PDA

View Full Version : What is the network key or wep key to mobile hotspot after rooting?

puyalluprealtor
02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Hello
I rooted my X when I try to hot spot my connecting device asks for network key or wep key. Anybody know what to use?

Thanks

mcdonnjd
02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
You mean with the 3g app? It's whatever you create it to be. Or you can disable it. I'll go check on mine, but pretty sure it prompts you for one first launch.

EDIT>> OK, first launch it prompts me for a key. After that first launch, it uses whatever I had previously set it to. If you had set it up prior to rooting, it is probably whatever you set it to. To change the key (or possibly see what it is set to, I didn't try checking the show password checkbox when I did it) turn off the hotspot and press the hard menu button and select the Advanced button. This will let you change the encryption and keys.

EDIT AGAIN>> Then when you go to connect to the hotspot with say, your laptop, when your laptop prompts you for the key, you enter the same thing that you entered into the hotspot app on the phone. If you're using Wireless Tether or Barnacle, the exact steps may vary slightly, think with Wireless Tether it was called settings instead of Advanced, but that's the basics.