PDA

View Full Version : rooting question

jjfan71
02-25-2011, 11:12 PM
ok, my biggest gripe is the poor battery life. all i wanna do is root and whatever else it takes to improve batt life. my question is, if i just root and remove bloat, will that improve my battery life dramatically??? or is a new ROM a must??? thanx for any advice :big smile:

1KDS
02-25-2011, 11:19 PM
you will probably get some speed/battery improvements by removing (better yet, freezing) bloatware but the real benefits are found when you flash a new ROM

jjfan71
02-25-2011, 11:28 PM
you will probably get some speed/battery improvements by removing (better yet, freezing) bloatware but the real benefits are found when you flash a new ROMfreezing.....would that be with titanium??? is there a certain ROM you recommend??? thanx again

1KDS
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes freezing with titanium allows you to defrost/unfreeze apps in the case of an OTA update, if you don't have bloatware in tact the OTA will not install. I'm running ApeX at the moment and it is great, very fast and great battery life, some people posting screenshots with over 24 hours between charges. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html

jjfan71
02-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Yes freezing with titanium allows you to defrost/unfreeze apps in the case of an OTA update, if you don't have bloatware in tact the OTA will not install. I'm running ApeX at the moment and it is great, very fast and great battery life, some people posting screenshots with over 24 hours between charges. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.htmlthanx so much!!!! you've been a great help :big smile:

1KDS
02-25-2011, 11:47 PM
you bet, post up if you've got more questions or issues

jjfan71
02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
you bet, post up if you've got more questions or issuesone last question for now, so i have z4root, i downloaded apeX, now all i need is titanium and bootstrapper and i'll be good to go??? in the market they show 2 titaniums, i know i have to purchase one if i wanna freeze. do i need the free one also??

1KDS
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
you need the free ti first then the pro version is just the full feature unlock key. YOu might want to save a copy of your contacts to your sd card to be safe, contacts>menu>more>import/export>export to sd card, then you can import on the new ROM if googles doesn't sync them all back up. Check out the how to use bootstrap guide in my signature. Make a backup before flashing to ApeX.

jjfan71
02-26-2011, 04:45 PM
you need the free ti first then the pro version is just the full feature unlock key. YOu might want to save a copy of your contacts to your sd card to be safe, contacts>menu>more>import/export>export to sd card, then you can import on the new ROM if googles doesn't sync them all back up. Check out the how to use bootstrap guide in my signature. Make a backup before flashing to ApeX.will do.....thanx again!!!:big smile:

iserian
02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
You will need to experiment with different roms if you are looking for the best battery life. It really comes down to what you do with your x. If you have hundreds of exchange messages coming into your x daily battery life is what it is.

If you care about battery I suggest you also get the extended battery if you have not already done so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

jjfan71
02-26-2011, 11:49 PM
You will need to experiment with different roms if you are looking for the best battery life. It really comes down to what you do with your x. If you have hundreds of exchange messages coming into your x daily battery life is what it is.

If you care about battery I suggest you also get the extended battery if you have not already done so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum Appyes, i do have the extended battery already. once i go ahead and do my first ROM and feel comfortable, i will experiment with different ones. thanx for the suggestion :big smile:

Roooler
02-27-2011, 03:23 AM
If you honestly take time to configure your phone extremely well you will be shocked what you can get out of it.. I run liberty 1.5 and use the built in overclocker.. I have also went in and made my own custom sysctl changes / build prop / dirty bg ratio changes.. i pull on average 18hours of battery life with my STOCK battery..

Basically its a science and one that takes time to learn and understand.. Sorta like a car, you know when (assuming you are into your vehicles like myself) your car will pull the hardest at what rpm,gear, under certain conditions like if the weather is cooler, and so forth.

screen shot of my battery usage on a normal day.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/snap20110214_231758.png

Garemlin
02-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Moving to hacks

jjfan71
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
If you honestly take time to configure your phone extremely well you will be shocked what you can get out of it.. I run liberty 1.5 and use the built in overclocker.. I have also went in and made my own custom sysctl changes / build prop / dirty bg ratio changes.. i pull on average 18hours of battery life with my STOCK battery..

Basically its a science and one that takes time to learn and understand.. Sorta like a car, you know when (assuming you are into your vehicles like myself) your car will pull the hardest at what rpm,gear, under certain conditions like if the weather is cooler, and so forth.

screen shot of my battery usage on a normal day.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/snap20110214_231758.pngthat display usage is INCREDIBLE!!!!! right now, my usage reads 68% i hope to soon have numbers like yours rooler!!!! thanx

lynneddington
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey, im running apex 1.4.1 usuallly getting 20-24 hours on regular battery with moderate use.

nismoracer_206
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey im new to all this but I wanted to know what all is the rooting for and does I am rooted and how does people change the unlock key to differnt colors. And icons

mikeinrichmond
03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Here's some info for you..

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/20253-all-one-post-root-thread.html#post225830