PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone with min.exp.root

Tampafldummy
02-24-2011, 06:56 AM
I have had my dx for about 3 months.I have a good working knowledge of how the phone worls but am afraid of some of the things I read mostly from this awesome site almost 2 much info! I wanted to know with no bs am I taken a chance with this (root) or is it something that I can pretty much get walked through if need be? Wife has same phone, maybe I should try hers first! Lol

Tampafldummy
02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I mainly want to do this for ps3 access like I was told it could when purchased...with a boat load more money

aceunderfire
02-24-2011, 07:14 AM
If your trying to root just download z4root. Place on your SD card. Make sure to check allow install of unknown sources (its in settings / application's) then use root explorer or any file explorer and go to the SD card and install z4root. When its done hit the home button and go into your app drawer and run z4root. Walla you are rooted. You can unroot using same app to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

aceunderfire
02-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Once rooted you need to install Droid X Bootstrapper. When you need to install something from recovery or do a nandroid back up just run boot strapper. When you open the app just hit the top button then when it says success hit the bottom button. It will reboot into recovery. I suggest making a nandroid back up if your going to start messing with the phone. While in recovery your volume keys move you up and down and your camera button selects. To go back use your power button.

Tampafldummy
02-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Thank you,some of my concerns were I read If you delete an app you can't update your phone, I just started a2 year contract don't want to b stuck with no phone.it doesn't appear that hard and I guess if rooted don't need upgrades if I do mess up is it curtains for the phone? Or this a pretty mild step?I was going to hard reboot prior to trying this when I fist got the phone I downloaded everything and after cleaning it up it still doesn't seem quite right is that ok? I am using the trial of my backup to tty the hard reboot all this computer is a little overwhelming I just wanted to make sure it was fairly simple? Thank you for your help,

aceunderfire
02-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Rooting is very mild and no need to reset before. If you look through the forums you can get your phone restored if you ever brick it.... if you use z4root it shouldn't hurt anything.... a excellent back up tool to use is titanium backup it will back up all apps and system data. But you still need a nandroid back up. If you do something wrong just reboot into recovery and restore from your nandeoid back up. There is tutorials on everything here. Z4root is very simple. You need anything just pm me.

aceunderfire
02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
After rooting and installing Droid x bootstrapper make sure to do a nandroid back up before anything else so u have a good restore point if anything goes wrong when Modding the phone.

Tampafldummy
02-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your time! time to upgrade!

joshw0000
02-24-2011, 07:52 AM
It's almost impossible to brick this phone. IF something goes really bad wrong and you can't boot it, hook itnto your pc and use an sbf to recover it. You CAN update your phone if you remove system apps. That's why you make an initial backup after rooting...you forgot to make this back....or you accidentally deleted this backup....and you need to send it back to Verizon??? Download and flash maderstcok. You're phone is stock again.

Really, it's fail-proof. Once your phone is rooted, you'll want to do your wife's, cousin's, and next door neighbors. I've even started jailbreaking iphones...just to get that rush again. The X was just too easy.

ToeJamm57
02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
There are two links in my post signature (bottom in red letters). One is a video created by Debian Dog that is a sure-fire step-by-step rooting/rom guide.
If it hasn't been said - understand that rooting voids your warranty and you will need to un-root before taking the phone to claim insurance coverage.

I had the same fears you have and I have not regretted making the change. I have also gotten into a bit of trouble (several times). Each time there were people/posts on this forum that helped me get through the problem and I learned quite a bit along the way.

Tampafldummy
02-24-2011, 05:02 PM
There is still a few issues I have one is like I said before I have no gps working currently and phone seems ridiculously slow and I've backed everything up yesterday in planning to system restore today while I was making sure I was going to do it right I stumbled accepts the root process. The other is I have no computer this is why I purchased this phone to do everything in one, I was told I had the ability to run ps3 off phone at no extra cost.so I wanted to make sure I didn't mess anything up.should I reboot I have tried everything to get gps on and to get my speed back up or once I root will it fix my issues? As I stated before I'm not a computer guy and don't know much about software however I am a licenced electrician and am no dummy either. I have been reading about how to root and am pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem I'm just not sure what to do or what NOT to do if I have any issues and this site really makes you feel nothing is impossible. Thanks again for all your help!

fasthair
02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Root will not fix your GPS issue. If the GPS isn't working now I would head to Verizon and have them take a look at it but do not root before you do that. All root really does it give you, in PC terms, Administrator Rights or in Android speak, Super User rights. Other than that rooting does nothing else to the phone. It's what you do after you root is when the problems can happen. Root doesn't fix or break anything.

fasthair