PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Help a Total Noob Do a Smooth Warranty Replacement on a Rooted DX!!

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I will start out by admitting that I'm a total noob when it comes to the whole rooting/unrooting deal. I've spent a lot of time reading through other posts on many forums trying to gather all the information I need before posting here, but I'm still really quite confused. In any event, this is my first post, so please be gentle with me...

Here's my sitation--I recently took a chance and used z4root to root my Droid X. Fortunately, it went very smoothly for me. I then proceeded to download Titanium Backup Pro, which I used to freeze the bloatware and to schedule full backups of all apps and data to my SD card. Although I'm sure it's redundant, I also have MyBackUp Pro, which I've used to store all of my apps and data online, as well as BackUp Assistant to back up my contacts. I am using the stock ROM and haven't made any other changes that I can remember (other than a few settings in Launcherpro and Widgetlocker that optimize these apps for rooted phones).

Anyway, I've been experiencing a problem with my screen and Verizon is sending me a warranty replacement, which will be here tomorrow. I'm really confused as to the best way to unroot and "wipe" my current phone before sending it back (I don't want to be charged $600 for tampering with the software!), as well as the best and simplest procedure for getting everyting up and running on my new phone. Based on the information I have been able to gather so far, here's my plan of attack:

1. Use z4root to unroot my current DX.
2. Settings > SD card & phone storage > Unmount SD card on current DX.
3. Remove sd card from current DX and put it in my new DX, and vice versa.
4. Turn on new DX and go through steps to activate.
5. Once new DX is activated, do a factory reset (how?) on my current DX before sending it back to VZW.
6. Use Titanium Backup Pro (and/or MyBackUp Pro) to download all my apps and data (does data include my contacts?) to my new DX.
7. Use z4root to root the new DX.
8. Use LauncherPro to restore my homescreens (backed them up already).
9. Manually restore my widgets (LauncherPro apparently doesn't do this).
10. Send back my current DX and pray.

QUESTIONS:

1. Will this process be sufficient to wipe my current DX? I've read some other stuff online about doing some sort of flash thing, but I'd like to keep it simple since I never changed from the stock ROM.

2. I've heard that I can automatically repopulate all your apps (and data?) using my google account. Should I do this or would it be easier to skip it and simply restore from my SD card using Titanium Backup Pro (and/or MyBackUp Pro)? If I do both, will I wind up having duplicate apps and data?

3. Will my apps be set up correctly after restoring them to the new DX or will I have to go through and re-do all of my settings on each one?

Guys, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate any and all information that you can provide. Trust me, you will help me sleep better tonight if you decide to help me out.

Thank you SO much in advance!

CheeseNips
02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
1) Just to be safe, I would do a full SBF flash. there are threads around here with the correct procedure to SBF. Essentially it re-writes the hardware of your phone back to stock, no root, no rom, etc....making it impossible for verizon to say you ever f****d with it. I think there's a sticky at the top of the "Hacks" section with more info. Its may seem difficult but its really quite easy.

2) Your apps are backed up by Google, so when you log into your account on the new X, it should automatically download anything you downloaded from the market. But, the way you've outlined will work as well.

3) Unless you have a nandroid backup of your current system, you will have to re-set all settings. Nandroids are full system backups made through Clockwork, so, once you're rooted on the new one, you can go into Clockwork and restore a backup of the system on your current X if you want to transfer EVERYTHING at once.

Hope that helps.

Gorgarath
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I believe you want to switch steps 6 and 7.

Since you never installed Clockwork Recovery, that simplifies things and you won't have to remove that. To do a factory reset, power off the phone and then hold the home button and power button. This will give you a screen with an android with a triangle with an ! inside it over his head. Press the search button. Use the volume buttons to scroll to factory reset and use the camera button to select it. This will return your X to original factory settings.

Your contacts should be synced with either your Google account if you synced them to Google, or to your Backup Assistant account if you synced them that way.

Answers:
1. Yes, this should be sufficient.
2. If you're running stock, I believe you can just use TiBU.
3. Since you're using TiBU, you would only have to restore your widgets and stuff I believe.

If you have any more questions, just ask and someone will be able to help you out. :)

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
This is what I would do in your situation:

Download and install Droid X Bootstrap
Boot to Clokwork with Bootstrap and create a backup
Download Terminal Emulator
Follow this guide http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html to unroot (#3 manual method)
...I prefer manual because it's safe, easy, and you know without doubt that 100% of root files have been removed (and you learn a little bit)
Root new phone with z4root
Install Droid X Bootstrap and boot to Clockwork
Restore your backup

Your new phone is set up EXACTLY like the old one was with minimal effort and the old one is safe to return to big red.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Gorgarath
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Follow this guide http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html to unroot (#3 manual method)
...I prefer manual because it's safe, easy, and you know without doubt that 100% of root files have been removed (and you learn a little bit)
Restore your backup

Your new phone is set up EXACTLY like the old one was with minimal effort and the old one is safe to return to big red.

+1 this actually probably would be the easiest route to go if you want your new phone to run exactly like your old one. Make a nandroid backup of your current setup and restore it on the new phone.

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Restore your backup

I would LOVE to have my new phone set up exactly like my old one, but all of this is way over my head. So unrooting with z4root won't do the trick?

The only thing I found in the Market is called "Droid X Recovery Bootstrap" for $2. Should I just download this or will I need Clockwork too? Is it user-friendly and self-explanatory?

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Un-rooting and and then un-installing Z4 will remove all traces of root. The Bootstrap/Clockwork mod is only if you want to make an image backup of your current phone to restore to your new phone. There is a video posted by DebianDog that explains that process very well.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Z4root SHOULD but I think I remember reading somewhere that some file was left on the phone....that VZW would probably never find...but could. Don't hold me to that, but I personally would feel more safe doing the above method.

My method is really not hard at all. It would cost you $2 for DXB. Once installed, press bootstrap recovery, it'll say success, press ok, then press reboot recovery. You're phone will reboot to recovery.

Now use your volumes buttons to select backup/restore, use the camera to confirm selection, select backup and the phone will begin processing. Once complete, press back to return to the main screen, press camera button on reboot and the phone will reboot normally....ALL DONE.

Now to unroot, the Terminal app is free. The guide tells you every single command to enter. It's a bit tedious to enter the commands but fail proof. Just enter each one and press enter. If you had no typos, it will skip to the next line. If anything is entered incorrectly, it will not process that command and give you an error so you know to re-enter it. If you have ANY problems or last minute fears, post them and someone will help you out.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes thats the right app...its very simple

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Z4Root does not leave traces, it's Bootsrap Recovery/Clockwork mod that has to be manually removed.

Here's a link to the video I mentioned, a good place to start. That and RooOlers guid are all anyone should need

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
The last step to removing you data from the old phone would be Menu Key~Settings~Privacy~Factory Data Reset. I've had to return 4 phones, the last two rooted and rom'd, and have had no issues.

esquire
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Not trying to hijack, but I have a question. Does madderstock zip do all this stuff? I flashed it and got back to stock before flashing liberty. I thought it took you back to stock completely.

WindyCity1014
Z4root SHOULD but I think I remember reading somewhere that some file was left on the phone....that VZW would probably never find...but could. Don't hold me to that, but I personally would feel more safe doing the above method.

My method is really not hard at all. It would cost you $2 for DXB. Once installed, press bootstrap recovery, it'll say success, press ok, then press reboot recovery. You're phone will reboot to recovery.

Now use your volumes buttons to select backup/restore, use the camera to confirm selection, select backup and the phone will begin processing. Once complete, press back to return to the main screen, press camera button on reboot and the phone will reboot normally....ALL DONE.

Now to unroot, the Terminal app is free. The guide tells you every single command to enter. It's a bit tedious to enter the commands but fail proof. Just enter each one and press enter. If you had no typos, it will skip to the next line. If anything is entered incorrectly, it will not process that command and give you an error so you know to re-enter it. If you have ANY problems or last minute fears, post them and someone will help you out.

Thanks for all this great info! You guys are extremely cool to help me like this!

As for unrooting/rooting, I think I'll take a chance and keep things simple for me by using z4root rather than manual. Hopefully VZW won't go to all the trouble to try to find that file you were speaking of, especially since my warranty issue involves a defective screen rather than a software issue.

Anyway, I just downloaded DXB and followed your instructions exactly. Everything went smoothly. So now all I have to do after activating my new phone is to root it, download DBX and do the restore method? Everything will be put on my new phone exactly as it is now? That would just be too easy--there's gotta be a catch, right?

WindyCity1014
The last step to removing you data from the old phone would be Menu Key~Settings~Privacy~Factory Data Reset. I've had to return 4 phones, the last two rooted and rom'd, and have had no issues.

Will do, thank you cynkrzy!!

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Z4Root does not leave traces, it's Bootsrap Recovery/Clockwork mod that has to be manually removed.

Here's a link to the video I mentioned, a good place to start. That and RooOlers guid are all anyone should need

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html

OK, how do I manually remove DBX from my old phone then?

Gorgarath
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Not trying to hijack, but I have a question. Does madderstock zip do all this stuff? I flashed it and got back to stock before flashing liberty. I thought it took you back to stock completely.

maderstcok doesn't remove ClockWork, but other than that it brings you to the latest stock version.

--
Tapatalked from my X.

esquire
02-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh ok thanks for sayin.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 11:43 AM
OK, how do I manually remove DBX from my old phone then?

Unfortunately, since you installed DXB, you now have Clockwork. You can unistall DBX but some files WILL now be left on your phone if you simply unroot with z4root. Sry I complicated this for you but you will need to manually unroot or do an sbf (manually is easier and less risky).

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Again, it is tedious but there isn't any real risk or messing anything up. I've used that guide several times and I can confirm that it works.

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
These instruction are to remove the traces of Bootsrap/Clockwork mod after you un-install the Bootstrap application and BEFORE you un-root. You must be rooted to do this.

Here's the link to the complete guide - read the section on un-rooting
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

here are the instructions from the guide;
->Remove Clockworkmod<-
- su
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/bin/logwrapper
- rm /system/bin/hijack
- cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot

if you search the hacking section there is another method using an app called Root Explorer, a little simpler but the same effect

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Tell ya what....if your scared to use the commands let me know and I will explain exactly (best I can) what each command does to try and ease your fear.

Droid-Xer
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Do you have Root Explorer? if so just follow post #2 of my bootstrap guide. CLick on it in my sig.

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Tell ya what....if your scared to use the commands let me know and I will explain exactly (best I can) what each command does to try and ease your fear.

Do you have Root Explorer? if so just follow post #2 of my bootstrap guide. CLick on it in my sig.

All of you guys couldn't be more helpful. I cannot thank you enough!

I'm starting to get it now. The bottom line is that I need to uninstall BDX first, then use either the Root Explorer or manual method to actually remove any traces of it, as well as the Superuser app (i.e., the stuff we don't want VZW to see). Does that sound right?

By thw way, will the Root Explorer method remove only BDX or will it also remove SU at the same time like the manual method?

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
To sum up all this info, here is my revised plan:

1. Use BDX to create a nandroid backup of my old DX on my SD card (already done).
2. Settings > SD card & phone storage > Unmount SD card on old DX.
3. Remove SD card from old DX and put it in my new DX, and vice versa.
5. Download z4root on new DX, use it to root.
6. Download and use BDX on my new DX to restore everything.
---> NEW DX SHOULD NOW BE GOOD TO GO*

*Is this all I will have to do here? Can I expect that my new phone will look and run exactly like my old one, with all apps, homescreens, contacts, data and settings intact?

WIPE MY OLD DX BEFORE SENDING IT BACK TO VZW:

1. Use Uninstaller to uninstall BDX on my old DX.
2. Use Terminal Emulator and input all commands to manually wipe BDX and SU (or Root Explorer method to do the same thing).
3. Do a Factory Reset (will this reset everything as it originally was when the phone was first activated, including the bloatware I previously "froze" with Titanium Backup Pro?)
4. Send back my old DX and pray I've done everything correctly.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything at all.

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
A couple of things

On the new phone. As soon as you have rooted and have bootstrap recovery installed. Make a backup (through clockworkmod) of the "Virgin" new phone. Makes it so much easier to go back if you have a problem. After you restore your backup of your previous phone, EVERYTHING will be there, you won't have to download or install anything, It'll be just like you left off with the old one, except the problem will be gone :)

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
A couple of things

On the new phone. As soon as you have rooted and have bootstrap recovery installed. Make a backup (through clockworkmod) of the "Virgin" new phone. Makes it so much easier to go back if you have a problem. After you restore your backup of your previous phone, EVERYTHING will be there, you won't have to download or install anything, It'll be just like you left off with the old one, except the problem will be gone :)

Cool. OK, so here's what I've got:

1. Use BDX to create a nandroid backup of my old DX on my SD card (already done).
2. Settings > SD card & phone storage > Unmount SD card on old DX.
3. Remove SD card from old DX and put it in my new DX, and vice versa.
5. Download z4root on new DX, use it to root.
6. Download BDX to my new DX, run a backup of the "virgin" phone.
7. Use BDX to restore the backup from my old DX (I assume that I'll be able to tell which one to use by the file name?).

Couple of more things and then I'll shut up for the day:

1. I keep hearing about this sbf flash thing--do I need to do it on my old phone or will the above steps do what I need? Remember, I never changed from the stock ROM.

2. Now that I'm using BDX, is there any reason to keep doing backups via Titanium Backup and MyBackUp? The only reason I can think of would be that you have to do backups manually on BDX, whereas TB and MBU automatically do scheduled backups of my apps and data. In other words, TB or MBU would seem to be easiest if I need to do a quick restore on my phone for some reason, while BDX is more comprehensive and easier when switching between phones or ROMS. Am I correct?

I just want to add that this kind of stuff can be very intimidating for people just getting into this stuff such as myself. I did my due diligence with extensive net research, but much of the info I could find was scattered around and seemed to be inapplicable to my particular situation. Because of the information you guys have so generously shared with me here, I am no longer freaking out and feel confident that I can get the job done when my new phone arrives tomorrow. Once again, thank you very much.

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
No you shouldn't need to SBF! removing Bootstrap, un-rooting, resetting the phone through privacy settings afterward are all you need. I've done this twice and haven't heard a peep from Verizon.

Titanium has it's uses. There may be a time when you want to restore your "Virgin" backup and maybe flash a new rom or something and then restore your apps and their data using titanium.

The knowledge you're gaining will serve you well and reduces the intimidation factor. In the hacking section there are some really well written guides. RooOers, and DroidX's along with DebianDog's videos are complete and very well done, and eliminate the need to search through myriad threads for just about everything you need

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Titanium has it's uses. There may be a time when you want to restore your "Virgin" backup and maybe flash a new rom or something and then restore your apps and their data using titanium.

Oh I get it. So you need to restore your apps and data anytime you flash a new ROM? Tell you what, if I get though this unscathed maybe I'll have enough confidence to plunge into the world of new ROMS somewhere down the road. ; )

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
By restoring your backup, your essentially flashing a rom...just a stock one that's pretty much the same as the one your replacing. A couple more notes:

Using root explorer or "files", navigate to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup. You should see a single file with a bunch of numbers and letters. I recommend renaming it to something like 2011.24.02.Stock2.2.1OldPhone. Take close note that I used no spaces or special characters. If you use them, your phone cannot restore the backup. When you make a backup of the new phone I'd name it something similar but change old to new.

Depending on how old your phone is, you may have a class 2, 16gb sd card. The new phone will most likely have a class 4. If so, it's a faster card and worth the time to move the files to it. You could probably hang on to both cards and Verizon not say anything...your call.

As stated before, Titanium is a great tool for changing roms. Since the phone is essentially stock after flashing one (just modified software) Titanium will allow you to restore all of your apps and data (games scores, etc) and leave off anything you don't want (system settings, etc)

When you restore the backup to the new rom, I recommend wiping data and wiping cache first. Most likely not doing this would have no ill affects since you're going from a stock rom to a stock rom, but it's good practice and an extra precaution.

I think you're set. Good luck and we expect to hear how it goes!

Droid-Xer
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Correct. When you flash a rom you have to wipe data/cache and the rom wipes system. So you're basically starting with a new phone.

cynkrzy
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
The replacement phones don't come with an SD card, battery or battery cover...

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
No you shouldn't need to SBF! removing Bootstrap, un-rooting, resetting the phone through privacy settings afterward are all you need. I've done this twice and haven't heard a peep from Verizon.

The knowledge you're gaining will serve you well and reduces the intimidation factor. In the hacking section there are some really well written guides. RooOers, and DroidX's along with DebianDog's videos are complete and very well done, and eliminate the need to search through myriad threads for just about everything you need

+1. Sbf's are way over used. They are intended as a last resort option. I have never used one because my phone has never been in a state where I can't reach recovery mode to fix it. If/when the day comes, I'll be glad they're out there.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
The replacement phones don't come with an SD card, battery or battery cover...

Doh! My wife just got a "certified pre-owned" aka "refurb" so that was fresh in my mind.

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Using root explorer or "files", navigate to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup. You should see a single file with a bunch of numbers and letters. I recommend renaming it to something like 2011.24.02.Stock2.2.1OldPhone. Take close note that I used no spaces or special characters. If you use them, your phone cannot restore the backup. When you make a backup of the new phone I'd name it something similar but change old to new.

Depending on how old your phone is, you may have a class 2, 16gb sd card. The new phone will most likely have a class 4. If so, it's a faster card and worth the time to move the files to it. You could probably hang on to both cards and Verizon not say anything...your call.

As stated before, Titanium is a great tool for changing roms. Since the phone is essentially stock after flashing one (just modified software) Titanium will allow you to restore all of your apps and data (games scores, etc) and leave off anything you don't want (system settings, etc)

When you restore the backup to the new rom, I recommend wiping data and wiping cache first. Most likely not doing this would have no ill affects since you're going from a stock rom to a stock rom, but it's good practice and an extra precaution.

I think you're set. Good luck and we expect to hear how it goes!

1. I already changed the name to "OldDX-2-24-2011". Will that work?

2. I'm sorry, but I find this whole BDX vs. Titanium deal to be a bit confusing. I thought using DBX to restore my backup on my new phone will automatically take of restoring all my apps and data. I thought this process was supposed to make my new phone look and run EXACTLY like my old one. So why would I also need to run a Titanium backup on my new phone?

3. When you suggest that I wipe the data and cache before I "restore the backup to the new rom", do you mean when I restore the backup to my replacement DX? If so, how do I wipe the data and cache before restoring the backup?

See, you're nice enough to offer some more info and all you get are more questions in return. ; )

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
1. I already changed the name to "OldDX-2-24-2011". Will that work?

2. I'm sorry, but I find this whole BDX vs. Titanium deal to be a bit confusing. I thought using DBX to restore my backup on my new phone will automatically take of restoring all my apps and data. I thought this process was supposed to make my new phone look and run EXACTLY like my old one. So why would I also need to run a Titanium backup on my new phone?

3. When you suggest that I wipe the data and cache before I "restore the backup to the new rom", do you mean when I restore the backup to my replacement DX? If so, how do I wipe the data and cache before restoring the backup?

See, you're nice enough to offer some more info and all you get are more questions in return. ; )

1. Thats fine.
2. DBX will restore the entire rom, all apps w/ data, and all settings. TB only restores apps w/ data and settings (in most cases you don't want to restore them). You want need TB if you only restore the stock rom. It's needed if you flash a custom rom. Again, it's easier to think of the stock setup as a rom. Flashing a different changes everything so you only want apps and data.
3. They're on the main screen in Clockwork. Select one, confirm, select the other, and confirm. I meant to say phone. Wiping data cleans the phone completely (no rom at all) so the next rom will not clash with the one that was previously on it.

The best way to think of your phone is like a tiny computer that can run different software (windows, unbuntu, etc) but you can't install one over the other.

(Some wise guy will say something about dual booting)

Gorgarath
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
With the beauty of nandroid backups I multiboot a bunch of ROMs using clockwork as a boot manager...

Sorry, I had to. Lol

--
Tapatalked from my X.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
With the beauty of nandroid backups I multiboot a bunch of ROMs using clockwork as a boot manager...

Sorry, I had to. Lol

--
Tapatalked from my X.

I actually did dual boot my last device (HTC Eris). The sd card was partitoned 5 times (for /system, /data, /cache, and storage for 2 different roms). The devs wrote a script for gscript to boot between a 2.1 and 2.2 rom.

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
1. Thats fine.
2. DBX will restore the entire rom, all apps w/ data, and all settings. TB only restores apps w/ data and settings (in most cases you don't want to restore them). You want need TB if you only restore the stock rom. It's needed if you flash a custom rom. Again, it's easier to think of the stock setup as a rom. Flashing a different changes everything so you only want apps and data.
3. They're on the main screen in Clockwork. Select one, confirm, select the other, and confirm. I meant to say phone. Wiping data cleans the phone completely (no rom at all) so the next rom will not clash with the one that was previously on it.

The best way to think of your phone is like a tiny computer that can run different software (windows, unbuntu, etc) but you can't install one over the other.

(Some wise guy will say something about dual booting)

OK, so I will not have to worry about doing a Titanium restore at this point.

Finally, if I understand you correctly, I should get to the "Reboot Recovery" green screen on BDX, select "wipe data/factory reset", then select "wipe cache partition", THEN proceed with the restore - correct? Somebody suggested that I start by making a backup of my "virgin" phone before restoring my backup to it. When should I wipe the cache and data (before, in between or after doing the virgin backup and restore)?

LAST QUESTIONS FOR TONIGHT--PROMISE!

Droid-Xer
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
If you're restoring a backup, there's no need to wipe anything. Only wipe data/cache when switching ROMs.

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
If you plan on making a virgin backup you should do it before performing any wipes. If you wipe first you want have anything left to backup. :-)

WindyCity1014
02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
If you're restoring a backup, there's no need to wipe anything. Only wipe data/cache when switching ROMs.

If you plan on making a virgin backup you should do it before performing any wipes. If you wipe first you want have anything left to backup. :-)

OK, so I guess I got sidetracked when we started talking about ROM's. Since I'm simply backing up from one stock ROM to another on the new DX, I don't need to do the data/cache wipe then? I'll just do a virgin backup and then the restore as originally planned.

One more thing. Forgetting about backups and restoring with DBX for a second, I've heard that google normally repopulates your downloaded apps when you switch phones. How and when does this happen during the activation process? Should I skip it since I'm rooting and doing the DBX restore, which should put all my apps back on the new phone. I don't want duplicate apps or extra stuff taking up memory unnecessarily.

Thanks again guys!

Droid-Xer
02-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Correct just restore a backup. No need to wipe.

joshw0000
02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
OK, so I guess I got sidetracked when we started talking about ROM's. Since I'm simply backing up from one stock ROM to another on the new DX, I don't need to do the data/cache wipe then? I'll just do a virgin backup and then the restore as originally planned.

One more thing. Forgetting about backups and restoring with DBX for a second, I've heard that google normally repopulates your downloaded apps when you switch phones. How and when does this happen during the activation process? Should I skip it since I'm rooting and doing the DBX restore, which should put all my apps back on the new phone. I don't want duplicate apps or extra stuff taking up memory unnecessarily.

Thanks again guys!

You don't HAVE to wipe to restore a backup as the backup itself will do it for you before restoring. Like I said, I try to give good habit advice to noobs and wiping data/cache cannot and will not have any ill affects. If you can remember to wipe data/cache before installing custom roms (if/when you do) then that's great. But if flash a custom rom without wiping it will most certainly have problems. For this reason, it's easier to tell people to always wipe then to say wipe when flashing a rom but not when restoring a backup.

Google syncs your apps (no data), contacts, and calendar after initial setup ONLY if you have allowed it to back them up. Check settings > privacy to see if both boxes are selected. Honestly it doesn't matter if you allow the sync on your first initial setup on the new phone or not. You'll be immediately wiping the phone and restoring the backup. Back to my original point, when people don't fully understand what wiping does I try to teach them best practices so they wont have future problems if/when they're brave enough to do it on their own. :-)

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Google syncs your apps (no data), contacts, and calendar after initial setup ONLY if you have allowed it to back them up. Check settings > privacy to see if both boxes are selected. Honestly it doesn't matter if you allow the sync on your first initial setup on the new phone or not. You'll be immediately wiping the phone and restoring the backup. Back to my original point, when people don't fully understand what wiping does I try to teach them best practices so they wont have future problems if/when they're brave enough to do it on their own. :-)

OK, bottom line it for me - should I do a data wipe/factory reset and cache wipe (between the virgin backup and restoring from my old phone) or is it unnecessary in this instance? If I do the google sync without the wipe and then restore, will I wind up with duplicate apps, contacts and calendar? In other words, should I just skip the google sync or is there any reason you would recommend it?

joshw0000
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
OK, bottom line it for me - should I do a data wipe/factory reset and cache wipe (between the virgin backup and restoring from my old phone) or is it unnecessary in this instance? If I do the google sync without the wipe and then restore, will I wind up with duplicate apps, contacts and calendar? In other words, should I just skip the google sync or is there any reason you would recommend it?

I would recommend the sync for your knowledge only. It will give you a better idea of how the phone will sync if you ever decide a flash a custom rom. When you restore your back up, your phone will be wiped clean first, therefore, you will not have duplicate apps regardless of if you sync with google. If you chooses to perform wipes (which are not required for this instance) you would do them after creating the backup and before restoring your first backup.

In short, your end result will be the same regardless of if you allow google to sync the new phone and regardless of if you choose to wipe the phone after creating the virgin backup / before restoring original backup. Either way, your phone will be exactly how it was the day you created the backup without any duplicates whatsoever.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
If it's all the same result, I think I'll skip the google sync and wipe steps to keep things as simple as possible. However, I am going to take your advice and do the manual unroot via Terminal Emulator, rather than z4root, just to be safe. On that note, will a factory reset automatically delete all my downloaded apps on my old DX, including my "root only" apps like Titanium and Bootstrap, or will I have to go in and manually uninstall them as a final step before sending it back to VZW?

The information you have provided has been invaluable. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes once I'm done. Thanks again!

kradebaugh
02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
I did a replacement. All I did was use the maderstcok.zip sent it back and got a text later saying they received my defective phone. So that worked perfectly.

joshw0000
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
A factory reset will delete your downloaded apps. DXB will be unistalled before you unroot (its part of the instructions). You need to unfreeze any frozen system apps before you unroot because a factory/data reset only wipes the /data folder (user download folder) and the /system folder is untouched (where system apps are installed - non-rooted users cannot alter this folder). You shouldn't have any problems with new phone or return.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 10:12 AM
A factory reset will delete your downloaded apps. DXB will be unistalled before you unroot (its part of the instructions). You need to unfreeze any frozen system apps before you unroot because a factory/data reset only wipes the /data folder (user download folder) and the /system folder is untouched (where system apps are installed - non-rooted users cannot alter this folder). You shouldn't have any problems with new phone or return.

You answered everything for me. I'm ready to go!

joshw0000
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Good luck!

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Not a good start! I started by putting my SD card and new battery into the new DX and it's stuck on the "M" screen! I can't even done anything yet!

I tried pulling the battery but it didn't help. What do I do?

EDIT - I pulled the SD card and put it back in and this seemed to do the trick, but now I'm on a homescreen with no instructions. Just a blue triangle in the notification bar. This isn't exactly user friendly activation. What do I do now?

fc127
02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Go ahead and activate, then add your Google account. All of your contacts and apps should come back.

Sent from my Liberated DX

Gorgarath
02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Dial *228 and follow the prompts to activate. Then I would root, install bootstrapper and flash maderstcok to make sure your phone has all the updates.

After rebooting with maderstcok, you will need to activate again, though this time you should get the normal press the android to activate screen. After that, re-root again, install bootstrap and then restore your backup from your old phone.

--
Tapatalked from my X.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I did the *228 and everything worked. I have now rooted, installed BDX and have begun a virgin backup. I don't know what maderstcok is and I wasn't aware that I needed to do this.

As far as the virgin backup goes, I noticed that it's backing up my puchased apps - I thought this was supposed to only back up the phone as it exists out of the box. I guess I must have done the google sync.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
HOLY ******, IT WORKED!!! :excited:

I haven't started wiping my old phone yet, but everything worked perfectly! I know for a fact that I could not have done this without you (especially joshw0000). THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
UH OH, I spoke too soon. I entered the commands exactly on Terminal Emulator exactly as directed, but once I typed in "reboot" the phone went into some kind of endless boot loop (going back and forth between the droid eye and the word "DROID". Any ideas?

I even tried putting the phone into Recovery Mode and doing a data/cache wipe, but that didn't work either.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Guys? Don't abandon a brother now! ; )

fc127
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
You will probably have to sbf. Or can you get into clockwork recovery?

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
You will probably have to sbf. Or can you get into clockwork recovery?

I think I can, by holding down the hard "HOME" key, right? I used this to try a data and cache wipe earlier, to no avail. Also, I noticed that the sdcard/update.zip file couldn't be located, if that helps...

fc127
02-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Likely that is from stock recovery... So it looks like you will need to sbf.

I am sending this from my phone, so I can't provide links. Search the forums for the Droid x sbf file that matches the version you are on now. It is likely to be 2.3.340, but not sure about your phone.

I think Roller has a good post about how to sbf. Check for "Rooler's guide to root and rom" or something to that effect.

Read the sbf directions very carefully, make sure you download all of the proper stuff and be patient when it is working.

WindyCity1014
02-25-2011, 11:07 PM
OK, I can't believe I had the guts to actually try this, but flashed the SBF with RSDLite and got my phone out of the boot loop! Now it's like a brand new phone--the screen with the Android guy tells you to make the call to activate, etc. I tried to get into the apps to whether Superuser and the other "root only apps" are gone, but it won't let me unless I activate, which I don't want to do since I already activated my replacement DX.

After flashing the SBF, I went back in, did a factory reset/data wipe and rebooted. Stupid question time--am I correct in thinking that I am now officially unrooted? Is the phone safe to send back to VZW?

Droid-Xer
02-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Yes you are unrooted and 100% stock.

joshw0000
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, it sucks you had to sbf but yes, you are completely stock, unrooted, and safe to return to verizon. Keep the sbf files on you pc as your "safety blanket". You're officially no longer a noob. I've never even sbf'ed.

If you're brave enough to try custom roms in the future note that if you ever get caught in a bootloop and DXB is installed, a battery pull and reboot will typically send you to Clockwork. If several battery pulls wont do it, pull the battery, hold home+power until you see the exclamation point, release and press search. A data/cache wipe here will typically do the trick.

Glad it all worked out in the end!

saul1991
05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
ok i have the same question as windcity104
but im using this method to unistall bootstrap
How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through ROOT EXPLORER

Uninstall bootstrap app first
1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
a) system/bin/logwrapper.bin
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

johngrahamiii
09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
OK so I see a lot of options here. If I have not used Bootstrap or Clockwork what is the easiest and most effective way to do this so I can return a phone? \

Here's a link to the video I mentioned, a good place to start. That and BootOlers guide are all anyone should need

HarleyDude
09-02-2011, 06:09 AM
OK so I see a lot of options here. If I have not used Bootstrap or Clockwork what is the easiest and most effective way to do this so I can return a phone? \

You do an SBF.
It's very easy, follow the link in my sig

as_daylight_dies
09-04-2011, 01:21 AM
SBF is the only sure-fire way to make sure u didn't miss anything and that verizon won't detect anything. Plus it's easier. Plus you should know how to do it if you plan to root your new droid =)

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.8.19

johngrahamiii
09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
if z4root does not leave traces do I have to sbf? I have an unreliable usb connection with the current phone and am afraid of loosing the connection during flash, I have other rooted apps: Android SS, supermanager, wireless tether, keeper, and z4root. Do I have to worry about any of these apps after uninstalling z4root

johngrahamiii
09-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Uninstall
Android SS,
wireless tether,
Keeper

Remove traces
Supermanager
Unroot
z4root

I will be OK if I have to reinstall from Google so I do not have Titanium BU, no Clockwork, no Bootstrap

Is this OK

as_daylight_dies
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Uninstall
Android SS,
wireless tether,
Keeper

Remove traces
Supermanager
Unroot
z4root

I will be OK if I have to reinstall from Google so I do not have Titanium BU, no Clockwork, no Bootstrap

Is this OK

Honestly man your taking a big risk. Just SBF. If you have an unreliable usb connection just keep trying the SBF until it goes through. You'll be happy you did instead of getting slapped with a huge fine from verizon. Also, if you have had trouble with sbf in the past, try the linux sbf it has never failed me once.

jwalz
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Use someone else's computer hgere is the easy sbf method
http://wugfresh.com/dev/sbfboot/

I'm just simply stunning

johngrahamiii
09-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I have done z4root uninstall and before that all rooted apps. I have burned unbuntu to cd and put .sbf_flash and the .sbf file on USB. Running is try mode I get errors for both USB and CD boots. What do you suggest?

PS - what makes a stickie

johngrahamiii
09-06-2011, 11:58 PM
So I have tried three methods and none are working. Boy i hate being a newbie. Tried burning all to a Flash drive, and DVD. Unbuntu burned to DVD and flash and am running out of time. Suggestions?

as_daylight_dies
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi John. No need for a Linux install or RSD Lite anymore thanks to Wugfresh's new SBFboot utility. Search google for "wugfresh sbfboot" and follow the simple instructions.

johngrahamiii
09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Hello as daylight,

I have tried sbfboot multiple times but I can't get the boot menu to show on reboot. On install I get Sbfroot

Unetbootin

Can't find enetbtin\emtxfile.exe

Then it says install complete but no menu option appears. What can I do?

as_daylight_dies
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Hello as daylight,

I have tried sbfboot multiple times but I can't get the boot menu to show on reboot. On install I get Sbfroot

Unetbootin

Can't find enetbtin\emtxfile.exe

Then it says install complete but no menu option appears. What can I do?

Wish I knew. I haven't ever actually used this method to SBF because I haven't found any reason to SBF since I installed MIUI =) I would try to post on the sbfboot thread. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance...

1KDS
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Try the original ezSBF link in my signature.

From the X

johngrahamiii
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Here is what I finally did. I used the Wugfresh's new SBFboot utility from another laptop and it worked. Then re-set to factory and am now setting up the other phone. It appears that Z4root is no longer in the marketplace. Any other recommendations?

johngrahamiii
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you all very much. This has been quite an education!

1KDS
09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
You can find z4 in the hacks section, it is a sticky thread.

From the X

nintendom1
09-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Heyo,

I used clockwork mod and z4 root to install the APEX 1.4.1 ROM and it was good for a while then half my screen went out. I want to use the warranty replacement. Would SBFing back to stock (Froyo 2.3.340) using RSD Lite 5.3.1 all I would need to do to have it safely exchanged or are there any other considerations?

I really appreciate anyone's input in this. Thanks.

1KDS
09-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes, you need to SBF, check out the link in my signature, we have a whole SBF section.

nintendom1
09-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Wow, that was a fast reply. Thanks for the response; I'm gonna go ahead and follow the guide and I'll let everyone know how my warranty exchange went.

nintendom1
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys for your help. I was able to send it back without any problems.

1KDS
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
good deal!