PDA

View Full Version : Quick clock killing batt

duro78
02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Currently on apex, I was getting anywhere from 33 hours to 48 hours depending on use obviously. After installing qc and doing an automatic calibration my battery life went back down to 7-8 hours. After the calibration I was running on a lower vsel from what I was previously running. Uninstalled and batt life is back, any thoughts

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

DebianDog
02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
What did you have it over clocked to? What are you running now?

Musicman
02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow. I want to know what your old settings were. That is crazy good battery life.

Sent from my liberated DX

duro78
02-18-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm using auto killer memory app, strict settings. Wifi is only on in my house and off when the screen turned off. Dimmest display setting along with manually turning off screen when I'm done using it instead of waiting 30 sec which really adds up during the course of the day. I'm set to ulv 1.1 which avgs a quadrant of about 1300. I also use a black wallpaper with minimal color if any. I'm curious as to why quick clock reduced my batt so dramatically considering it lowered my vsel. The time I got 48 hours I forgot my phone at my gfs house so it had no use after 80%. Ive had excellent stats on gummy and apex.

duro78
02-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Tried loading a screen shot of the 48h stats but vetting an error message. On avg I get 33h not a big phone user

izomiac
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
If you're running at a lower average vsel, there's no way for the CPU to use more power. Check your CPU stats (Android system info has a nice way to check percent of time spent at each clock speed). It's possible you changed one clock setting to be a bit too low for what you need, so your phone has to run at a higher one instead (e.g. 600 MHz at 48 vsel is too slow, so the phone always jumps to 800 MHz at 58 vsel, thus 620 MHz at 49 vsel might be better). Here's an example:

http://images.cjb.net/d6e49.pnghttp://images.cjb.net/e67e6.png

Vsel's can be converted to volts by the formula: Volts = .6 + vsel/80 (at least that's the formula for the original Droid), so I spent 67.57% @ 1.0125V, 2.99% @ 1.2V, 1.60% @ 1.325V, 27.85% @ 1.375V, for an average of 1.124V. Ideally, I'd do a fixed set of common activities and measure the time spent per state and tweak to get that average voltage as low as possible (obviously my middle two settings are almost useless right now). It's a far more reliable and reproducible measure than simple battery life since use varies, and signal strength is probably the biggest factor that's variable. Signal strength is the main reason some people see ten hours of active use while others barely get four.