still no internet

Sethc
09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Hester, Thank you for great instructions. I have a rooted DX with 2.3.4 and am trying to fully flash to metropcs. I was able to create the COM port in section #1, the .txt and .zip in #2
1. First problem I had was in #3. CDMA would not accept my .txt file for the NV part (xxxxxxxxxx.@mymetropcs.com_cdmaws27). X's were actually my number. I had to close down by that time of night. Noticed that I had no "service" bars and can not make a call.
2. Now I try to start the process over and can't create a COM port in section #1. I assume it has to do with having changed the phone through section #2.
Any suggestion?

Chasryan
10-16-2012, 11:42 PM
HessterI realize this is an old thread. First, I'd like to say thank you, which people have not said enough. It's people like you that make it possible for people like me to do what we really need to do. I have a Droid X and Verizon and I have gone through a divorce. I got the X, V got money. I can't believe everyone doesn't see the value in having alternatives. Thanks again. I am about to try this rather adventurous task of yours. Going Metro. Think it still works.? Didn't see much from those who have tried. Maybe cause they were too busy asking why you provided it.! Fools. I'll report back here chief to let you know how it went, unless you advise otherwise. Congrats on writing a piece that will be here for ever. Regards, Charlie

drewx
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
thread worked wonders.....thanks abunch!!!

jennifer13
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I know this thread is old.. BUT THANK YOU so so much. I went to a local cell phone place today where the local idiot pretty much informed me of two things. For one I was a dumb girl who couldn't flash a phone and two that i should hand him over $150 because I was as equally gullible. This completely walked me thru it and I am so grateful. Everything seems to be working except the MMS messages out. I did not get the last .zip file in the last instructions. I have droid x bootstrap but I can not seem to find out where the .zip for cricket is and how to specifically save it to the sd card. But everything else was really simple and easy to understand. Thanks again. Awesome job!!!!

maybish
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
That's great! Glad you were able to do it yourself!

***May's pink Galaxy***

jennifer13
02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok.. So I am stuck on this MMS problem.. Still didn't run the .zip. Don't exactly know how to run it. Ergh. Can someone please help me to understand? LOL I saved it on sd and I have bootstrap... What next. Also the phone seems to be running really slow. Not the internet just opening apps and messages. Please help... Thanks so much.

sd_shadow
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
see [HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ds6tlVHsAy9ZwkswQ8OZdclJRfd3YPXVSQBc0ofsZQE/edit#)

I believe you flash it like a rom, I have removed the data wipe step, from the steps below

Click Droid 2 Bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery, click ok, then reboot recovery.
select wipe cache partition confirm Yes- Wipe Cache
Select Back arrow or press power button
select ‘Install zip from sd card’ (not apply sdcard: update.zip) use camera to select
select ‘choose zip from sd card (not apply sdcard: update.zip)use camera to select
Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
When install is done, select back arrow or press power, and select reboot.

Dwitm
08-13-2013, 10:03 AM
I want to flash to cricket on my rooted Droid x but do I need an account and or a cricket number?
Also,could I just unlock it and take it to either metropcs or cricket?
Sent from my rooted miui.us DROIDX using Droid X Forums

WANTAC1
03-07-2014, 05:33 PM
I just flashed a Verizon phone to Cricket. It is a Samsung Galaxi S4 mini. I cant use the Mobile Hotspot (Authentication Error); and I cant use the USB tethering. When connecting it to my laptop and windows website searches for drivers, the CDC Serial Drivers & 2 SAMSUNG_Android Drivers cannot be found. Will the above work on this phone?

sd_shadow
03-07-2014, 05:43 PM
I just flashed a Verizon phone to Cricket. It is a Samsung Galaxi S4 mini. I cant use the Mobile Hotspot (Authentication Error); and I cant use the USB tethering. When connecting it to my laptop and windows website searches for drivers, the CDC Serial Drivers & 2 SAMSUNG_Android Drivers cannot be found. Will the above work on this phone?This is a forum for the Motorola Droid X and X2, you may get better help from a forum that supports your device.