PDA

View Full Version : help installing roms

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Droid x rooted a while ago by someone and now want to install a rom. Been reading for months but I wud feel more comfortable with someone helping me. Need step by step instructions. Anyone wanna help?

jloya
02-16-2011, 02:44 PM
of course :)

if your rooted download bootstrap

once bootsraped boot into recovery and make a back up of your current set up

lets just satrt with that first

so download bootstrap

in the app select bootsrap recovery

once that is complete select reboot recovery

then once booted into recovery use the volume rockers to scroll down and select back up / restore - use the camera button to select

then scrolll down and select back up

let me know when the back up is complete

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
So i thought I replied but I guess it didn't go thru so now I'm doing it on the app. Any ways I was apologizing in advance because ive never actually used forums and not really sure how things work like if I'm supoosed to respond super quick. My question tho was am I going to have to buy bootstrap everytime I put in a rom?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

DieseL
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
No. One and done.

DebianDog
02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
see video in signature

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Im trying to download it right now but its been on authorizing for the longest time. Cant refund either. Il try to figure it out. back in a lil

mikeinrichmond
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
... My question tho was am I going to have to buy bootstrap everytime I put in a rom?

No, it's an app that you pay for once only, and use it as much as you like. Any other app you pay for in the Market will always be free to re-download as well, so no worries.. :)

DD's videos are a great place to start on your Rom'ing adventures!

dirtyfingers
02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Im trying to download it right now but its been on authorizing for the longest time. Cant refund either. Il try to figure it out. back in a lil

I can't remember if this app is billed from another country or not, but when I purchase apps from places other than the US I have to call my bank and ask them to temporarily take the block off my card so I can make out of country purchases.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

maybish
02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
The address I got is in Seattle Washington so you should be fine!

sent from Mays Rockin X!!!

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Its still not working. Il give it a while longer

maybish
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
What is it doing???

sent from Mays Rockin X!!!

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Finally went thru so im gonna use it

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Wut about titanium backup. Shud I use that?

Koopa Troopa
02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
That is used to back up all of your apps to your SD card so you don't have to redownload them. It does a lot of other really cool things as well. I highly recommend it of youre going to be ROMing.

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
So shud I deal with titanium before using bootstrap

mikeinrichmond
02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Watch this very informative video before going further because it explains a lot of the questions you are asking...Just don't mind the title.. :)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html#post173866

jloya
02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I would mess with titanium after bootstrap

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Finished watching the video. He said it was a good idea to have a copy of titanium backup. How do u do that and wen I wipe the phone the stuff on sd card is still safe? Sry def a noob question

Pnutts
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Did bootstrap thing and titanium next. Guess il just dl a rom install it after

DebianDog
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Finished watching the video. He said it was a good idea to have a copy of titanium backup. How do u do that and wen I wipe the phone the stuff on sd card is still safe? Sry def a noob question

go to the site and download it to your SD card (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/files/TitaniumBackup_latest.apk)

mcdonnjd
02-17-2011, 07:51 AM
go to the site and download it to your SD card (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/files/TitaniumBackup_latest.apk)
I had been meaning to find that, thanks for saving me the Google search. XD

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 08:36 AM
When using titanium backup which ootion do u pick to save apps along with the data like games with their saved level. Read somewhere that the apps + system data option shud be used and others said that messes u up wrn u restore it.

mcdonnjd
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Read somewhere that the apps + system data option shud be used and others said that messes u up wrn u restore it.
It depends on what you are running when you do the backup and when you do the restore. If you back up on stock, you don't want to restore the system data on pretty much any custom ROM as all the custom ROMs are de-odexed while the stock ROM is odexed. When switching from a blurry ROM to a non-blur ROM, you can get issues because of the requirements for blur elements that aren't on the blur-less ROM. Not sure about going from non-blur to blurry, but I think it's the same type of deal.

Basically, I'd recommend against restoring the system on anything except the ROM you backed system up on. Even then, depending on if any of the system updates were updated, you might get some funny results.

*Note: This is all based upon things I have read. I have yet to use TiBu yet as I only learned of it after I put a new ROM on and had already lost all my saved Angry Birds progress. I've managed to keep from starting again while I've been fiddling with the different ROMs so I've still not used it.

**Note2: I'm amazed that no one has already replied to this as I started typing it at about 2 minutes after it was posted, but then the phone call from a vendor finally came and we set up the new software we're going to evaluate and then I went to lunch and took care of some stuff at the other building and finally got back here now.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
k i think i get wut ur saying. so is there a way to keep saved data on the apps?

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I've read that other people use it to backup their games' save data, so I'd imagine yes. I've never used it, so I don't know how to do that. I wouldn't mind not loosing all my progress next time I update a ROM, so I'm going to have to look into this as well. I'm sure someone else will come around and either tell you how, or point you to a thread that already explains it. :)

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes TiBU will save all apps + data if you back them up. You can actually set up the Pro version to auto-backup I believe.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Isnt it apps + system data? Thats wut it says I think and from wut I heard u shudnt restore that on a blurrless rom. Got somebody messaging me about this stuff. Anyways I guess I can give up saves to get a rom

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
if you back all apps +data, check mark the apps you want to restore so that you dont inadvertantly restore system apps.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Ok thanks droid exer. Il do that after I install a rom. Oh yea I was asking someone else am itoo too much of a noob to use liberty first?

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Actually i think liberty is best to start with. It does alot of things automatically from the toolbox. So give it a go. Just follow the instructions in the OP of the ROM.

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
It's not really anything of being a n00b as long as you are willing to learn. I went straight from stock to GummyJAR. It was different but felt more natural to me. A lot of it depends on what you want to do and what your preferences are. Now I'm on ApeX and am liking it a lot better. I tried Liberty and 1.0 wasn't bad, but with 1.5 my phone just wasn't as stable, plus the battery life wasn't good. YMMV

You can always flash a Blur ROM if you find Liberty not to your liking. There's enough people on here that will help if you want to do something on Liberty but can't figure it out. It's all about choice and preference and what YOUR phone can handle. (Not all phones will overclock the same, just like not all computers with the exact same setup can overclock the same. Minor differences in the flaws created during manufacturing all these tiny chips that go in your phone give varying results as to how far you can push them.)

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks all. I think il try apex first and then liberty. I shud just find a rom somewhere and follow the instructions right?

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Wait is apex a blur rom?

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
ApeX is blurry yes. It's a nice combination of stock and blur. RubiX Blurry is supposed to be pretty nice as well, and it's the only one I've yet to try. (Well that and Tranquility, but not sure I'll ever get around to that one.)

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
So wuts the terminal emulator thing? Am I going to need that for apex?

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
A copy is included with the ROM. It's basically like running xterm on a *nix box or the command prompt on a Windows machine, though more like xterm.

Type su at the prompt to go into superuser mode. You can then run updatetb (I think that's the command) to run the script to update the Toolbox to the latest version. After that, you can run apextoolbox to launch the toolbox and it's menu driven from there.

There are also various other things you can do from the command line in terminal emulator. I use to to SSH into some of my servers at work when I'm not at my desk but on the WiFi. I wish I could get my Cisco VPN working on my DX so I could do it from anywhere.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Ok I have no idea wut u said. Seems like thats gonna be a big problem. Shud I even be installing a rom. I want to because of better battery life, performance, custimization... Ah f it il do it and learn as I go I guess.

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Hehe, it's a lot easier than it sounds. But there's the option of going with Liberty as well. Their toolbox is a GUI instead. (Has buttons to click instead of typing numbers to go through the menu system.

EDIT>> There's also the option of not doing anything at all in the toolbox. Even without tweaking via the toolbox, ApeX is a pretty slick ROM.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I will just gave to try it. If I mess up il always have my nandroid backup right. Thanks gorgorath

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I will just gave to try it. If I mess up il always have my nandroid backup right. Thanks gorgarath
There's your nandroid backup, and if you somehow manage to really screw it up and can't get into clockwork (it can be hard to actually screw it up this bad), there's always the SBF as well.

No problem, and if you run into any problems, there's usually someone lurking about to help. :)

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
need help. im in the clockwork recovery. i wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache partition then install zip from sd. it said install complete but nothing happened

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Back arrow and reboot

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:13 PM
back arrow?

jloya
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
3rd key to the right at the bottom of your X ;P

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Ya the hard key. Back arrow or home key will move u back

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 03:16 PM
The hard back key. (I think on the X, since it's a physical key, it works.) Or you can also press the power button to go back to the previous screen.

(Note: Don't press and hold, just a regular press like you did with the camera key or volume rockers.)

EDIT>> Majorly ninja'ed. :lol:

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
oh ok thanks. its working now thanks

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
If you're installing apex have patience. It'll take between 5-10 minutes to boot.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
ok so i have to go to market and then wait for my apps to come back. wen i go to market it shows my paid apps as purchased so do i dl them or do they pop in my app drawer later

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
and jloya ur pm is full btw

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Wait for market to autodownload

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
ok. and as far as using TiBu shud i restore all apps + system data? since Apex is i guess blurry

mcdonnjd
02-17-2011, 04:02 PM
ApeX is deodex while stock is odexed. So I'd say no to the system apps.

Also, ApeX replaces some system apps with non-blur options.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
oh thank goodness i didnt do that then. well my apps still havent popped in the drawer yet.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
was i supposed to use backup assistant?

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
You can. You can either restore your apps with TiBU or wait for the market. If you're on 3g it can take 30 minutes or so

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Having market restore them also requires you telling Google to keep backups. If you unchecked that box when you first linked your phone to your Google account (or later went into settings and told it to delete those settings) it won't restore your apps.

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
i unchecked it

Pnutts
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
how do i find it now

jloya
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
i would just go into market and manually start downloading apps (that is if you dont have 100 like some people lol)

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Just sownload TiBU and then restore apps

Gorgarath
02-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I keep track of my apps with AppBrain as well. I semi-use it to make sure I re-download everything and also for the ability to search their site for apps. Some of the recommended apps they come up with are rather nice.

pixieninja
02-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Okay, I have a question what exactly does ROM manager do? Can you install roms from it? Does it control them? I'm confused entirely on the whole thing. I read on one thread it is recommended to have the app but it didn't go into detail on what the app does.

WugFresh
02-18-2011, 02:44 AM
It's like clockwork recovery (bootstrapper) when the phone is already booted up. Its a Graphical User Interface for managing your backups and stuff. You can install ROMs through it, but not all the ROM devs upload their ROMs through it. Some do. It's not really needed since everything can be done with bootstrapp.

{{ WugFresh }}

pixieninja
02-18-2011, 02:54 AM
Okay makes sense, and black hat? Is that the same thing?