PDA

View Full Version : Rooting with a Mac

Zzyyzx
02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
So I've been reading for a bit and trying to research to I don't fub things up. I've decided to root my DX finally and am ready to pull the trigger. In fact, I'm topping off my charge now so I can do it tonight. Here's what I have learned so far:

Step 1:
-z4root (I know there are other methods, but this seems easiest)
Step 2:
-Bootstrap (since it's not on the website currently, buy it through the market)
-Perform a full backup
Step 3:
-Install ROM of my choice (still researching the differences, but I can do this at anytime I think).

I've been watching Debian Dog's videos and they give me a good grasp. However, one thing I haven't been able to find:

Are there any differences when rooting or flashing while using a Macintosh computer?

I know everything above is done from the phone, but I see some things (RSD?) that are PC only. Anyone with Mac experience that can comment on any differences? Thanks!

mcdonnjd
02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
RSD is only needed for SBFing which hopefully you'll not need to do.

Not sure if there is something specifically for the Mac to SBF your phone, but I think it should be able to run the Linux program that can SBF phones. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called, but Google should find it.

Other than that, everything is done on the phone. Or in conjunction with any computer. (Copying files from your computer that you downloaded onto the SD card, doesn't matter much which OS you're running to use your phone as a USB flash drive.)

DebianDog
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Safari is your only enemy with a mac. Use FireFox or Chrome to download zip or apk files

Beamed from my DroidX

Zzyyzx
02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
What's the problem with Safari for the apk and zip files? I used to use Firefox, but last time I upgraded I switched back to Safari and it's been decent. Love Chrome on the PCs when I'm at work, but haven't used it much on my Mac.

1KDS
02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Safari often unzips or re-zips files, I always use FF

Zzyyzx
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hmmm... interesting about Safari. Had never noticed that. I'll work on getting all my bookmarks and settings over to Chrome and/or FF and seeing what they're like.

On another note, my wife & I both have Droid Xs... if I purchase Bootstrap on my phone, is it possible to find the apk and install it on her phone? Not that I have a problem spending $2 on a program, but just curious.

Thanks again for the info!

Phildo
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
that problem is easily fixed

Safari -> Preferences -> General tab -> uncheck "automatically open safe files downloaded" at bottom. i have yet to have any issues and i mainly use my mac to do all my downloading