PDA

View Full Version : One-click Root for your Droid X

wuyanks
07-27-2010, 11:28 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/5cgfol.jpg

Found the original Droid X root method (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/62385-root-has-arrived-droid-x.html) a bit unsettling? Well, fret no longer. Thanks to Sil3ntKi113 (http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=profile&u=8982) over at Alldroid, there is now a 1-click root program for your Droid X. Similar to unRevoked's root application for the Incredible and the various jailbreaking tools for the iPhone, DroidX Root requires very little of you, aside from plugging your phone into your computer. You will also need .NET 3.5 Framework installed on your Windows PC (note, Vista and Win 7 both have .NET 3.5 automatically integrated, so no need to worry, unless you're running XP). And as a relief to many, Android SDK and ADB are not required, because all the appropriate drivers are integrated into the application. Give it a go, and let us know if it worked for you.

Also note, after you root, and before you make any modifications to your Droid X, you must read Droid X Root Ultimate WrongDoings (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/1510-ultimate-wrong-doings.html), or you will brick your phone!

Download link here: DroidXRoot.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?osyyld4xfbjocou)

source: Alldroid (http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553)

Phatkat66
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I just rooted last night and it took 4 minutes. But it woulda been cool to test out this one step click. lol

zenkyto
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
What exactly is the purpose for the 'unroot' button? I know nothing about rooting but am a curious little monkey...

wuyanks
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
What exactly is the purpose for the 'unroot' button? I know nothing about rooting but am a curious little monkey...

let's say you need to return your phone, you don't want VZ/Moto to know you rooted it.

rgpie75
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I've tried it several times toggling both bluetooth and wireless as suggested in the instructions over at Alldroid. No luck. Root failed every time.

Ah, probably because I don't have .NET3.5 installed. Trying to install that now, but getting an error on that also for some reason.

Domino
07-27-2010, 12:28 PM
let's say you need to return your phone, you don't want VZ/Moto to know you rooted it.

Is this the first time we've seen an unroot for the DX or did I miss something?

Jaxidian
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Is this the first time we've seen an unroot for the DX or did I miss something?

You missed something...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1586-how-un-root-droid-x.html

pauliewalnutted
07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Awesome. Gonna try this as soon i find a pc to borrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Domino
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
You missed something...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1586-how-un-root-droid-x.html

Awkward.

XJ-linux
07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Excellent news! Are we Mac users out of luck (with one-click rooting) for now? If so, does anyone know if this method would work using a Win7x86 Virtual Box VM?

Jaxidian
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Excellent news! Are we Mac users out of luck (with one-click rooting) for now? If so, does anyone know if this method would work using a Win7x86 Virtual Box VM?

It might work with Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX). Honestly, I wouldn't want to be a beta tester, though. ;)

jtdiddy
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
how do check our phone to see if Root was successful?

B16
07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
how do check our phone to see if Root was successful?

Look for "Super User Permissions" APK in your app drawer.

jtdiddy
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Great mine worked!

Is there a thread on what things we can do after root?

didiwags
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
This is tempting but I am still to chicken haha

smiley68
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
well i rooted my X 2 days ago. started getting the 604 update yesterday so i had to rename the bloatware back and re-root. this way works perfect beats the long way.

need to know: pc mode was a no go. usb storage works mInt. worked after that change thank you.

Backnblack
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Great mine worked!

Is there a thread on what things we can do after root?

All you can do is remove some stock apps and have wireless tether at this time.

smalltowngirl13
07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
All you can do is remove some stock apps and have wireless tether at this time.

This would also allow screenshots right - without connecting to a PC?

Sent from my DROIDX

FireHazard
07-27-2010, 09:55 PM
So can I literally just root and then unroot as long as I dont change any file names or delete anything? This is my first android phone and I don't want to mess anything up. Also, to get rid of programs that we dont want (SKYPE!!!) would you just rename them so that you can name them back to normal to unroot? Or can you delete them and still be able to unroot?

industrialwaste
07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
So can I literally just root and then unroot as long as I dont change any file names or delete anything? This is my first android phone and I don't want to mess anything up. Also, to get rid of programs that we dont want (SKYPE!!!) would you just rename them so that you can name them back to normal to unroot? Or can you delete them and still be able to unroot?

I am also curious if it is necessary to have all the apps back in their place before an unroot.

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
i have tried this a few times, can someone tell me if you need to have the phone sync'd in pc mode or usb mass storage? i cant get it to do anything. thanks!

smalltowngirl13
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Mine worked in pc mode...

Sent from my DROIDX

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
when i put it in pc mode it just sits saying its doing something with motorola droid x drivers and doesnt progress. any ideas? running windows 7 ultimate.

smalltowngirl13
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Do you have the MOTO drivers installed - it sounds like it is searching for them but cannot locate. Stop trying to root - close the root me box and let the computer try to locate/install the drivers.

Sent from my DROIDX

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Do you have the MOTO drivers installed - it sounds like it is searching for them but cannot locate. Stop trying to root - close the root me box and let the computer try to locate/install the drivers.

Sent from my DROIDX

i thought they were installed the first time i connected the phone, i may be wrong. ill check within the device manager when i get home but i have gone in there looking and havent found them. i refreshed so it searches and it doesnt find anything. can they be manually downloaded from moto site?

bozidar0
07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
This worked like a charm! Just remember to run the root program as an administrator. This can be done by right clicking the icon, and choosing "run as administrator".

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
This worked like a charm! Just remember to run the root program as an administrator. This can be done by right clicking the icon, and choosing "run as administrator".

see i tried that too and it didnt work. ill have to see if i can find the drivers, they wont automatically install when i plug it in for some reason. where can i find them to install them?

bozidar0
07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Make sure you are in PC mode, with usb debugging on, and a motorola icon will pop up in your system tray on your computer. if not try these:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA (http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers)

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Make sure you are in PC mode, with usb debugging on, and a motorola icon will pop up in your system tray on your computer. if not try these:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA (http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers)

thank you so very much, very helpful.

smalltowngirl13
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
thank you so very much, very helpful.

Did you get it to go M@|ice?

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Did you get it to go M@|ice?

unfortunatly im at work so i havent had a chance, ill be home in an hour. ill be sure to let you all know what happens, and if it doesnt work beg for more help. thanks everyone.

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 07:23 PM
it seems to be doing something now. im at the point where it is telling me to toggle my bluetooth switch right after i hit continue. does it mean turn off my bluetooth? i have bluetooth on and a bluetooth headset on right now. wanna do this right. what should i expect to see when i hit continue so i hit the right thing?

smalltowngirl13
07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
it seems to be doing something now. im at the point where it is telling me to toggle my bluetooth switch right after i hit continue. does it mean turn off my bluetooth? i have bluetooth on and a bluetooth headset on right now. wanna do this right. what should i expect to see when i hit continue so i hit the right thing?

Yes, toggle either on or off - depending on which it is on right now...it also said on the alldroid site if BT didn't work, then toggle WiFi....once you hit continue, hit the BT (this will uncheck it) - the continue button should disappear and the green bar will keep updating...

M@|ice
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, toggle either on or off - depending on which it is on right now...it also said on the alldroid site if BT didn't work, then toggle WiFi....once you hit continue, hit the BT (this will uncheck it) - the continue button should disappear and the green bar will keep updating...

"root successful" now is it safe to remove the usb connection? i do not see the ninja in my tray yet.

EDIT: sorry, i found it its in the app drawer not the tray. thank you all for your help. hope my questions and your answers in this thread help the next clueless person. thank you all again, great site, helpful members. :)

Dirty
07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Just did this last night. It was very easy, took all of five minutes (that includes reading the direction, downloading the .zip, and running the install). Thank you everyone!

Garemlin
07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok so is this a safe way of rooting. I know technically rooting is not 100% safe, but is it better to go this route if you don't understand some of the technical mumbo jumbo.

smalltowngirl13
07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok so is this a safe way of rooting. I know technically rooting is not 100% safe, but is it better to go this route if you don't understand some of the technical mumbo jumbo.

I felt it was easy - in m@|ice's defense, I think he got stuck with the moto drivers not in place but in the end, he got it...I only have one question left to be answered and I plan to bump the post to see if someone will answer...It is literally a download, extract, click root me and click continue / toggle BT and there it is...

I read thru the post's on alldroid's site before I did (only the post's on the thread of the download)...

mastertech007
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Looks like someone needs BANNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anoid
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Sorry, please ignore and see next post.

Backnblack
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Looks like someone needs BANNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Pleasure....

If you see posts like that, Report them.
Just hit the lil triangle with the exclamation point in it under the user who posted it....

Anoid
09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
unless you're running XP

What if you are running XP?

With Froyo 2.2 update due out any day, does it make sense to wait till your phone OS is updated before rooting?

smalltowngirl13
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
What if you are running XP?

I think he was indicating that you may have to locate and install the .NET 3.5 framework...

You will also need .NET 3.5 Framework installed on your Windows PC (note, Vista and Win 7 both have .NET 3.5 automatically integrated, so no need to worry, unless you're running XP).

Anoid
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I found my .Net 3.5 software. What about waiting till froyo update?

thatoneguy5349
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Edit: Got my computer to recognize my phone, but see below VV

thatoneguy5349
09-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Lol fail keep getting "Cant Find Droid X Device" message...yet its plugged in and on PC mode....wtf?

thatoneguy5349
09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Nvm its all working. I think.

jbreezy
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
does this one click root work for the update version 2.3.15

isired
09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
does this one click root work for the update version 2.3.15No, and the update kills your root access (though at least it WILL allow you to update, unless you've removed apps or installed themes or, obviously, updated to a leaked Froyo).

jbreezy
09-22-2010, 03:26 PM
so what do i have to do in order to be able to get things that require root? i don't understand....

USCJoel
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
You can either use the Droid 2 Root which can be found at www.droid-life.com (http://www.droid-life.com) under the topic that says "How To: Root Your Droid X"

...or you can always wait for them to come out with a "one click" root option, which Im sure is in the works.

thatoneguy5349
09-22-2010, 06:20 PM
So if you've done the OTA update to 2.2, this one click root will not work anymore - correct?

two250
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
So if you've done the OTA update to 2.2, this one click root will not work anymore - correct?
Correct, you can use the Droid 2 method currently or wait and see if this program will be updated.

jfolk53
09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Are you saying 'the Droid 2 one-click method' or one of the new roots that have been out???

Correct, you can use the Droid 2 method currently or wait and see if this program will be updated.

FireHazard
09-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Some people have been trying the droid 2 method where you run the doroot script. It is supposed to be one click. It has worked for some and hasn't for others. I couldn't get it to work.

USCJoel
09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Are you saying 'the Droid 2 one-click method' or one of the new roots that have been out???

No... the Droid 2 Root method...not the Droid 2 One Click.

I couldnt get the droid 2 root method to work for me, but some others have had sucess.

zettler
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM
No... the Droid 2 Root method...not the Droid 2 One Click.

I couldnt get the droid 2 root method to work for me, but some others have had sucess.

Is there a link to explain how? Now I cannot also get my Laptop or pc to recognize my droid x after the system update....

two250
09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Is there a link to explain how? Now I cannot also get my Laptop or pc to recognize my droid x after the system update....
This should do the trick

How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7838035#post7838035)

danDroid
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I had the same issue, I had to set the Droid X into Charge Only mode when connecting it to the mac.

iDr0id
09-23-2010, 10:11 PM
doroot works, just use usb mode with usb debugging

zettler
09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I had the same issue, I had to set the Droid X into Charge Only mode when connecting it to the mac.

My problem is that neither my laptop or pc recognize the droid x now. Here I was able to connect and charge via usb and now I can't. Also how or where do you set it to charge only? I can't find it in settings. Thank you in advance.

groovejedi
09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Will it work with .NET 4? Or is it required that you have 3.5?

stevewitt
09-25-2010, 05:31 PM

It's not allowing me to do this.

TommyV
09-26-2010, 01:34 AM
I'll wait for the one click 2.2.

Uncle Chan
09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
I'll wait for the one click 2.2.

Same here. Only, I like Universal Androot.

CawEssen-online
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Tres intiresno, gracias

sil3ntki11
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Here it is! The Android 2.2 Froyo one-click root! Check out my post over @ alldroid.org
One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home (http://goo.gl/qvk0)

Or my blog
Sil3ntki11 (http://goo.gl/Lyq3)

smokecombs
09-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Here it is! The Android 2.2 Froyo one-click root! Check out my post over @ alldroid.org
One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home (http://goo.gl/qvk0)

Or my blog
Sil3ntki11 (http://goo.gl/Lyq3)
Thanks! So appreciate of your hard work.

Anoid
09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
@sil3ntki11
You need .Net 3.0 or can you have 3.0 or higher?

I noticed on other blogs that someone suggested you install all the motorola drivers. If you use the download button on the linked page in this blog, does it install all of them?

I've only attached my Droid X to the pc for charging. Should I download and install these drivers and test the various connection modes - USB Mass Storage, Charging Only, Windows Media Sync, Etc. first before running RootMyX2.exe?

IJust want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row before they get drowned.