PDA

View Full Version : Using phone to tether WiFi instead of 3G data? (via bluetooth)

Kr0n0Tr1pR
02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Forgot my wifi password at work (I have it written down at home) I'm rooted and I have wifi tether that works fairly well to tether my computer over 3G. But in my office I don't get the best reception and 3G is not that reliable.

My wifi password is saved onto my phone, and I can access wifi from my phone. I was wondering if I can somehow connect the phone and the computer (via bluetooth maybe?) and have my computer use the wifi that my phone is receiving. This would ensure a reliable connection (in theory.) Honestly, I don't know if it would be faster/more reliable or not.

I downloaded an app (wifi passwords) that can extract my wifi passwords and display them, it works for all my saved networks except my work network (the password field shows up as blank.) So therefore it is useless.

I'm using 3G to tether right now but ideally I would just like to get my wifi password back.

TekWarren
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Your question seems a little odd to me being that I work IT. Why don't you simply ask your IT personnel for the password again? You won't be the first person to have forgotten a password of some sort :smile:

Also what you are asking/suggesting is for the phone to act as a bridge which I don't think would be possible. The DX would need two network interfaces, one connecting to your saved work wifi and another to be available for your computer to connect to. It can't happen on the same interface.

Snow02
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
You can long press your work wifi in wifi settings on the phone, choose modify, check show password.

Kr0n0Tr1pR
02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
@TekWarren: The main reason I didn't talk to IT was because I have it written down at home, and didn't want to go through the whole hassle of changing passwords for a fairly stupid mistake and I thought I could solve the problem myself. The other reason being, I just wanted to know if it were possible... I find it unusual that my work network was the only network who's password would not be revealed to me by using the above mentioned password-extractor app.

@Snow02: I tried this, and in the password field it said "unchanged" instead of showing me the characters.

I "solved" the problem in a relatively inspired way by plugging my laptop into the LAN. Occam's Razor.

Can anyone else pipe in and comment on TekWarren's post and verify that, indeed, this is not possible?

kradebaugh
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah he's right. To do that your phone would need like two wifi atennas or something like that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Snow02
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know an app that will do it off the top of my head. Wmwifirouter for winmo would let you use an internet connection from cellular, wifi, or bluetooth, and share it over any connection. Just couldn't share wifi via wifi, etc. But wifi -> usb or bluetooth was definitely doable. No idea why it wouldn't be on android.

TekWarren
02-14-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know an app that will do it off the top of my head. Wmwifirouter for winmo would let you use an internet connection from cellular, wifi, or bluetooth, and share it over any connection. Just couldn't share wifi via wifi, etc. But wifi -> usb or bluetooth was definitely doable. No idea why it wouldn't be on android.

I did kinda miss what the OP wanted to do and you are (in theory) correct. You can't be connected as well as share that connection using the same interface. But it may be possible (now that I re-read the OP) to share wifi via BT but like you said...does an app exist?

DMikeM
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Being a Network Admin, there is no way I would allow this. I would suspect OP user wants to circumvent my Network Content filters and be able to go to any site he wanted. Might not be the case but it is the first thing I thought of. People are always going to be people.

TekWarren
02-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Being a Network Admin, there is no way I would allow this. I would suspect OP user wants to circumvent my Network Content filters and be able to go to any site he wanted. Might not be the case but it is the first thing I thought of. People are always going to be people.

There really wouldn't be a way for you to "allow/disallow" this if the device had the capability. Well other than having the knowledge that he was re-sharing the wifi connection with a third party device and physically taking the device away. In which case it would still be subject to any filtering that was in place...I'm confused by your statement a little since the OP is looking for a way to share his workplace wifi via one of the DX's other interfaces not use the 3g to get unfiltered internet access. I'd like to think this isn't happening on our network since we lock this down pretty well but there's nothing stopping kids from bringing in their own laptops and tethering (I work in IT for a school)

dirk
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm looking for a similar app. I bought myself an iPad3 recently, only wifi and no 4G, because I can use the Wifi-hotspot app on my Android cellphone instead. And of course this app connects to the 3G network.
But I need an app that connects to my wifi at home and acts as wifi hotspot for my iPad. Here's the reason:
At home I connect my Android phone on my wifi network without any problem, but the iPad won't connect and it looks like the reason is that an iPad won't connect with my older AP with WEP 128b security. (I know I know... this is not secure at all, but it is a temporary solution for some more weeks. I have another newer AP with WPA but it is currently in use acting as a wireless bridge.)

I'm not sure about Android but isn't it possible to create virtual net interfaces, so an app could do the tethering from wifi to wifi?