PDA

View Full Version : [Quick Guide] To Near Perfect ROM Re-Installations and to Help Major Issues

macpro88
02-19-2011, 10:31 PM
First off, this guide is geared more toward the crowd that has already rooted and ROM'd their device.

Second of all, this guide is only geared toward Android 2.2.1 System 2.3.340 only, this will NOT work on Android 2.3.3 System 4.5.573/4.5.588

This is a guide I have decided to write up based on my own experiences with custom ROM's.

It is a guide that will help you quickly:
-Re-install a ROM after having major issues including constant force closes and other glitches.
-You find stray elements from themes or other ROMs you wish to get rid of such as a boot logo from a previous ROM or status bar colors

Some quick key highlights:
-Having the proper .apks in the root of your SD card (z4root and bootstrap and root explorer and Titanium Backup if wanted).
-Having the proper .zips in the root of your SD card (maderstock, or TBH Monster)
-A full battery!
-Patience
-This guide, and the ability to be able to read it and not miss a step!

If at any point you are stuck and are not comfortable with what is going on, PM me! I get instant notices of PM's so unless I am sleeping I should be fairly quick to respond!

Warning! IF you are coming from TBH Tranquility, please see this first before continuing http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/21066-how-tranq-3-7-a.html other wise you might end up with a massive headache!

Since no ROM is perfect, and mistakes on your end happen, you will almost always encounter some kind of issue! This is not always at the fault of the developers, so please don't blame them!

I have gone through the following process about six times now, as of writing this, and I have it down to about 8 minuets, and so far, it has solved all of my problems due to an issue that I know was not my fault, the other times I have had to use this process is from ME messing things up just for the fun of it :).

Since YOU chose to hack YOUR device and violate your carriers Terms of Service and Warranty, YOU ARE responsible for any damage that might come to your device. So instead of blaming Motorola, Verizon, or the developers of the ROM flavor you chose, blame YOURSELF, and then use this awesome community to find the solution you need!

So please closely follow my guide and hopefully everyone can benefit from it!

This may seem like a lot to do, but once you get the steps down, this process can take less than 10 minuets!

(PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL BATTERY, IF NOT, DO NOT CONTINUE BELOW UNTIL YOU DO!)

Step 1. Obtain Maderstock340.zip HERE (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html), and place in the root of your SD card.
-Please take the time to read the post! There is important information you need to know! This .zip will update you to full stock official 2.3.340. This means that if you are on 2.3.15 or 2.3.151 or 2.3.230 you will be updated to official 2.3.340! Please note that this WILL NOT remove Droid X Bootstrap.

or

Step 1B. Using Team Black Hats application from the Market, download the DX-Monster_2.3.340_updater, place in the root of your SD card. This WILL REMOVE Droid X Bootstrap! So make sure you have the .apk in the root of your SD card.

(Note that I use maderstock340 or TBH Monster340 because it takes me back to absolute fresh out of the box stock, I am a bit "anal" if you will, and you can absolutely use your stock back up nandroid if you so choose, but then my guide might not be so useful ;))

Step 2. Obtain z4root HERE (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html), and place the file in the root of your SD card.

Step 3. Make sure you have the Droid X Bootstrap .apk in the root of your SD card as well, find it in the Market if you do not already have it, if you do, you can copy the .apk file from /data/app, using a root file explorer, the name of the .apk should be "com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap-1.apk." Copy the .apk to the root of your SD card.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/macpro88/snap20110226_160041.jpg

Step 4. Place the ROM flavor of your choice in the root of your SD card.

Make sure you have a full battery beyond this point, you do not have to be connected a charger, in fact, some users report issues when connected to a charger and booting into and from bootstrap recovery. Not having a full battery can be hazardous to your phone!

Step 5. Boot into Bootstrap recovery, before you flash anything, make a backup if you so choose, though you don't have to, then re-boot into bootstrap recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and then in advanced, wipe dalvik cache, battery stats if you so choose to as well.

Step 6. Flash Maderstock340 OR TBH's Monster.zip by choosing install .zip and selecting the Maderstock340.zip or TBH's Monster.zip from the root of your SD card.

This step will take a few minuets, a little longer than what most ROM's take, so don't freak out if it seems its taking too long, just let it do its thing.

WARNING! DO NOT DO ANYTHING IN BOOTSTRAP AFTER MADERSTOCK OR MONSTER.ZIP IS FINISHED, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! WARNING!

Step 7. Reboot your phone, again, do NOT do anything in Bootstrap after Maderstock or Monster.zip is finished.

When your phone reboots, activate if you need to, and activate only! Do not set up your Google account or anything else! You will not be on stock for very long. Here is a quick way to skip set up:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/macpro88/droid-activation2.jpg

Step 8. Go into settings, applications, and allow installations of non-Market applications, then go into the stock File manager application (app drawer then "Files" app.) and install z4root and Bootstrap if needed.

Step 9. Re-root your phone! Using z4root that you just installed, run permanent root.

Now the rest of the way should be pretty familiar to you, again, making sure you battery is full!

Step 10. Boot back into bootstrap recovery. Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache and battery stats.

Step 11. Go back to the main menu, and re-flash your favorite ROM flavor :)

Step 12. After reboot, setup your device like you normally would!

Also a side note, if you use Titanium Backup to backup app data, make sure you are restoring non-system apps and data, as this can cause trouble if you went from AOSP to Blur or Blur to AOSP, if you are on the same ROM, you should have little issues, just use caution and your own judgment.

You should be good to go! Hopefully this will do as much good to you as it does to me!

Thank You Everyone!

I would like to personally thank RoOoler for his hard work and dedication that he has put into his guides! http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

I would also like to thank maderschramm for his awesome .zip he created! Making Droid X life so much easier! http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html

And I would like to thank Team Black Hat as well for all of their hard work and dedication in the Android community.

And of course I would like to thank the moderators here who are just awesome and all of the users who contribute to this awesome community!

macpro88
02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, updated the OP, hope some people will find this useful!

kirra27
03-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Thank you for the guide! I recently put Apex 1.4 on my X and have an issue with the refresh icon being stuck on my status bar (its been there for DAYS now). If I can't find another fix by searching I think I'll just follow your guide and start fresh.

macpro88
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Updated, made a few changes to make things a bit more clear, this has helped a few ppl so far so hopefully it can help some more! Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything I should add to it!

Thanks!

shawn
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
This worked great for me a couple weeks back haven't had near as many problems since doing it. I think I had too many roms and themes on top of eachother.

MY my ninja morphed APEXED DROIDX 1.3ghz

macpro88
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
This worked great for me a couple weeks back haven't had near as many problems since doing it. I think I had too many roms and themes on top of eachother.

MY my ninja morphed APEXED DROIDX 1.3ghz

Good, glad it worked out for you!

bsbabcock
03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Lordy how I love a nice concise how-to procedure. Great job macpro! Had no idea you could do the swipe 1-2-3-4 and skip all the setup business. Nice. :)

I especially like 10: Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache and battery stats. ...squeaky clean and polished for flashing. I would even like to try cleaning up my sd card also prior to flashing. Have a rom flashed on full battery, empty bone stock phone, except of course for the essential apks needed.

macpro88
03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Lordy how I love a nice concise how-to procedure. Great job macpro! Had no idea you could do the swipe 1-2-3-4 and skip all the setup business. Nice. :)

I especially like 10: Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache and battery stats. ...squeaky clean and polished for flashing. I would even like to try cleaning up my sd card also prior to flashing. Have a rom flashed on full battery, empty bone stock phone, except of course for the essential apks needed. I still need to find bootstrap apk.

Do you not have it from the Market? If you do, it should be located in /data/app/com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap-1.apk <--copy this file to you SD card.

bsbabcock
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Learn something every day. Thanks! I did not know this or any app installed from market kept itself as an apk on SD card.. That's too convenient. Showing my android ignorance. Thanks, I'm sure I have it.

xrazedx
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Learn something every day. Thanks! I did not know this or any app installed from market kept itself as an apk on SD card.. That's too convenient. Showing my android ignorance. Thanks, I'm sure I have it.

Not the SD but the phones internal memory.

Relentless

macpro88
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM

It keeps it on the internal storage, but as long as you have Root Explorer, you can copy them over to the SD card, that way next time you do a factory reset/data wipe, you still have it on your SD card, no re-downloading needed!

macpro88
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Yup, you would need Root Explorer or any other root file manager.

galaxie500fb
03-20-2011, 10:08 AM
good morning. followed the instructions line by line and everything went smoothly. Running rubix 2.0 and lovin it.

bsbabcock
03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
^ what he said. IMO this procedure is the way to go. Rubix flash went smooth as silk and wow what a smooth rom. 4% battery life consumed during the whole night after installing all my apps back on their default refresh settings.

Sent from my RubiX'd silly fast battery sipping Droid X

macpro88
03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
good morning. followed the instructions line by line and everything went smoothly. Running rubix 2.0 and lovin it.

Awesome, glad it worked out for you :D

fezrock
03-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice guide! I also keep TiBackup on my SD. I prefer to reload apps from there, skipping the Google sync. Also, I always wind up trimming the list of active apps each time, streamlining performance.

Sent from new clean Orangesliced Liberty

macpro88
03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Nice guide! I also keep TiBackup on my SD. I prefer to reload apps from there, skipping the Google sync. Also, I always wind up trimming the list of active apps each time, streamlining performance.

Sent from new clean Orangesliced Liberty

Very nice, glad you like it. I will have to mention TiB im there, never thought about cause I don't use it lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

WugFresh
03-20-2011, 12:03 PM
@macpro, nice thread. This is great for people who are having a buggy setup.

I noticed you mentioned clearing battery stats... you might want to add that it's recommended to fully charge your device first. :)

Besides that minor detail, great job!

{{ WugFresh }}

bsbabcock
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I actually wrote the steps down, to make sure I had all steps in my brain. I've kinda consolidated them:

- Essential files in root of SD (z4, Maderstock or TBH, Bootstrap, ROM of choice)
- ROM of choice in root of SD
- Full Battery
- Bootstrap backup, wipe: data/factory reset, cache, dalvik cache, battery stats
- flash Maderstock340 or TBH Monster
- Reboot, Activate if needed, No google acct
- Install z4 and bootstrap (if needed)
- Re-root with z4
- Bootstrap wipe: data/factory reset, cache, dalvik cache, battery stats
- Flash ROM
- Reboot and rebuild apps
- Make a backup once determined the flash is solid

macpro88
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
@macpro, nice thread. This is great for people who are having a buggy setup.

I noticed you mentioned clearing battery stats... you might want to add that it's recommended to fully charge your device first. :)

Besides that minor detail, great job!

{{ WugFresh }}

Yes, thank you for that, I will for sure add this in. I am so glad I am finding users that this helps out :D

syn87
04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
^ what he said. IMO this procedure is the way to go. Rubix flash went smooth as silk and wow what a smooth rom. 4% battery life consumed during the whole night after installing all my apps back on their default refresh settings.

Sent from my RubiX'd silly fast battery sipping Droid X

How do u know it used 4%? My droid x only goes in the increments of 10%. Is there a way to change this?

fezrock
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
How do u know it used 4%? My droid x only goes in the increments of 10%. Is there a way to change this?

I use Circle Battery Widget, and other Apps have 1% increments.

bsbabcock
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
It's been a while but I think I was going by minimalistic text widget.

macpro88
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM

There are apps and widgets that will measure the battery in 1% increments, however, the stock battery in the DX is programed at the hardware level to report in 10% increments, so there is no way to change the stock battery in how it reports.

holly
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm not rooted but I can get incremental battery usage info within the System Panel app.

Sent from my DROIDX

syn87
04-11-2011, 11:26 PM
thanks to all that replied to my question about the battery stat increments. I thought there was a way to display the 1% increments up at the status bar. will check out the other widgets! thanks again!

bsbabcock
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
So I'm wondering about such a method from the op post for Gingerbread based Rom flashing.. I guess substitute gbrooted maybe instead of maderstock 340 or so.
I guess the principle is the same.. Start with as close to stock as possible, wiping everything possible, full battery before the rom flash.

When i get a chance I'm gonna try Rubix Blurry Bread. For a rom that Drod himself said wasn't supposed to be much, it's certainly getting good reviews just for the performance tweaks.

fezrock
04-12-2011, 08:21 AM
So I'm wondering about such a method from the op post for Gingerbread based Rom flashing.. I guess substitute gbrooted maybe instead of maderstock 340 or so.
I guess the principle is the same.. Start with as close to stock as possible, wiping everything possible, full battery before the rom flash.

When i get a chance I'm gonna try Rubix Blurry Bread. For a rom that Drod himself said wasn't supposed to be much, it's certainly getting good reviews just for the performance tweaks.

There's a thread just for that with all pertinent details.

macpro88
04-12-2011, 08:24 AM

You could use the same procedure, using the GB Rooted.zip instead, wiping data/cache. If you are still on stock GB with a custom theme, you can use the zip to wipe that theme off without clearing data/cache, but if you put yourself on a custom ROM, like Blurry Bread, you would need to wipe data/cache.

And yes, I love Blurry Bread, loved Focused on Froyo as well, he does good work for sure.

bsbabcock
04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
There's a thread just for that with all pertinent details.

Yep, in this forum I have to remember my rule#1, if it's a question I come up with, there's probably already a sticky or a 600+ page thread on it. :) LOL!

hawk196
07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I navigate to /data/apps... well really just /data/ and I don't see anything. I am using the bundled File Manager included in Liberty 2.0.1 so I don't know if that has something to do with it. I would buy Root Explorer if that was the case, I'm just not sure. And NO, I have not moved all my apps to the sdcard.

All I want is to move TiB to the sd.... The rest I can restore from there.

macpro88
07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I navigate to /data/apps... well really just /data/ and I don't see anything. I am using the bundled File Manager included in Liberty 2.0.1 so I don't know if that has something to do with it. I would buy Root Explorer if that was the case, I'm just not sure. And NO, I have not moved all my apps to the sdcard.

All I want is to move TiB to the sd.... The rest I can restore from there.

You will need Root Explorer, the stock File Manager in the ROM's for some reason do not go that deep in the file system, any other Root File Explorer from the Market will do, just make sure it is in fact a Root File System Explorer. I just checked, and I get a blank /data/ folder as well with the built in file manager, Root Explorer reveals much more.

1KDS
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM
You can also get a copy of the free version of ti from the dev to put on your sd card:
Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/)