PDA

View Full Version : HTC style dialer app... WANT ONE!



bobthebob
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
hey all - for the love of God - will someone PLEASE write one of these for Droid users?!?

I was playing with my buddy's Incredible yesterday and it's dialer KICKS OUR DIALER'S ASS!!
this is just my opinion of course - but the t9 style searching plus the Recent Calls and links to the Contacts etc etc etc - it's just a way way better design from a UX standpoint.

I'm learning to build Android apps at the present and would love to take this project on but it's just out of my depth for the moment.

there are of course other apps one can use - Dialer One, aTAKEphONE, RocketDialer - and I've tried them all.
each one has pros and cons but they all have to interface with either the Blur or AOSP dialer (whichever one you're running) and that makes them clumsy in my opinion.

what I would like to see is a Dialer/Contacts app built from the 'ground up' and integrated into a custom ROM - completely replacing the AOSP (or Blur) dialer.

basically - I want the HTC dialer. =7

anyone want to take a shot at this?

Snow02
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
The X dialer has t9 search. Recent calls, and contact tabs. I like the dialer. You on a rom or something?

bobthebob
02-25-2011, 02:09 AM
you know what? <sheepish grin> I am...

I've been running custom non-Blurry ROMs for so long now I forgot that the latest Dialer app actually does have t9!!
this was something that drove me crazy for the first few months I had my DX - I finally started using Dialer One and was relatively happy with it until I realized it wasn't returning accurate results!

anyway - I hereby eat my words!

(altho I still say that the HTC Dialer app is still slicker than ours, try it and tell me what you think)

Snow02
02-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Yeah. The dialer is one of my favorite blur elements. I tried a nonblurry rom - that lasted about a day. T9 in the dialer is a must for me too. And you're right, dialer one is not an acceptable substitute. I don't remember the last time I actually had to open my contacts.

bobthebob
02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah - I've been running Liberty for the last month - and while I love almost everything about it, the AOSP dialer is such a complete POS it's unreal. my old $20 Nokia 6010 was better at making calls...

so I started using Apex 1.4.1 - a Blurry ROM with the nice Blurry Dialer + all that neat Contact swiping for 'History' and 'Status Updates' for that contact (love that!).

unfortunately it wasn't long before Blur started annoying the crap out of me - not being able to control name and display of contacts linked to FB, not FINDING some of my FB friends to link to (90% of them show up, but not the other 10% for no reason I can see), and other quirks.

in the end I decided to go back to Liberty (for now) and I have to say that the only thing I miss is the Dialer/Contacts app... so I guess I should've posted this thread in the Liberty Forum with the title "HTC Dialer App - Liberty NEEDS One!!" /;-7

I've been using mostly RocketDialer and find it to be 'ok' - pretty good most of the time in fact but still not as good as the Blur Dialer. I sometimes use aTAKEphONE too - which despite having one of the stupidest names ever is actually a decent dialer as well.
I want to say real quick also, that aTAKEphONE's developer is really committed to making it a great product - I emailed him with some suggestions and he replied the next day (!) with a detailed response to each of my suggestions, many of which he agreed with. I think it could be a really great product if some changes were made, and it sounds like the dev is going to be making them!