PDA

View Full Version : No Camera Button on Next Gen Motorola Phones: Does than mean they can't be "Hacked" ?

cynkrzy
02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't have a clear understanding of the relationship between Bootstrap Recovery and Clockworkmod yet, but if there is no physical Camera Button on the X2 and Atrix, does that mean there is no way to install a .zip on these new phones ?

Getsome122
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
It means the dev will have to assign a different button to navigate with.

DX- rooted, deodexed, strapped, OC'd, and themed how I like it.

cynkrzy
02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Ah so I think I get it. Clockworkmod is installed as part of Bootstrap Recovery! That's Koush right ? Seems a pretty bright lad, so then it's just a matter of the Locked Bootloader Motorola has come up with. I've a long time left on this phone, so neither of those is likely gonna be "it" when it's time to upgrade, but I'm all about the ability to install whatever I want on MY phone now. Thanks y'all for making that possible!

I still have so much to learn!

Droid-Xer
02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Correct Koush is the dev that brought clockwork to phones. Bootstrap is an X/2 only app to gain access to clockwork. Most other phones can use ROM Manager but for us, there's no need for it. Bad thing is, Koush is working a lot more with Windows phones cuz they seem to be more dev friendly. Hopefully he'll still show the new Moto phones some love

devilsephiroth
02-18-2011, 10:53 AM
All hail koush. For giving us life, on the X.

liberty 1.5

Snow02
02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
It can be done pretty easily. Other devices without camera buttons use the 4 android buttons for back and select.

jgraham4598
02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
@ Droid-Xer. Did you ever think that you would say Microsoft is more dev. friendly than an Android based phone?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Droid-Xer
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
@ Droid-Xer. Did you ever think that you would say Microsoft is more dev. friendly than an Android based phone?

Well technically no. The google nexus 1 is better than any winmo phone. But when you throw in other manufacturers using the platform, they're the ones that really slow down the development. Windows uses their own operating system on their own phone. I believe nokia will be using the windows mobile platform so we'll see how that goes. Platform wise android is the best.

WugFresh
02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Thunderbolt for my next phone; no locked bootloader = me buying it; Plus I am just taking the wise advice of motorala anyway... isn't that what they told me to do?

{{ WugFresh }}

jgraham4598
02-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I was only meaning the Motorola brand. Not Android as a whole. I came from a Winmo phone (att tilt) and I have to say that I love Android. Granted it took a little getting used to linux, but well worth it.

Droid-Xer
02-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I was only meaning the Motorola brand. Not Android as a whole. I came from a Winmo phone (att tilt) and I have to say that I love Android. Granted it took a little getting used to linux, but well worth it.

Well Moto hasn't been a good example of what the Android OS was meant for.