PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder freeze and(or) reboot while recording

xpbr2000
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello I've searched and found no real clue to what may be my issue. When i first purchased my phone, I didn't have this problem. so I'm searching for the cause of this.

ISSUE:
My phone will reboot at random times while recording a video. it will record anywhere from 30 sec to 2 min but the video will freeze and(or) the phone will reboot resulting in a corrupt video file. On occasion I have been able to hit the stop button and it will not reboot but the video file is still corrupt. also after that if I attempt to record again it will crash the camcorder app and return to the home screen.

PHONE:
I'm rooted (z4root) running 2.2.1 and overclocked to 1.3 Ghz (DX/D2 OVERCLOCKER). I have Downloaded a fresh copy of the Camera (blur.camera) app backup'ed the blur.camera (root uninstaller) and swapped it out in the system/app folder (root explorer). It is odd that I cannot "install" this app. When I launch this apk file it will try to install but at the end it will say app not installed. i've changed the permissions and rebooted to get my camera and camcorder apps back in the app drawer. If i'm doing it wrong please let me know. Also, What is the Odex file and what is its purpose.

My background apps include:

Lookout
Tasker
Setcpu profiles

I'm trying to learn how this OS works. I usually very good at locating glitches in software. I'm just new to Android so there's a learning curve there.

Thanks for your help.

xrazedx
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Revert your overclocking and undervolting values to stock and see if the problem still occurs.
Your values could be unstable and causing the problems.

xpbr2000
02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
hmmmm. :omg:Well kind sir, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Lol. I thought I had tried that but its sitting here recording at 6 min so far and not a hiccup. although it was getting very warm. 110F? is that normal?

Btw the real test will be in my car. I have fab'ed a dash cam ..... don't laugh (its for a car forum v6f-body.com) Been trying to record a twisted stretch on road (3min). I will give it a go this afternoon.

Thanks very much. I will see if this was the problem. (it makes since, but i didn't think the Camcorder app was that sensitive. nor have i received errors during stress tests??)

xrazedx
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Recording for a while does heat up the CPU as it is a cpu-intensive process. I'm pretty sure it was your problem.
With the X, flash and video recording don't play too well when the phone is overclocked high. Your values may be stable for everything else except those two.
Before recording a video, just lower the max speed, preferably to 1ghz.

xpbr2000
02-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Well it works fine now. I don't like having to change my overclock settings every time though. Setcpu should do the same thing as changing it back to stock right? I mean when I set it to 1 ghz? I will play with the overclock settings. I've backed it down to 1.2Ghz, Its still snappy there. may be i'll have less problems with the camera.

Rattlebones
03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Wondering if we can address this (or really a similar issue again)...

Droid X, no changes to the clocking or anything, all settings are stock.
The problem is intermittent. Sometimes, when hitting the stop on a recording (anywhere from 5-15 minutes) the phone will lock up and have to be powered down in order to recover. I get a large file (last instance 399 meg) but the file is useless, can't be viewed.

So two questions :
a) any idea what is happening and how to solve it.
b) if it can't be solved is there a way to recover the file?

xpbr2000
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Wondering if we can address this (or really a similar issue again)...

Droid X, no changes to the clocking or anything, all settings are stock.
The problem is intermittent. Sometimes, when hitting the stop on a recording (anywhere from 5-15 minutes) the phone will lock up and have to be powered down in order to recover. I get a large file (last instance 399 meg) but the file is useless, can't be viewed.

So two questions :
a) any idea what is happening and how to solve it.
b) if it can't be solved is there a way to recover the file?

I don't know about the freezing? does it do it any other time?

As far as the file. I've used "format factory" a lot to covert and repair video file. it will covert to any format or the same format. it does video, music, and I think pics too

Droid-Xer
03-11-2011, 12:53 PM
If you've done all the troubleshoot fixes like wiping data in camera and gallery and you're still having isues, it could be an sd card problem. Look for issues on the card using gallery 3d to look for corrupt files