PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking

KClods76
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey everyone I just rooted my phone and I was messing with overclocking it and it keeps freezing up. Stock I did a quadrant score of 1392.. rooted I scored 1460.. oc at 1.2 preset a 1656 but kept freezing.. and lowered it to 1.1 preset and scored a 1500. What I don't understand is o have seen people run at 1.2 w/o any problems. Is it possible the task killer/manager is doing this? Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yeah im using droid x/droid 2 overclock if that makes a difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Droid-Xer
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
All processors max speed are different. There is no guarantee you can go over the stock mandated 1ghz. If its freezing then you need to lower the speed or raise the vsel. Quadrant Standard isnt a valid benchmark. Don't go based off of that.

skennelly
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
did you happen to mess with the voltages? I know I'll see people running ulv, but on my phone it is unstable.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

izomiac
02-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Check your vsel, and raise it if you're comfortable with the voltage. IIRC 96 is the maximum that the chip is designed for, but don't take my word on that. Higher vsels use more battery power, but run in that state for a shorter time, so they typically save battery life. More about that at the end if you're curious.

Each phone is different. That's the reason the standard clock speed is 1,000 MHz at the standard vsel. Some phones can be overclocked at the same vsel, some can drop the vsel for power savings, and some lucky people manage to get a phone that can do both. If the clock speed is too high for the vsel, then the processor is unpredictable. This may instantly cause a crash, or it may cause the phone to run slowly, or it may only reveal itself when you're doing something like playing flash in the web browser. It's subjective as to how much stability you require. The stock settings work for everyone (hence why TI let them through their quality control checks), but your phone might be able to do better. Or it might not. It's just luck of the draw.

As for how a higher vsel might ensure longer battery life, it's a concept called "race to idle". The original Droid's vsels could be converted to voltage by the formula: .6 + vsel/80, so a vsel of 80 corresponded to 1.6 V. So, imagine two phones, one running at 1500 MHz and a vsel of 96, and another underclocked/volted to 750 MHz and a vsel of 48. If they do 15 trillion calculations, the first will run at 1.8 V for 10 seconds, the second will run at 1.2 V for 20 seconds. So the first uses 25% less energy overall, just considering the processor. If you also take into account that the second will be running the radios, screen, and SD card for twice as long, the power savings with the first become more apparent. There are two exceptions to this rule. First, some games will use 100% CPU all the time, which is poor programming really, but that creates more work for an overclocked processor, which uses more energy (albeit graphics are slightly better). Second, with apps that require timing (e.g. games) the calculations needed per unit of time is fixed (e.g. 40 million per frame in 1/24th of a second). If your processor is faster than that, it might waste energy to quickly calculate then idle but not step down (depends on a great many processor-related factors). That's why it's important to have proper settings for each clock speed (and check processor stats so they're more evenly distributed). Pay particular attention to the lowest clock speed, as that's where your phone will spend 99% of its time usually.

xrazedx
02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey everyone I just rooted my phone and I was messing with overclocking it and it keeps freezing up. Stock I did a quadrant score of 1392.. rooted I scored 1460.. oc at 1.2 preset a 1656 but kept freezing.. and lowered it to 1.1 preset and scored a 1500. What I don't understand is o have seen people run at 1.2 w/o any problems. Is it possible the task killer/manager is doing this? Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yeah im using droid x/droid 2 overclock if that makes a difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

As it was already said, every X must be able to run at 1 ghz and aything above that is not guaranteed. Try raising the values until you find something stable.
If you're undervolting, check the link in my sig.

Droid-Xer
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Download quick clock advanced. It'll save you the pain of finding your lowest stable vsel. 80 is the highest semistable vsel. You want to keep it ideally at no more than 75 imo.