PDA

View Full Version : ? About TBH 3g hotspot

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Ok I'm running liberty1.5 and I just want to make sure I got this right, ok when I want to use 3g hotspots I'm gonna switch to stock since it has the never timeout. So here's my questions 1 when on stock all ill have to do is install the patch, 2 will Verizon know its running, I'm using 3g watchdog to make sure I don't go over 5gb, but they wont know its running when I use even if I don't get near 5gb, 3, whenever I need to say take my phone to Verizon or just don't ever wont to use it no more, I just have to use the unpatch right. 3g hotspots is already on stock right?

My X has been orangesliced!!

spodoc
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
What sort of timeout are you referring to? I'm not well read on the hotspot. Does wireless thether have a timeout and hotspot not?

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
1) Once you patch, you don't need to patch again, even if you switch ROMs. Only if you update the radio with a new SBF/OTA/maderstcok.
2) When patched, it should look just like regular data from your phone.
3) Unpatch and SBF to stock to remove CW and root.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
The screen timeout on liberty only goes to 30min and stock has the never option. That's the reason why I'm gonna use stock when I run hotspot

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
I meant unpatch if I have to take it in to vzw

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah I knew abbout unrooting and stuff I just didn't know for sure if Sbf or maderstcok took the patch off

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:25 PM
So on stock all I'm gonna have to do to use hotspots without paying is just apply the patch and I'm good?

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I meant unpatch if I have to take it in to vzw

Yeah, but you said install stock and patch which made me think you were going to patch every time you switched to stock which isn't needed. You'll be patched on both Liberty and stock and any other ROM you decide to try out as long as you don't update the radio.

Out of curiosity, why does the screen timeout matter? Wireless tethering is enough of a battery hog, I'd not want the screen on the whole time too. Or does the hotspot disconnect when the screen times out? I've not actually tethered with it yet except for a brief moment just to make sure it worked.

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah I knew abbout unrooting and stuff I just didn't know for sure if Sbf or maderstcok took the patch off

I'd probably run the unpatch and then do the SBF just to be sure since it takes all of a minute to do the unpatch. Pretty sure maderstcok removes the patch, but it still leaves CW, though a few people have reported returning phones with CW still on them with no problems.

Not sure if the .340 SBF removes the patch since there are the reports of it not updating the bootloader and such, so not sure if it touches the radio or not which is why I'd run the unpatch before SBFing.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Well on wireless tether when the phone would go to sleep (timeout) it would pop up a error, it screwed the connection up. Mike told me u can't let the phone screen go off

mikeinrichmond
02-19-2011, 04:30 PM
... So here's my questions 1 when on stock all ill have to do is install the patch, 2 will Verizon know its running, I'm using 3g watchdog to make sure I don't go over 5gb, but they wont know its running when I use even if I don't get near 5gb, 3, whenever I need to say take my phone to Verizon or just don't ever wont to use it no more, I just have to use the unpatch right. 3g hotspots is already on stock right?

If you are talking about the TBH 3G hotspot patch, it is supposed to work with any Rom, so you shouldn't need to go back to stock to run it..

No VZW will never know its running.
Yes, unpatch with the TBH unpatch.zip if you ever need to take the phone in for service etc..(unroot etc.. as well)

hope this eases your mind... :)

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Well on wireless tether when the phone would go to sleep (timeout) it would pop up a error, it screwed the connection up. Mike told me u can't let the phone screen go off

Didn't know that, I'll keep that in mind and maybe test with the hotspot later to see if it has the same issue wireless tether does.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah madershcramm working on fixing his thing to take clockwork, bootstrap off, but I'm not sure with the 340 either, if I have to ill just use the 320 and then maderstcok back to 340. Thanks for clearing up the hotspot questions

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm gonna use stock for the never screen timeout. Mike

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:34 PM
But I should never have to Sbf I'm pretty safe about what I do on here, and I folllow directions. Big smile :)

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't know for sure if screen timeoit matters on hotspots like it did on tether, But ill post it here to let anyone know if they have the same question

mikeinrichmond
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah madershcramm working on fixing his thing to take clockwork, bootstrap off, but I'm not sure with the 340 either, if I have to ill just use the 320 and then maderstcok back to 340. Thanks for clearing up the hotspot questions

The full2.3.340 update.zip that you can get from the TBH app DOES remove Bootstrap for ya..So just run that if you need to return it to VZW and they'll never know...

As for the screen timeout and Wireless Tether, I can't remember whether that was on the old version or not. I just tested it with the new version 2.0.6, had my laptop running Pandora from it, turned the screen off on the phone, and it kept working fine..Even surfed around a bit too...Now I used it for only about 5 minutes, but it works with the screen off for at least that bit of time...

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah I used it last night and alittle after the screen went off I got that error something can't remember what the error code was. I've heard though that the 3g hotspot worked better for the PlayStation than the wireless tether. I'm gonna try it and see, thanks for all the info

mikeinrichmond
02-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah I used it last night and alittle after the screen went off I got that error something can't remember what the error code was. I've heard though that the 3g hotspot worked better for the PlayStation than the wireless tether. I'm gonna try it and see, thanks for all the info

There are a couple of settings to play around with, but I haven't played with it enough to know what they do...

Open up W.T., hit hard menu key, goto settings, scroll to the bottom. One is called "Disable Wake lock" the other is "Disable Screen lock"...Worth a try...

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Get yourself a good toggle widget, I use powercontrol plus, others swear by widgetsoid. Look for a toggle to disable screen time out when its connected to a charger, and one to disable lock screen. I know powercontrol plus has both, I am assuming widgetsoid does too. Also remember to turn of autosync.

{{ WugFresh }}

SoundQcar
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I use QuickSettings. It has a never timeout option....which I employ. Screen never timesout on me.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Is there away to check that the patch us working?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Use it and see if you get billed? :lol:

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
If you can tether without getting directed to verizons TOS webpage then it works

{{ WugFresh }}

1KDS
02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
If you don't have the patch as soon as you connect a device the device goes to a vzw website to sign a TOS, if it doesn't go there the patch is installed.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I applied the patch while on stock and then I realized I can use a app or widget to keep the screen on so I'm back on liberty, so after I install 3g hotspots from tbh I want have to apply the patch again right. I'm just asking so ill know for sure, I really don't have the extra 20$ a month and I really really don't want vzw to know. I turned hotspots on on stock and it just told me how it was a battery drainer and to setup a password so nobody could milch off it no vzw stuff.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:06 PM
And also the wireless tether was giving me problems so that's why I'm using 3g hotspot

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes, the TBH hack works on the radio file itself which doesn't get changed when switching ROMs. So once you've patched, until you do something like maderstcok or SBF that updates the radio, you're good.

You can verify by connecting to the hotspot and you won't be taken to the ToS page.

skennelly
02-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I usually charge my phone while tethering, and there is an option to stay awake while charging. Works well.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Ok I installed 3g hotspots in clockwork and it said success but its not in my app drawer, did it work or is it somewhere else?

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Odd, I when I had installed it on Liberty, I had no issues. Did you flash the actual hotspot or the patch?

EDIT: Pretty sure you probably flashed the right thing, but being a tech, I gotta ask these questions just because it seems every time I don't, I waste a lot of time. :lol:

mikeinrichmond
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Ok I installed 3g hotspots in clockwork and it said success but its not in my app drawer, did it work or is it somewhere else?

Try rebooting, it should be there when you get it going again...

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Here flash this. It has the app and the patch. It should be bullet proof as long as you are deodexed which you are because you are on Liberty.
3GHotspot.wug.zip (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/attachments/droid-x-hacking-guides/15158d1298071898-how-install-3ghotspot-3ghotspot.wug.zip)

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I took 1kds's suggestion and deleted my net.apk and then tryed to flash it and it still didn't work so ill try your link wug

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Should I delete Mynet.apk first then flash or just flash wugs

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
listen to mike. Sometimes rebooting is all it takes.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I did twice

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I redowloaded again and reinstalled rebooted then rebooted again still no luck

1KDS
02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
are you using wug's zip?

mikeinrichmond
02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I redowloaded again and reinstalled rebooted then rebooted again still no luck

Strange...Have you tried Wug's .zip yet?

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Yours worked wug, thanks and thanks everyone else for the help, I deleted mynet before wugs

1KDS
02-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Good deal

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Ok security warning popped up about battery and stuff, then the settings part, then warning about password, so the patched worked right?

mikeinrichmond
Yours worked wug, thanks and thanks everyone else for the help, I deleted mynet before wugs

Woot!! Congrats man...

TideFan22
No vzw stuff. Good deal

mikeinrichmond
Ok security warning popped up about battery and stuff, then the settings part, then warning about password, so the patched worked right?

As long as it doesn't take you to the VZW site it's fine

Gorgarath
02-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Congrats :) Welcome to the world of free tethering.

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone, don't understand why just the hotspots app didn't workbut who cares now. Thanks again

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice. In the future for those who are curious, it should work even if you don't delete it. It automounts system, installs mynet.apk (it will overwrite mynet.apk if its there already), unmounts system, and then installs TBH patch. My hope was that it would resolve most problems installing the patch. The only criteria for it to work is that the user has a deodexed system.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok having some problems, I've connected to my ps3 just fine, but after being on for a certain time a message will popular on my TV saying u have lost connection to the access point other times ill get a DNS error. And ill look at my phone to sometimes and the checkbox in the app will be gone as in cut off, it will cut it self off and ill get them other errors. Any suggested actions to fix this

WugFresh
02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Look at the 3G hotspot thread for tips on how to make it run the best. Me an roooler tested a bunch things. Basically:
1. Turn autosync off
2. Turn screen timeout off
3. Plug into charger
4. Turn lock screen off
5. Leave the device close to your ps3

If that doesn't work for you, grab wireless tether, and follow similar guidelines.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-19-2011, 11:04 PM
K thanks ill look around, should've just looked before asking

WugFresh
02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
No worries TideFan. Remember that tethering is reliant on your 3G connection, so if that craps out, so does your tethering. So tethering will only be as reliable as your service provider is. Installing the no throttle services.jar can help maintain a more stable 3G connection overall.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah I got it running good, I turned auto sync off and that's seemed to work even though I haven't used it much since disabling auto sync. And I already had no throttle

Droid-Xer
02-20-2011, 01:50 AM
I find sig easier to have a widget to have all my options easily accessible.

TideFan22
02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah I set one up